Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Inspecting your bike..... (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2305)

ImmaSquashYou 04-12-2006 07:08 PM

Inspecting your bike.....

I just want to make sure that i'm not wrong. Bikes are NOT tested for emissions in the state of NJ correct?? I have a 2 bro's exhaust and no stock pipe because i bought it used. I have everything else needed to pass just wanted to know if my exhaust would be a problem at all. If it would, would neone lend me their stock pipe for a 01 f4i?????

Thanks a Bunch!!!

P.S. i'm talking about the state's facility and not a private one.

HondaGalToo 04-12-2006 07:25 PM

Correct: They do not test for emissions. Just make sure you've got all the reflective crap on your helmet, and a clear shield.

CBRBob 04-12-2006 08:22 PM

They dont check for emissions but ANY aftermarket exhaust is NOT legal in NJ. It's if they don't like you enough to fail you for it. They do usually make you start the bike and shut it off with the cut-off switch to make sure that works. That is their chance to see if you are D&D LOUD. If not, good shot at passing.

Marker54 04-12-2006 09:23 PM

Just had my bike inspected by the State 2 weeks ago, they didnt even make me start it, but did check: signals, headlight/high beam, VIN #, tape on helmet, tires, front & rear brake light and boots.
Took all of about 3 minutes, did not wait in the 85 minute line, but can undestand that they can pretty much call you out on whatever they feel...SO BE POLITE!!!

High_Revs_17 04-12-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marker01
and boots.

They checked your boots? That's a new one...

HondaGalToo 04-12-2006 10:04 PM

I've luckily never had a problem with aftermarket exhausts on any of my bikes, and they've always asked me to start them. The Duc isn't exactly quiet, but I just don't rev it a lot when I start it. They may start clamping down on them in the future, but hopefully not. Stock is boring! :P

Marker54 04-12-2006 10:05 PM

yeah bro...shes like "are those above your ankle? "

CBRBob 04-12-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
They checked your boots? That's a new one...

Fuzz will pass every time!

jcblitz 04-12-2006 10:18 PM

I had a 2bro's and no problem, but I was asked if the baffle has been removed though. But I've never had any problems with inspections. I don't know what the deal with the helmet reflectors are, the DMV doesn't list them as required. I've never had reflectors / reflective helmet or been asked by the inspectors about it and I've gone through at least 10 inspections.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_regis...otorcycle.html
NJ Inspection Requirements

During inspection, the following items are checked:

* License plates with current decal, current registration, insurance I.D., and current motorcycle driver license
* Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment
* Handle bars or grip no more than 15 inches higher than the seat or saddle for operator
* Horn
* Red rear light and reflector
* Stop light
* Head light
* Rear view mirror
* Exhaust system
* Tires
* Seat, hand holds, and foot rests
* Adequate brakes (Note: all 1974 and later motorcycles require brakes on front and rear wheels.)

Note: Motorcycles are now due for inspection from April through October.

CBRBob 04-12-2006 10:33 PM

You are required to have 4 sq. inches of retroreflective material on each side of the helmet. Amber, red or white are acceptable.

jcblitz 04-12-2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBRBob
You are required to have 4 sq. inches of retroreflective material on each side of the helmet. Amber, red or white are acceptable.

From the DMV's site:
Passenger Requirements
A passenger must have an approved protective helmet, including required reflective tape (4 square inches on each side)

Do they consider the rider the passenger?

ImmaSquashYou 04-12-2006 11:47 PM

hymm....then should i get my bike inspected then??? the two brother's isn't very loud at start. Kinda quiet. Its only a slip-on. Oh, and i don't have the rear reflector. I only got the stock brake light in the back. Does anyone know if the one in freehold , nj is friendly???

jcblitz 04-12-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
hymm....then should i get my bike inspected then??? the two brother's isn't very loud at start. Kinda quiet. Its only a slip-on. Oh, and i don't have the rear reflector. I only got the stock brake light in the back. Does anyone know if the one in freehold , nj is friendly???

The worst they'll do is fail you and I think you have a temp pass for like 12 days or something to fix it. I can only speak for the one in Wayne on 46, those guys don't give a shit every time I've been there.

High_Revs_17 04-13-2006 12:07 AM

From my experience of going to the same place (Randolph, NJ State Inspection) for the past 9 years they always check the rider's lid for at least 3 square inches of reflective tape, meaning if you purchase the precut squares they are one inch squared, put one in the back and one on each side below the shield's hinge and you're golden, also be sure to have on a clear shield.

As for the pipe I ran a full Yosh system with a race baffle and they never gave it a second glance, if it's quiet enough at startup and idle you're fine.

ImmaSquashYou 04-13-2006 12:19 AM

cool, i'm guessing the exhaust i have isn't loud enough to fail (hopefully). I still have the stickers that my instructors gave me for the helmet from rider. I'll just slap those on and should be good. I also have a helmet which is a crap helmet and is a lil too big on me. I'll just use that so i don't have stickers on the helmet i reg. use...Thanks a bunch guys.