Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Spyder's July 5-6 NJMP First Track Day Experience (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9202)

spyder 07-07-2009 01:26 PM

Spyder's July 5-6 NJMP First Track Day Experience

First of all I would like to thank Jim and all the guys at TPM especially (Omar, Bollar, Dave Z, and Bill Sink) for making my first 2 days at the track the most memorable days I have had in a long time besides my wedding of course... I really had no idea what to expect for my first track days. I have been listening to you clowns for years now about how fun the track is and that once you go to the track you will not want to stop going. Well, I can say that its all that, then some and a bag of chips...

Day 1 - As most of you already know the first half of the day was on the track and in the classroom.. The first two sessions were follow the leader going pretty slow so they could show you the line that you should take around the track. Then on the 3rd session we were followed by the coaches and then by the forth session we were able to play with everyone in the white group. After lunch we then got to actually line up with the white group and go out but still with our blue jerseys on so all the rest of the white group new to stay clear because we did not even know where we were going so how could they. I think the hardest part for me was not having my mirrors on (I guess I always look in them when I am on the street) and learning how hard or how not hard to get on the brakes before coming into the turns. You eventually realize that if you are on line you can really carry a ton of speed around most of T-Bolt.

Day 2 - was really exhausting because I was already tired from my first day. It was also the day that I had the most fun. Being able to go out and just ride my ride trying to follow the line at speed and with the proper form. There were a few times that I went into turn 1 going "OH CRAP" I am going to go wide because I am carring too much speed and then making the turn going phew that was close and, DAYMN I guess I could go that fast everytime around that turn because it set me up perrfectly for turn 2. After lunch I had the worst session possible, I guess my head was somewhere where it should not of been while on the track and I missed a gear going into turn one, went straight and missed the turn. I got back on the track and then pulled off next time around as I was not with it that session. I went and spoke to Dave Z to see if he would work with me and he of course told me absolutely just come and get me 1 session before you want to go out and he would gladly take me around the track. Dave and I line up on the right side and get to go out first. Me follwing him for the first lap then him following me for then next 3 laps. Coming out of turn 10 he passes me and waves me to go into the garage area. We make our way to the TPM trailer and he say's " Welcome to Red Group". I was absolutely shocked as I was not expecting that at all. At this point in the day their was only 1 session left and I got to go out with the red group. Dave told me to line up with him again and he would make sure that the wolves would not eat me alive. So we line up at the right again, this time with another rider trying to get into blue group, and we get to go out somewhat close to the front of the pack. I was tailing the both of them for a few laps and then they pulled ahead then off the track and I continued to the end of the session.

Overall, I have to say that I am hooked on the track and asking myself what the hell has been keeping me from going for the past 5-6 years now? I am not too sure how many days I will get to this season but, I will definitely get to a couple more.

Jake 07-07-2009 01:35 PM

Glad to hear you got out there and enjoyed it.. now just remember with great addiction comes great debt :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

CBRBob 07-07-2009 01:37 PM

Welcome to our world.

Cakes206 07-07-2009 01:37 PM

Excellent write up Nick and congrats on your bump to red...welcome to your new addiction...whens the first garage sale? :lol:

Respect_My_Authorita 07-07-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder (Post 100886)
....my first 2 days at the track the most memorable days I have had in a long time besides my wedding of course...

nice work there :lol:

good luck and welcome.

GinoE 07-07-2009 01:55 PM

great write-up!
(dang, 2nd day at the track & already in red - i am at trackday #33 in white)

John712 07-07-2009 02:55 PM

Welcome to the new addiction Nicky boy!!!!

Congrats on the bump to red!!!

Respect_My_Authorita 07-07-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinoE (Post 100895)
great write-up!
(dang, 2nd day at the track & already in red - i am at trackday #33 in white)

i did 40 something trackdays and i still suck. yer not alone.

good to see you at the track gino.

i will have to send you that bogie shirt. may be tomorrow when i go to post office lol.

JasonB 07-07-2009 05:58 PM

Nick, good write up. Glad to see you at the track. Good job on the bump!

JimRBlue 07-07-2009 06:44 PM

Nick.. Glad that I could finally get you out there.. Push the confirm button now, was that it? Seriously though.. Glad you got out there and did so well. Those 2 or 3 sessions out there with you right with me were quite the blast.!! I never thought we were riding that tight until after we came to pit out. Congrats on the bump and excellent riding! We all had a great weekend and I am looking forward to another one!
Even with the tie down hassles we managed.. Now we should be set for the next one!

Brian78 07-07-2009 09:16 PM

awesome nick.. you did really good sunday!

High_Revs_17 07-07-2009 09:25 PM

Nick! You were always very comfortable pushing it on the street, I'm not surprised in the least to know you're already in Red. Congrats Bro!

BTW, did your Clavicle bother you at all or has that been good to go for while?

MarioB 07-07-2009 10:12 PM

Great job out there Nick, not many can say they got bumped on their second day. Good things come to those who listen, we'll see you in blue soon.

yb929rr 07-07-2009 10:47 PM

congrats nick on the bump. and good to see you out there.

FDNYDANO18 07-07-2009 11:05 PM

welcome to life defined by counting the days till your next trackday.....:moocow::crackup: