Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   warranty question.. (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6573)

liquiddevil2000 04-14-2008 10:56 AM

warranty question..

can someone tell me what the warranty covers cuz like some know from the other site my bike died when i put in a new battery..i heard a loud bang and now nothing happens and i brought it to xtreme machines and they told me it aint electrical and now they wanna check inside the engine but i wanna know what the warranty covers cuz they keep asking me for more money and not giving me any answers!!!(p.s. its an '06 kawi 636 with 10995 miles on it for whoever dont know):nopity: :(

SPRHK 04-14-2008 02:03 PM

Get the bike back and change the plugs. You probably fouled the plugs while trying to start it with the old battery. When you put the new one in, all you got was a backfire. Change your plugs and go riding.

ffejtable 04-14-2008 02:37 PM

Its really hard to diagnose your problem, as the symptoms are vague.

As for asking for money, thats normal if they have to tear down the engine to determine the exact cause.

As for warranty, bike warranties are generally 1 yr/unlimited miles, so unless you got an extended warranty, you are no longer covered.

liquiddevil2000 04-14-2008 03:35 PM

bro if it were a backfire it would at least crank...it doesnt even do that!

JimRBlue 04-14-2008 08:34 PM

Mikey!

1. Start with the new battery.. Make sure that it is COMPLETELY charged. That can take quite a few hours depending on the charger. A battery tender WILL NOT completely charge it (unless you have a few weeks and then its a maybe) Never beleive that a new battery is "completely charged" If you don't charge it completely the first time you have just shortened the life of the battery. I say this because I know a lot of people that change batteries quite often. My FZ is an 2003 and still has the original battery and 20,000 + miles. It also is kept on a tender which also aids in extending the life of the battery.

2. Change the plugs as suggested earlier. All that cranking more than likely fouled them up.

3. What exactly was this "bang" you heard. Where did the sound come from? Are you sure it wasn't a fuse "popping"

4. Does the starter spin? Bike turn over?

5. Make sure the fuel rails are getting energized or carbs are getting fuel if bike is not fuel injected ( but I beleive yours is)

liquiddevil2000 04-15-2008 02:30 AM

um hate to repeat myself but there was never any cranking issue ..i didnt drown the plugs or put in cheap gas..i put in a new battery and somethng popped!!!
what i said was it ran 2 weeks ago and when the bike turned off i couldnt start it without a jump...i did that a couple of times and got tired of trying to turn it on so i bought a new battery!!!

the bike doesnt crank or anything and it just clicks...

what i wanna know is what the warranty covers...all the engine and tranny or some parts and does it cover electrical!!!!!

Cakes206 04-15-2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000 (Post 84682)

Possible that the battery doesn't have enough juice to pass through the starter relay.

liquiddevil2000 04-15-2008 10:02 AM

checked that..i even connected the bike to my car and also all the fuses...i'm wondering how do u check to see if the crank is broken..on a car u turn the flywheel with a ratchet and if it doesnt move usually a piston or the crank is shot..so how do u do it on a bike???? anyone???

Cakes206 04-15-2008 10:23 AM

Can try bypassing the starter relay by jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. Doesn't crank then ya got some other issues. There is a way to manually turn the motor, I personally haven't done this but have read it a few different times.

carl_g 04-15-2008 11:11 AM

Simply replacing your battery will not cause engine damage. There is no way it will cause the piston or crank to "break" It has to be electrical.

opinion914 04-15-2008 11:54 AM

try putting it into 5th or 6th and see if you can move the bike. having it in gear will rotate the engine. i doubt you have done any engine damage, perhaps th rectifier crapped the bed, or another electrical component. Start with the electrical components once you determine its' not the crank. even if the wheel doesn't spin it's probably vpor lock before its a broken crank. Cranks get pummled with explosions thousands of times a second while riding, a starter motor won't do that. Wheather or not it warranty you're probably better off checking the elec. components yourself. Just to avoid the hassle of bring it to the dealer and waiting for them to get to it.

JimRBlue 04-15-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000 (Post 84682)
um hate to repeat myself but there was never any cranking issue ..i didnt drown the plugs or put in cheap gas..i put in a new battery and somethng popped!!!
what i said was it ran 2 weeks ago and when the bike turned off i couldnt start it without a jump...i did that a couple of times and got tired of trying to turn it on so i bought a new battery!!!

what i wanna know is what the warranty covers...all the engine and tranny or some parts and does it cover electrical!!!!!

So we went from a "bang" to a "pop" That would point me in the direction that something was shorted. which was the popping sound you heard. Especially if it only "popped" one time. If the starter is only clicking when you press the starter button, more than likely you do not have enough juice in the battery. The clicking is most likely the solinoid switch moving back and forth.

See previous post and make sure the battery is fully charged. As I said before rarely are batteries fully charged when purchased... Who knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf. You cant expect to just buy one, go home, take the old one out and replace it with the new one and be done with it.

Brian78 04-15-2008 02:18 PM

if u dont have an extended warranty, nothing is covered....and xtreme sucks

John712 04-15-2008 02:36 PM

this is probably a stupid question, but are the battery terminals on right? pos to pos --- neg to neg.?

liquiddevil2000 04-15-2008 05:39 PM

lol yeah the terminals are!!
and i tested everything that was electrical before it hit the dealer!!!
today i found out through xtreme that i have an extended warranty i bought so im covered til next month and they tried a new battery and all the electrical parts..they are also the ones that told me that it has to be inside the motor so thats why i was asking about the warranty and stuff!!
i was actually thinking of just picking it up from them since theyre trying to run me on this one and complete my investigation on my own!