PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Off

Kennedy
09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Ok, so I have something for you. I have been looking at moto gp inside turn pics to look for body position.

Look at the twisting of the body (notice the inside hip and knee rotate fwd and outside one comes over more) it seems like there is a continuum. Sete does almost none. Nor does Barros. just a little: Nicky, Max. A bit more than little: Edwards and Rossi. All the way to a WHOLE bunch for Bayliss.

Check out some pics. Wonder what your thoughts are about this specific question...should this NOT be done? Is it detrimental? How? Not optimal?

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/97591Bayliss1.jpg

Bayliss seems to be doing this as his regular gig. Here is another pic too..there are lots

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/98251bayliss.jpg

And its not just Bayliss nor just Bayliss in unusual conditions...
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/ROSSIG_5816.jpg

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/f_eliasact.jpg

anyone noticing a pattern??

High_Revs_17
09-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Textbook brutha, spine's parallel to the bike. ;)

http://www.tristatesportbikes.com/vb3/photopost/data/521/medium/Boss.JPG

njf4i
09-28-2005, 07:20 AM
All you have to do is follow me around stewarts once and you'll know everything you need to know kennedy.

I'm the pro. Your the student. :evil2:

ffejtable
09-28-2005, 07:50 AM
All you have to do is follow me around stewarts once and you'll know everything you need to know kennedy.

I'm the pro. Your the student. :evil2:

I hope YOU'RE not teaching english. ;)

As for the hanging off thing... You aren't supposed to twist, which is what I do.. I can't seem to get my body to move the way its "supposed" to, but I think twisting off is better than not hanging off at all...

SilverDragon
09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
All I know is: I get excited just thinking about me eventually taking those turns!

carl_g
09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
They kind of look like me... :omg:

duc748pilot
09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
bro.....just ride the bike. it really is that simple. do not get into a fucking habit of always evaluating everything like i do. it has totally ruined this sport for me, made it more of a job than anything. just enjoy the ride, the only right way to ride....is the way that you do it. different strokes for different folks bro.

carl_g
09-28-2005, 11:15 AM
bro.....just ride the bike. it really is that simple. do not get into a fucking habit of always evaluating everything like i do. it has totally ruined this sport for me, made it more of a job than anything. just enjoy the ride, the only right way to ride....is the way that you do it. different strokes for different folks bro.

+1

and as far as strokes go... you only need 2 not 4. :twosmokes

duc748pilot
09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
+1

and as far as strokes go... you only need 2 not 4. :twosmokes

HAHAHAHA......that blue smoke is severly damaging your brain cells. ;)

Cakes206
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
HAHAHAHA......that blue smoke is severly damaging your brain cells. ;)

Can't be any worse than high school daze :lol:

carl_g
09-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Can't be any worse than high school daze :lol:
yep that did some damage for sure! :lol:

High_Revs_17
09-28-2005, 01:44 PM
do not get into a fucking habit of always evaluating everything like i do. it has totally ruined this sport for me, made it more of a job than anything. just enjoy the ride, the only right way to ride....is the way that you do it. different strokes for different folks bro.

You had your chance to enjoy the ride when you were on the street and in white group, but noooo you had to be fast, now you have to pay the price so shut up and decrease those lap times beach! ;)

duc748pilot
09-28-2005, 01:55 PM
You had your chance to enjoy the ride when you were on the street and in white group, but noooo you had to be fast, now you have to pay the price so shut up and decrease those lap times beach! ;)

i have to admit....I beleive if i had no competitiveness in me i would of been perfectly happy just doing trackdays and being slow. but thats not me. When i am racing i am having an absolute BLAST. i come in after the cool down lap and im still shaking. It is exhilerating. BUT...getting the motivation to actually go, has deminished. spending this kind of money at this point in my life where i should be saving some isnt a good thing. and it has become "work" in a sense. it isnt fun anymore.

Next season i wont be racing i dont beleive. I will be racing dirt. Should be buying my new qaud in the next few months. My brother has begged me to race for years, and i know i could be really fast. So im gonna do that next season and see which i enjoy more. It is a ton cheaper...and the group of guys are awesome. im sure i'll enjoy it.

But then again who knows....i may change those plans tomorrow. :yawn:

carl_g
09-28-2005, 01:59 PM

umm I dont get it. what does it matter what group you are ?

track days are not about lap times. Sure it is a good tool to measure progression but as far as track days go, the whole point is it is supposed to be fun....that's it..no more, no mas. If you did one you would understand. :nod2:

duc748pilot
09-28-2005, 02:00 PM
exactly.

High_Revs_17
09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
umm I dont get it. what does it matter what group you are ?

track days are not about lap times. Sure it is a good tool to measure progression but as far as track days go, the whole point is it is supposed to be fun....that's it..no more, no mas. If you did one you would understand. :nod2:

I hear ya, I wish I had the chance to experience it, I probably would've loved it.

It seems the white group is an easy going fun group and there's no real pressure to be fast, but as one bumps up the emphasis becomes more about proper technique and speed to keep the pace with the rest.

Aside from joking with Chris he mentioned to me info. about his lap times when we were at Pocono early this year and it seemed to me that this is a very important factor to some of the advanced riders who want to increase their ability cuz lower lap times are derived from that.

If I had the chance I'd probably never get out of white group due to the fun factor cuz I know if I was bumped up I'd push myself and I wouldn't enjoy the experience as Chris stated. Having a lap timer strapped to the bike might be one of the greatest forms of pressure added to the sport cuz then the focus shifts and if one's into that sort of thing then that's cool, if not they seem to lose interest.

duc748pilot
09-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Some riders could give a shit less about lap times. But i constantly try to improve mine. Funny thing being that it is when im having fun, just doing my thing, that my times go down. You have to be in the right mentality. what its all about. I have totally not lost interest it is just so hard for me to afford this type of a hobby right now. If i race next season, awesome...if i dont i'll get over it. and if i dont ever again....i can say i did it. and that for my age and for the experience i have, that i did fairly well overall. I know that if i had the money and the time to devote...i could be up front without a problem. but i guess that money is always half the battle

High_Revs_17
09-28-2005, 02:16 PM
i have to admit....I beleive if i had no competitiveness in me i would of been perfectly happy just doing trackdays and being slow. but thats not me. When i am racing i am having an absolute BLAST. i come in after the cool down lap and im still shaking. It is exhilerating. BUT...getting the motivation to actually go, has deminished. spending this kind of money at this point in my life where i should be saving some isnt a good thing. and it has become "work" in a sense. it isnt fun anymore.

Next season i wont be racing i dont beleive. I will be racing dirt. Should be buying my new qaud in the next few months. My brother has begged me to race for years, and i know i could be really fast. So im gonna do that next season and see which i enjoy more. It is a ton cheaper...and the group of guys are awesome. im sure i'll enjoy it.

But then again who knows....i may change those plans tomorrow. :yawn:

I know what ya mean regarding the loss of interest. But IMO racing's racing no matter what kind it is so you'll still have that feeling after the initial excitment of doing something new wears off. Dirt's a nice change of pace and who knows maybe you'll be a better rider for it if and when you decide to hit the track again. Everything in life takes work it just depends on how one's willing to handle the boring and draining parts of the process to enjoy the final outcome.

Mike295
09-28-2005, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=600rrpilot]bro.....just ride the bike. QUOTE]

might be the smartest thing you ever said :nod2:

duc748pilot
09-28-2005, 02:27 PM
I know what ya mean regarding the loss of interest. But IMO racing's racing no matter what kind it is so you'll still have that feeling after the initial excitment of doing something new wears off. Dirt's a nice change of pace and who knows maybe you'll be a better rider for it if and when you decide to hit the track again. Everything in life takes work it just depends on how one's willing to handle the boring and draining parts of the process to enjoy the final outcome.

racing is racing....but a 35 dollar entry fee for a 2 hour race vs 190 dollars for 3- 8 lap races.....is way more appealing. plus i dont need a 300 dollar set of tires every race. mods are cheaper, engines are simpler in a lot of aspects, maintenece. everything is cheaper. and for me, cheaper is good. lol.

and mike....stfu....lol

High_Revs_17
09-28-2005, 02:40 PM
racing is racing....but a 35 dollar entry fee for a 2 hour race vs 190 dollars for 3- 8 lap races.....is way more appealing. plus i dont need a 300 dollar set of tires every race. mods are cheaper, engines are simpler in a lot of aspects, maintenece. everything is cheaper. and for me, cheaper is good. lol.

Thinking about it now, screw dirt...you want cheap everything for track time here ya go! :nod2:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/HighRevs17/bike1.jpg

IrocRob
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Chris - I think that the "twisting" body position is a result
of being comfortable as possible on the bike, and not an
intentional act. If these riders were to try to "open up"
their position even more to be facing directly in line with
the bike, their legs would have to stretch even further
apart to acheive the same amount of "hang off".
A minor benefit would be a slight forward weight bias
which may aid front end grip. The only thing I can think
of that may be bad about this is that you would need to twist
your neck even further "into" the corner to see through the turn
compared to a "straight" body position.
Any other thoughts out there?

CBRBob
09-28-2005, 07:49 PM
It is an un-nautural way to ride the bike. It keeps ALL of your body facing the WRONG way into a turn. This forces you to twist unnecessarily to see and control the bike. People believe in their head that they are off the bike when in reality, less than half of what needs to be off the side actually is. Of course there are always slight variations in style to riding but overall, straight out is 'correct'.

Kennedy
09-28-2005, 10:08 PM
It is an un-nautural way to ride the bike. It keeps ALL of your body facing the WRONG way into a turn. This forces you to twist unnecessarily to see and control the bike. People believe in their head that they are off the bike when in reality, less than half of what needs to be off the side actually is. Of course there are always slight variations in style to riding but overall, straight out is 'correct'.

These GP guys gotta be doing something right
:lol:

But for now....I'll take your advice ;)