Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension, Tires, Handling (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tire Wear (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6645)

Jimmy 05-07-2008 10:56 AM

Tire Wear

1 Attachment(s)
Tire has 1 day on it at Summit Main. Started the day at 30 psi hot.

Is it the suspension or me? :lol:

Mike295 05-07-2008 11:00 AM

ok thats some weird ass wear. That looks to me like suspension. I dont know shit but it looks to me the ride hight has something to do with it. seems to be spining up when you are upright.

NYCSTRIPES 05-07-2008 11:09 AM

Looks to be a rear suspension issue to me as well. I don't know what the weather was like for you on Monday but the pressure also seems a bit low. I run Metzeler Racetecs at 32PSI cold and they were terrific all season except in colder weather where I would drop them to 30PSI cold.

I don't know what happened to this website, but maybe its down for maintenance.
Catalyst Reaction. Great pictures of tire wear and the probable causes.
www.feelthetrack.com

wcrbikemike 05-07-2008 11:20 AM

As mentioned it is most likley suspension. I have done that to two tires already this season. One at Summit Main and the other at VIR Full. Nedless to say my suspension is off the bike and getting a full overhaul as we speak. You may be sprung to soft and have the rebound set to fast. Were you getting the bike dancing around under you on high speed turns?

Jimmy 05-07-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES (Post 85632)
Looks to be a rear suspension issue to me as well. I don't know what the weather was like for you on Monday but the pressure also seems a bit low.

Ken... this was at the end of last season. Just trying to decide if I need to upgrade the suspension. The 30 psi hot is what I hear Pirelli suggests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcrbikemike (Post 85633)
Were you getting the bike dancing around under you on high speed turns?

Only thing noticeable was that I was getting a lot of tire spin coming out of turn 9.

Ripp53 05-07-2008 11:31 AM

use to work for a big tire man. and you never check air presure hot. thats way to low when it's cold. you might have miss heard i could beleave 30 cold.

Cakes206 05-07-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripp53 (Post 85635)
use to work for a big tire man. and you never check air presure hot. thats way to low when it's cold. you might have miss heard i could beleave 30 cold.

Pirelli is saying to set the psi hot now, past 2 years or so(which I still don't get but oh well.)

carl_g 05-07-2008 11:41 AM

Nice chicken strips james! :lol:

Ripp53 05-07-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes206 (Post 85636)
Pirelli is saying to set the psi hot now, past 2 years or so(which I still don't get but oh well.)

kind of stupid because yourout on the track then you have to come in and ajust your tire presure then go back out.if they r says 30 out they must be setting it at 23 to 25 psi cold.

Chris 05-07-2008 11:54 AM

The track had fresh pavemant last year,everyones tires looked like that.

RCM78 05-07-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripp53 (Post 85638)
kind of stupid because yourout on the track then you have to come in and ajust your tire presure then go back out.if they r says 30 out they must be setting it at 23 to 25 psi cold.

Not if your using warmers...

RCM78 05-07-2008 11:58 AM

Jimmy, It may be suspension but most likely it's your throttle hand.

Looks like your picking the bike up off the corners and wacking the throttle open. Try to crack the throttle open and roll it open throughout the corner.

My tires used to look like that. I refined my throttle application and they now look smooth.

Jimmy 05-07-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM78 (Post 85641)
Jimmy, It may be suspension but most likely it's your throttle hand.

Looks like your picking the bike up off the corners and wacking the throttle open. Try to crack the throttle open and roll it open throughout the corner.

My tires used to look like that. I refined my throttle application and they now look smooth.

I am spinning the tire so that is probably the case. I've had that problem in the past but thought I cured it. I'll have to make more of an effort to roll on smoother... and earlier!

NYCSTRIPES 05-07-2008 12:31 PM

Jim
Have a look at the pics on this site. Dan found it last year from a vendor at the bike show.
Just a guess but the tire looks like a split between hot tearing and shock spring tearing.
Hopefully this may help sort things out.
http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

carl_g 05-07-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES (Post 85643)
Jim
Have a look at the pics on this site. Dan found it last year from a vendor at the bike show.
Just a guess but the tire looks like a split between hot tearing and shock spring tearing.
Hopefully this may help sort things out.
http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

Nice website!
If you look at them closely and compare to Jimmy's tire none of them really match.
Both cold tear and shock spring tear have the tears running vertically on the tire. Jimmy's tire shows it balling up in a horizontal pattern.