Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New toy (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7288)

BoRkA 11-05-2008 05:11 PM

New toy

As some of you know, i was out of the game this year. and now i picked up a new toy to play around with and maybe bring to englishtown and shenandoah.

2008 DRZ400SM. Its such a fun bike to play around with, yes its a little underpowered but still lots of fun!

http://images43.fotki.com/v1324/phot...MG_1572-vi.jpg

http://images40.fotki.com/v1370/phot...MG_1574-vi.jpg

Im thinking of picking up some dirt wheels as well and doing some off roading.

any supermoto riders or dirt riders here know where i can ride not too far away from NYC?

I really want to try some forest trails of dirt rides, any local riders here?

carl_g 11-05-2008 06:00 PM

yeah dude check out advrider.com and find the northeastern regional forum.
there are tons of people riding dirt from NYC..

JimRBlue 11-05-2008 08:34 PM

Congrats Boris.. Glad to see you got 2 wheels again! Enjoy

FigNewTon 11-05-2008 08:43 PM

Very nice...Good luck with it.

Where the pics at?

Respect_My_Authorita 11-05-2008 08:52 PM

congrats boris. now get a track bike and get back out there next season :D

BoRkA 11-07-2008 04:08 PM

Levi, Thanks man, i hope to do a few track days on this new toy, i heard they are lots of fun on the track. although on a small and tight track like Shenandoah etc...

WSprtuaL, thanks man, there are two pics in the first post, i will take some proper pics once i wash her and the weather is nice.

Jim, Thanks! its good to be back on two wheels! this bike is so much fun though!

ism409, i just signed up for advrider, lots of riders there!

njracer 11-07-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoRkA (Post 92195)

any supermoto riders or dirt riders here know where i can ride not too far away from NYC?

ESMRA runs races (with a DRZ class) at Raceway Park on the big road course, as well track days there, and NJ Motorsports Park.

We might have one more open track day at NJMSP before the winter shuts it down.

Check the www.esmra.com site as well as www.supermotojunkie.com (northeast racing section) for track day information.

Jon FZ1 12-02-2008 01:13 PM

Recently sold my DRZ. Lots of fun. You'll want to change some things for the dirt.

Gearing
Case protection
Bigger pegs
Rad guards

Have fun.

BoRkA 12-02-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon FZ1 (Post 92919)
Recently sold my DRZ. Lots of fun. You'll want to change some things for the dirt.

Gearing
Case protection
Bigger pegs
Rad guards

Have fun.

cool, i just picked up a set of excel dirt wheels for it.

next im looking to get some cycra hand guards.

and maybe a few other things over the winter.

im very tempted to take it up with me for new years to Vermont, i never ridden in the woods w/ 2 feet of snow :moocow:

Jon FZ1 12-02-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoRkA (Post 92927)
cool, i just picked up a set of excel dirt wheels for it.

next im looking to get some cycra hand guards.

and maybe a few other things over the winter.

im very tempted to take it up with me for new years to Vermont, i never ridden in the woods w/ 2 feet of snow :moocow:

Where do you go in VT? I head up to Burlington a few times each month for skiing. If you are near Burlington you might be able to head out on the ice with a set of these. http://www.kisarengas.fi/renkaat/kisa_ice2.JPG

Lake George for sure with less of a drive.

BoRkA 12-02-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon FZ1 (Post 92929)
Where do you go in VT? I head up to Burlington a few times each month for skiing. If you are near Burlington you might be able to head out on the ice with a set of these. http://www.kisarengas.fi/renkaat/kisa_ice2.JPG

Lake George for sure with less of a drive.

Im going to Killington for New years weekend, dec 31st to jan 4th.
We rented a house there with a bunch of friends.

but i dont really like snowboarding in killington. i went once and didnt really like the mountain.

Normally for a one day ride i go to Hunter mountain, and for a weekend i will go to Stowe, VT or Jay Peak VT. but of those are awsome mountains.

Jay Peak is my favorite so far as for some unknown reason they get SO MUCH SNOW! and snowboarding in powder is so much fun.

im still considering if its wise to take the bike with me, i will be towing it with a hitch mounted chock i just bought for my maxima. but im alittle weary of riding in snow, i never even been on a dirt road before.

im just getting into supermoto and dirt this coming up season. and im still trying to figure out where to ride not too far from NYC, like woods or dirt.

Jon FZ1 12-03-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoRkA (Post 92933)
Im going to Killington for New years weekend, dec 31st to jan 4th.
We rented a house there with a bunch of friends.

but i dont really like snowboarding in killington. i went once and didnt really like the mountain.

Normally for a one day ride i go to Hunter mountain, and for a weekend i will go to Stowe, VT or Jay Peak VT. but of those are awsome mountains.

Jay Peak is my favorite so far as for some unknown reason they get SO MUCH SNOW! and snowboarding in powder is so much fun.

im still considering if its wise to take the bike with me, i will be towing it with a hitch mounted chock i just bought for my maxima. but im alittle weary of riding in snow, i never even been on a dirt road before.

im just getting into supermoto and dirt this coming up season. and im still trying to figure out where to ride not too far from NYC, like woods or dirt.

Jay is nice, but the lines for that BS gondola kill it for me. Stowe is nice. Personally I love Sugarbush.

If you have never been in the dirt before you are in for a surprise. Hit up some local stuff before you bother towing 250 miles, potentially on snow and salt covered roads.

Riding in the snow is interesting, but it's kind of slow going and since you can't see whats below the snow, it can really present some issues especially to an inexperienced rider. You may not be really used to having a rear tire spin, especially in a turn, locking up the rear, wheels coming off of the ground or fucked up terrain.

In my opinion, the dynamics of off-road riding are far advanced compared to street riding. Get your dirt legs locally or with friends in case you get hurt and then plan some trips. Regardless...have fun!

tommymac 12-03-2008 10:12 AM

Good to see ya back borris, the dirtbike/dualsport stuff aint my thing but its still 2 wheels :)

Tom

BoRkA 12-03-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon FZ1 (Post 92940)
Jay is nice, but the lines for that BS gondola kill it for me. Stowe is nice. Personally I love Sugarbush.

If you have never been in the dirt before you are in for a surprise. Hit up some local stuff before you bother towing 250 miles, potentially on snow and salt covered roads.

Riding in the snow is interesting, but it's kind of slow going and since you can't see whats below the snow, it can really present some issues especially to an inexperienced rider. You may not be really used to having a rear tire spin, especially in a turn, locking up the rear, wheels coming off of the ground or fucked up terrain.

In my opinion, the dynamics of off-road riding are far advanced compared to street riding. Get your dirt legs locally or with friends in case you get hurt and then plan some trips. Regardless...have fun!

Yeah thats what i was thinking, i will probably wait out untill march/april and then try to do a few local spots, maybe meet up with some advriders.com members, since all my friends have sport bikes...

I really have no idea where to ride though, i heard there are a bunch on places in south jersey, but im still trying to find some more local stuff. :nopity:

any tips on places in our around nyc area?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 92942)
Good to see ya back borris, the dirtbike/dualsport stuff aint my thing but its still 2 wheels :)

Tom

Hey Tom, its good to be riding again, i might even attend a few shenandoah days on this bike next season as well. its a super moto so it can do street, track and with a wheel swap it will do dirt. kinda like a do it all bike for me.

Jon FZ1 12-03-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoRkA (Post 92945)
any tips on places in our around nyc area?

Flat tracking around the reservoir in Central Park is nice this time of year.