Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mods & How To's (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   chain maintenance 101 (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207)

sonny 07-07-2006 12:37 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong.. O Ring chains cant be 'lubed' since that shit is internal? Whats the point of lubing it?

gottaducati 07-07-2006 02:02 PM

my bad, but why cant i used WD40 to clean my chain again?

IrocRob 07-07-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonny
Forgive me if I'm wrong.. O Ring chains cant be 'lubed' since that shit is internal? Whats the point of lubing it?

You're not wrong, but the seals are not exactly perfect on
chains. You clean them to keep the crud from building up
and then being forced past the seals.

You should use something like Maxima Chain Lube to
soften the abuse that chains receive as they spin around
those hardened steel countershaft sprokets.

If you take a short ride with a dry chain, and then clean
and lube the chain properly, you will hear and feel the difference.

WD-40 is not recommended for cleaning chains because
the solvent may not be compatible with the seals within the chain.
But I've used it for years for cleaning chains and never had any trouble.

soda7o 07-07-2006 05:35 PM

wd 40 is th eshit i clean my entire biek with it .. chain included.. but honestly i clean my chain once a year.. ehh

skid vicious 07-07-2006 07:07 PM

i use kerosene and a nylon bristled toilet brush i bought from walmart. works like a charm.

Tonupboy 08-03-2006 09:45 PM

I used camping fuel (the clear stuff), old tooth brush, some rags, and Bel Ray chain wax...works for me...

causef0rconcern 08-04-2006 01:45 AM

The belray stuff flings like mad on my bike, but maybe that's because I just spray it on and I'm done...

This is good information since I didn't catch the last thread. I would go out and clean my nasty, thick, black-grime covered chain but I'm getting a new one shortly so fuggit.

Cakes206 08-04-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by causef0rconcern
The belray stuff flings like mad on my bike, but maybe that's because I just spray it on and I'm done...

Also, sometimes what ends up happeneing is that people will use way more than they need...just ask Jase :ohmygod:

JimRBlue 08-04-2006 09:18 AM

I thought one could never have too much lube.,,..

:whistle:

:take_it:

Rev 08-04-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock712
Chains are for morons!!!!!

bmw's use rubberbands...

Rev 08-04-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
Do not use WD-40, only chain cleaners/lubes should be used that won't effect/damange the O/X rings over time. A properly cleaned, lubed & tensioned chain can make a world of difference with performance on your bike ranging from smoother shifts & acceleration to increased fuel mileage & sprocket life.

http://www.montreal.anglican.org/kid...s/preacher.GIF

causef0rconcern 08-04-2006 01:23 PM

What kind of chain and sprocket should I buy for my bike? Fuggin thing sounds like a freght train between my legs when I'm moving.

Cakes206 08-04-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by causef0rconcern
What kind of chain and sprocket should I buy for my bike? Fuggin thing sounds like a freght train between my legs when I'm moving.

DIDERV3 chain w/Afam sprockets.

JasonB 08-04-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes
Also, sometimes what ends up happeneing is that people will use way more than they need...just ask Jase :ohmygod:

Yeah...dont use too much lube on the chain. It will fling like a mother, no matter what lube you use.

Jon FZ1 08-28-2006 12:59 PM

I'm one that doesn't buy into the "WD-40 kills o-rings" claim. The MSDS on WD-40 lists that it's primary ingredient is an aliphaltic distilate which basically means something very similiar to or maybe even Kerosene.

All I can say about that is that my last chain never saw a single drop of lube for it's whole life...18K miles and I changed it... all free links with all of the o-rings in place and looking good. Turns out the spec Yamaha provided for chain stretch was so conservative that even my new OEM chain exceeded the wear spec out of the box.