PDA

View Full Version : Battery issue

xstortion
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
A little back story.

I replaced my battery at the beginning of the season. I had no problems until recently. I rode my bike into work during lunchtime. I went back out approximately 3 hours or so and it wouldn't start at all. After a few seconds of starting the lights dimmed and went out. Understand that I didn't leave any lights on or anything and the thing was dead.

So my solution was to jump it and get it back to my house and charge up the battery. I charged it up for a few days and everything seemed fine. I rode it to work again everything looked good. When I went to ride it during lunch all the lights turn of and the bike began to stall out.

My question is, is this simply the battery or is there another problem?

Cakes206
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the charging system might be flaking out on ya. Check the regulator/rectifier too.

xstortion
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Sounds like the charging system might be flaking out on ya. Check the regulator/rectifier too.

Umm no clue what that even is. Sounds like I should bring it somewhere.

Cakes206
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Do you have a shop manual?

SPRHK
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
If it isnt charging, most likely the stator.If it is overcharging, it is most likely the regulator rectifier.
Take a volt meter and put it on the battery as the bike is running. IT should be charging between 13.8-15 volts, depending on the model.If it is charging in that range, then check the battery itself. If it is new, probably not the problem....unless you got it from walmart! The battery should read 12.2-12.8. If all check good then disconnect the battery and check the voltage. Write it down. Hook up the battery and check it again, with key off. If you have a voltage drop, them you have a short or draw someplace in the electrical system

High_Revs_17
11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Before getting into a bike diagnosis, did you ever fully charge the battery before using it? Some batteries don't come fully charged out of the box, and if thats the case, and you try using it, the bikes charging system will never fully charge the battery.

xstortion
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Before getting into a bike diagnosis, did you ever fully charge the battery before using it? Some batteries don't come fully charged out of the box, and if thats the case, and you try using it, the bikes charging system will never fully charge the battery.

Yup it was fully charged at the shop before I picked it up.

I since then charged it for several days on the tender with the same results.

Anyway I had to end up getting it towed because I couldn't get it to run at all. I forgot what the part was called but it had something to do with the chargin of the battery. So they ordered the part, so hopefully this will be resolved.

Thanks for the input.

Cakes206
11-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Stator?