Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   VIR Grand Course (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5851)

SPRHK 09-26-2007 10:04 PM

VIR Grand Course

4.2 miles of my favorite asphalt. Oct 29th with Cornerspeed. Anyone else besides me, myself and I going?

IrocRob 09-27-2007 10:51 AM

Do they run North-Patriot-South-North or North-South-Patriot-North?

Just curious...It's so tempting...

SPRHK 09-27-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrocRob (Post 76277)
Do they run North-Patriot-South-North or North-South-Patriot-North?

Just curious...It's so tempting...

North turns 1-6a then onto the south course up the back through the esses, dog leg and oak tree. Down the south front stretch to south t1 down throgh the carosel cross over at the fishhook onto the the north course at the bottom of the hill and up to the top and down the rollercoaster back to the gront stretch. It is insane.

SPRHK 09-27-2007 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this might help

BoRkA 09-27-2007 11:57 PM

I'm really tempted to go, this would be a great way to finish the season!
Plus i didnt get a chance to visit VIR this season, and this way i'll ride all the courses they offer!

But i need to find some one to commute with or some one to come with me, to cut costs for gas/motel...

I have a spot on my 2 bike trailer if any one is interested.

BoRkA 10-02-2007 04:44 PM

Never mind, I called them and in order to participate in their track days I need to take their level 1 school at $490 :( or have taken another accredited riding school.
I have taken Team Promotion's level 1 but that doesnt count.

Cakes206 10-02-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoRkA (Post 76622)
Never mind, I called them and in order to participate in their track days I need to take their level 1 school at $490 :( or have taken another accredited riding school.
I have taken Team Promotion's level 1 but that doesnt count.

Thats just silly.

SPRHK 10-02-2007 10:10 PM

the only reason the riderschool is 490.00 is because a) its the grand course and b) you get your certificate to get your racing license.

Cakes206 10-02-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPRHK (Post 76647)
the only reason the riderschool is 490.00 is because a) its the grand course and b) you get your certificate to get your racing license.

So even if someone has prior track experience, wants to do the day but doesn't want their license....they still have to take the rider school?

SPRHK 10-02-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes982 (Post 76648)
So even if someone has prior track experience, wants to do the day but doesn't want their license....they still have to take the rider school?

Aaron's philosphy is that if you have had an "Accredited" track/racing school, Then you are much safer on the track vs. someone who has only done a couple of track days. He has no idea how many trackdays you have done with other clubs. If you took a school, then you should have a cert to prove it. If you have a current race license, you can ride with them as well. From my experience with cornerspeed, it is by far the safest club I ride with. He is super strict on safety.

wcrbikemike 10-03-2007 11:25 AM

TPM will be running this configuration several times next year.

Cakes206 10-03-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPRHK (Post 76649)
Aaron's philosphy is that if you have had an "Accredited" track/racing school, Then you are much safer on the track vs. someone who has only done a couple of track days. He has no idea how many trackdays you have done with other clubs. If you took a school, then you should have a cert to prove it. If you have a current race license, you can ride with them as well. From my experience with cornerspeed, it is by far the safest club I ride with. He is super strict on safety.

I see what you're saying...but just for an example, I never took any formal kind of "school" no certificate or anything...I also don't have a race license, BUT...with approx 60 track days under my belt, I can ride, pretty well, blue group with TPM and guest coaching for them when I can. Question is, I would still have to take their school? And not just me...there are a lot of people with lots of track time w/o an actual certificate from a school...I just used myself as an example.

JimRBlue 10-03-2007 12:01 PM

Then there are those of us who have less track time but would also still love to run that course. Seems like 490 bucks to run the grand course for many people would also be a touch out of their pockets. :-(

BoRkA 10-03-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakes982 (Post 76674)
I see what you're saying...but just for an example, I never took any formal kind of "school" no certificate or anything...I also don't have a race license, BUT...with approx 60 track days under my belt, I can ride, pretty well, blue group with TPM and guest coaching for them when I can. Question is, I would still have to take their school? And not just me...there are a lot of people with lots of track time w/o an actual certificate from a school...I just used myself as an example.

He actually used this example on the phone, he said that some people called him with over 25 track days experience but no formal training, and he would decline them. he said that any certificate from an accredited track day school like Keith code or his school is needed, or a race license. he is basing it on that his trackdays are "the safest" around.

I would take the school, but there is no point to take it at the end of the season because i'll forget everything by next season and wont be able to practice what i learned.

Cakes206 10-03-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoRkA (Post 76697)
He actually used this example on the phone, he said that some people called him with over 25 track days experience but no formal training, and he would decline them. he said that any certificate from an accredited track day school like Keith code or his school is needed, or a race license. he is basing it on that his trackdays are "the safest" around.

I would take the school, but there is no point to take it at the end of the season because i'll forget everything by next season and wont be able to practice what i learned.

Bah...sounds like they're working a money making angle(then again, maybe not.) I can see if you've never been on the track before then yes, you have to take some sort of formal training, not for seasoned riders though. Do they get the JD Power Award for having the "safest track days?" C'mon...give me a break...shit happens and can happen to anyone, I've seen days with 0 incidences and I've seen days with an over abundance of em...the track day org can only do so much...the rest is up to the riders to keep themselves in check...I dunno...just my :2cents:

Oh...I've also seen guys with their race license who shouldn't be driving a car, let alone on two wheels on the track.