Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   liter bikes (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2819)

SilverDragon 06-02-2006 03:36 PM

liter bikes

When do you know that you're ready for one?

I know I'm not ready for one. Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one?

I'm in love with the R1. Not because of its power, but its freakish good looks.

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet?

Mach1 06-02-2006 03:45 PM

I just can't see a reason of going any higher than a 750? Even with that when will you the the total output of these bike??? Unless your on a track. And even with that 600 are sick wit it. A 600 I feel has exellent pwr and liight weight. But yeah I understand exactly what your talking about, The R1 is that sickest most freakish looking bike out there! But DAM SO IS THEIR 600! My next bike is gonna be the R6.

ronin_01r1 06-02-2006 04:00 PM

i got mine bc it's the bike i fell in love with it when i was first introduced to sportbikes. my friend had a chromed out 2001 R1 with all the trimmings, complete with flames that would shoot out the pipe. i was such a squid.. well, still am. hehe. but seriously, the bike's capabilities far outweigh my riding abilities and i think that helps in times when i make mistakes - like going into a turn to hot and the bike handles it w/ no problems...it just scares the crap out of me and the bike is probably like - is that all you got?!? but these days, as i become more interested in going to the track, a nice 600 would've been nice. the power difference from my previous bike was simply amazing. before, I had a 96 F3, regeared, full exhaust. The R1 accelerates faster in 3rd gear at 3-4k rpm than the 96F3 did in first gear full throttle! i think these days, liter bikes are just so damn fast that any bike will do for most riders.

High_Revs_17 06-02-2006 04:01 PM

When do you know that you're ready for one? For the street, never.

Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one? No

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet? Of course

600's have many advantages on the street; they're lighter, less fuel consumption, cheaper insurance rates, easier on rear tires & other components, more forgiving on power delivery to the rear tire, overall easier handling, aren't overkill for the street.

ronin_01r1 06-02-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1
I just can't see a reason of going any higher than a 750? Even with that when will you the the total output of these bike??? Unless your on a track. And even with that 600 are sick wit it. A 600 I feel has exellent pwr and liight weight. But yeah I understand exactly what your talking about, The R1 is that sickest most freakish looking bike out there! But DAM SO IS THEIR 600! My next bike is gonna be the R6.

The R6 is a sick trackbike! :drool:

jcblitz 06-02-2006 04:03 PM

A liter bike isn't "the next step". If you want a bike to ride the hell out of, 600's are great But if you want to go to bike nights and brag about going 225 on straight aways or feel the need to snicker at people with 600's, then yea, you're ready for a giXXXr or a R1.

JimRBlue 06-02-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
When do you know that you're ready for one? For the street, never. I have to disagree ron.....

Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one? No

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet? Of course

600's have many advantages on the street; they're lighter, less fuel consumption, cheaper insurance rates, easier on rear tires & other components, more forgiving on power delivery to the rear tire, overall easier handling, aren't overkill for the street.

Are we discriminating against the 2-up riders here??? When riding 2 up the extra CC's are very much welcome. I myself went through many transitions.

200 cc
400 cc
550 cc
750 cc

High_Revs_17 06-02-2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1
My next bike is gonna be the R6.

You'll probably end up changing out the sprockets on that to give it a bit more pull in the midrange to compensate for what you're used to on the Ninja.

opinion914 06-02-2006 04:10 PM

I think for the street, its more fun having the torque of a literbike, the 600's require shifting more often and running higher rpms. On the track its the opposite, give me a 600 anyday. The flickability and the fact that you can be a bit more aggressive w/ the throttle make for a less hair-raising day....for me anyway....

ronin_01r1 06-02-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcblitz
A liter bike isn't "the next step". If you want a bike to ride the hell out of, 600's are great But if you want to go to bike nights and brag about going 225 on straight aways or feel the need to snicker at people with 600's, then yea, you're ready for a giXXXr or a R1.

or the kawa zx 14.. go so fast, you can travel through time! :moocow:

Ant 06-02-2006 04:13 PM

Well, from someone who has actually ridden both on the street, on the track, and made lots of wheelies on both, the liter bikes are fun on the street, scary on the track. Really, they are more relaxed on the street then a 600 and they make MUCH better wheelies stock. I could bounce my Gixxer 1000 up at 100mph in 4th. They are a ton harder to ride though. If you're riding a lot of track, get a 600. If you are cruising on the street, can afford the insurance, and like wheelies, get the 1000. Just be careful.

soda7o 06-02-2006 04:14 PM

ita boaut how you rife... shit if i woudl think liek you than i aint ready for anythign more than a vespa.. i started on a 900duc.than got a 600 when all thepeopel were sayign start on 250.. i am on a 750 now just cause i got a recockulous deal on it.. i ride an r1 on occasion.. its all bout how much u twist the wrist.. ohyeah and if you can pay the insurance premium...

get what you want..

High_Revs_17 06-02-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRBlue
When riding 2 up the extra CC's are very much welcome.

Very true my friend, but your bike is also designed for that purpose. It's extra weight and detuned motor provide the perfect bike for that situation. I can't relate to that cuz I always disliked riding two-up, my bike never felt right during those times being it was only set up for me. :lol:

JimRBlue 06-02-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
Very true my friend, but your bike is also designed for that purpose. It's extra weight and detuned motor provide the perfect bike for that situation. I can't relate to that cuz I always disliked riding two-up, my bike never felt right during those times being it was only set up for me. :lol:

But when the 2nd person is gone... HEHEHE... the extra CC's are even more fun! LOL. I hear ya ron. The weight and the power is def. something you need to respect. The extra pounds can both hurt and help you. and you know Im dying to ride a lighter bike. After so many miles of tossing a heavy bike around its that much more effortless when you get on something lighter.

:boogie:

5wytchBh4kk 06-02-2006 04:39 PM

since sportbikes are engineered to race, not drive around the street, all the new 1k superbikes are victims of the numbers game between the big four manufacturers. they make insane power in the top end which you will never use on the street, and have nothing on the bottom. i'd say 03 was the last year that any 1k made any kind of torque on the low end, which is beneficial on the street for passing and acceleration. now they all have similar curves to 600s. just more power in the same rpm ranges. for the street i vote for a 1k twin, like an sv, tl or rc. you have the displacement, torque, acceleration, passing power, but not much up top to get out of hand. for the track, 600cc 4 cyl.