Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wrench It (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil pan leaking (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2796)

JasonB 05-31-2006 10:25 AM

Oil pan leaking

Hey all...i need some help on how to repair a stripped oil pan. The drain plug is leaking. How can i fix this with out replacing the oil pan?

Be as detailed as possible..

soda7o 05-31-2006 10:29 AM

do what i do.. i have the saem problem.. .i just put silicone around it.. doesnt leake anymore and when its time for an oil change i just remove th esilicone..

Mack 05-31-2006 10:33 AM

Just get a self threading larger diameter bolt and put it in...that's what I would do.

High_Revs_17 05-31-2006 10:36 AM

Take note of the bolt size and pick up a Heli Coil that's one size larger. Drain the pan and thread the Coil into the stripped threads so it can cut new ones. Then pick up a new bolt to match the new threads along with a new crush washer. It's either that or get a new pan.

I hope you didn't hit up VIR with the bike like that.

duc748pilot 05-31-2006 10:37 AM

oil pans suck. you shouldnt really thread and tap for a larger bolt, the pan normally isnt thick enough. Helicoil or you can TRY silicone although I dont reccomend it one bit. or replace the pan. use a torque wrench next time ; )

High_Revs_17 05-31-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soda7o
i just put silicone around it.. doesnt leake anymore and when its time for an oil change i just remove th esilicone..

Silcone and JB Weld can't fix everything, if that bolt's stripped you're walking a thin line between safety and danger. If it comes loose and drops down it'll drain the pan all over your rear tire while causing a blown motor and possibly a bad wreck for you and whoever's behind you.

JasonB 05-31-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
oil pans suck. you shouldnt really thread and tap for a larger bolt, the pan normally isnt thick enough. Helicoil or you can TRY silicone although I dont reccomend it one bit. or replace the pan. use a torque wrench next time ; )

So you are saying that i should replace the oil pan??

duc748pilot 05-31-2006 10:55 AM

you should try the helicoil first. check your pm's

soda7o 05-31-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
Silcone and JB Weld can't fix everything, if that bolt's stripped you're walking a thin line between safety and danger. If it comes loose and drops down it'll drain the pan all over your rear tire while causing a blown motor and possibly a bad wreck for you and whoever's behind you.

dont ride be hind me... :)
jbweld and zipties along with some silicone hold my bike together.. :)
my is not relaly leaking tho ok ok maybe just a tiny tine bit but i think its the washer. so i was to alzy to drain the oil an dge t anew washer so i siliconed it..
BTW its time for my anual oil change.. what oil do i need... HMMM? i have no fucking cluew

ffejtable 05-31-2006 01:02 PM

I had a leaking oil drain plug on my 96 and I replaced the whole pan only to find out it was the actual bolt. Unusual because the pan I believe is aluminum (softer) than the steel plug, but replacing the pan ($100+) didnt do the trick. I tried the "right" size plug from Pep boys/Strauss and that didnt work either. It wasnt until I used the correct Kawi part until the problem went away. I spent $150+ and it wound up being a $6 repair. :(

Might not be the same for you, but something to consider.

I certainly wouldnt use silicone, but if you do make sure its the high temp stuff.

Make sure you replace the crush washer as well as the bolt.

Cakes206 05-31-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase
i need some help on how to repair a stripped oil pan. The drain plug is leaking.

The pan might not be stripped, could be a crush washer problem. Unless of course you knowingly stripped it.

JasonB 06-03-2006 07:29 PM

When doing the helicoil, do I have to remove the oil pan completely?

Cakes - Yeah it's stripped

CBRBob 06-03-2006 07:38 PM

If you are removing the pan, get a gasket and a new pan and drain plug with a washer, just do it, it's not that $$ and it will be 100%

AfricanBootyScratcher 06-03-2006 07:50 PM

yeh, what bob said. better to be safe than sorry. might as well drill the bolt and safety wire while you're there anyway

bobbydigital04 06-03-2006 11:37 PM

getting the new pan would be easiest, but if you decide to fix the old one, you dont need to take it off to helicoil it but it will be a bitch doing it upside down while laying on the ground. and if you do it with it on the bike, afterwards leave the plug out and dump a quart of oil in the filler hole while shakin the bike around a little to get all the metal shavings out