Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NJ Motorcycle Officer Loses Leg (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6363)

Kennedy 02-15-2008 01:22 AM

NJ Motorcycle Officer Loses Leg

http://www.officer.com/web/online/To...-Crash/1$40120

No files were charged against the driver.....hmm

NYCSTRIPES 02-15-2008 02:44 AM

Unfortunate part of riding a police bike, getting seriously injured is always a possibility. Police stickers and lights don't prevent accidents and riding in inclement weather is part of the job. Sucks to hear that he got hurt so badly.

Hope he can make some kind of recovery and maintain a decent qualiity of life.
Ken

tommymac 02-15-2008 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES (Post 82252)
Unfortunate part of riding a police bike, getting seriously injured is always a possibility. Police stickers and lights don't prevent accidents and riding in inclement weather is part of the job. Sucks to hear that he got hurt so badly.

Hope he can make some kind of recovery and maintain a decent qualiity of life.
Ken

If he was lucky (if you could say that) they amputated below the knee so he can better use a prosthetic limb.

Tom

carl_g 02-15-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennedy (Post 82249)

No files were charged against the driver.....hmm

That is a bummer..
I don't see why the driver would be charged though.. according to this:
"Bergen County Police Sgt. William Koretsky, 46, had some type of trouble negotiating a hill on Route 9W in Orangetown, N.Y., when his cycle collided with a box truck heading south, said Lt. John McAndrew of the Orangetown police."

Sounds like the cop crossed the line into oncoming traffic.:(

Kennedy 02-15-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ism409 (Post 82262)
That is a bummer..
I don't see why the driver would be charged though.. according to this:
"Bergen County Police Sgt. William Koretsky, 46, had some type of trouble negotiating a hill on Route 9W in Orangetown, N.Y., when his cycle collided with a box truck heading south, said Lt. John McAndrew of the Orangetown police."

Sounds like the cop crossed the line into oncoming traffic.:(

I was insinuating that there could have possibly been some foul play involved. But with his age....and the type of motorcycle he was riding I highly doubt they were trying to "tear up" the hills :roflmao:

NYCSTRIPES 02-15-2008 12:19 PM

Chris
realistically is was probably just a case of the cop riding onto some black ice. Funeral Details in wintertime are dangerous for motor cops. I doubt it if foul play had anything to do with it. Still a tragedy just the same.
Ken

Kennedy 02-15-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES (Post 82279)
Chris
realistically is was probably just a case of the cop riding onto some black ice. Funeral Details in wintertime are dangerous for motor cops. I doubt it if foul play had anything to do with it. Still a tragedy just the same.
Ken

Ken I have no doubts that motor cops is a dangerous job I would never want to be one even though I love riding, but with them bergen/hudson county boys you never know :lol: .....However you are probably right about the black ice or even salt causing the accident it probably didn't help that they were in a foreign state as well as probably unknown roads.

Sucks to happen, LEO or not.

High_Revs_17 02-15-2008 06:38 PM

A COPS episode a while back was riding with a Officer with a prosthetic limb just above the knee, the guy he was trying to arrest ran from him, but moments after the cop caught up and took him down, so I'm sure this guy's future might not have to change much.

V2Rider 02-16-2008 08:41 PM

Thats really to bad. At least he is upbeat as said, and lucky to be alive. I wonder how the other cops also wrecked? Did they ALL have some sort of mishap?:doh: