PDA

View Full Version : Aug 23rd - Riding in Lebanon State Forest

ffejtable
08-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Renting a DRZ for the day and going for a ride in Lebanon State Forest, not Brendan Byrne State Forest. Going with a friend who also has a street legal DRZ... Anybody else interested in joining?

Brian78
08-18-2009, 04:40 PM
does it have to be street legal?

ffejtable
08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
From what I understand.. Yes... But there will be somebody who wont be from what I understand... I have a bad feeling about this whole thing but my friend said its legal if your bike is street legal, and he was there 3 weeks ago or so...

ronin_01r1
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Motorcycles.htm

Use of motorcycles in state parks

ATV's and off-road (unregistered) motorcycles are prohibited in all New Jersey state parks and forests. There are no exceptions.

There are some parts of Lebanon, Bass River, and Brendan T. Byrne State Forest in South Jersey where you may be able to operate a motorcycle.

ffejtable
08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Motorcycles.htm

Use of motorcycles in state parks

ATV's and off-road (unregistered) motorcycles are prohibited in all New Jersey state parks and forests. There are no exceptions.

There are some parts of Lebanon, Bass River, and Brendan T. Byrne State Forest in South Jersey where you may be able to operate a motorcycle.

Aah cool.. you missed the most important part: Call the Division of Parks and Forestry at (800) 843-6420 in advance for more information.

:)

Honestly I've NEVER ridden on the dirt, except some offroading at Pocono East! I have been on the street with my buddies DRZ tho. Even if I have to stay on unpaved dirt roads, ill have a blast.

carl_g
08-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Sunday My club rides there every Sunday. Your bike needs to have a plate, registered and be insured. You must have a motorcycle endorsement on your license. The speed limit on the roads (even the dirt ones) is 35 mph. Just don't ride like a jerk and you should be fine. Stop for the rangers if you see them and treat them with respect.. they will reciprocate.

If you don't have your paperwork in order down there and you get caught, You are fucked.

pm me if you want more info.

Jon FZ1
08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Sunday My club rides there every Sunday. Your bike needs to have a plate, registered and be insured. You must have a motorcycle endorsement on your license. The speed limit on the roads (even the dirt ones) is 35 mph. Just don't ride like a jerk and you should be fine. Stop for the rangers if you see them and treat them with respect.. they will reciprocate.

If you don't have your paperwork in order down there and you get caught, You are fucked.

Exactly. The DRZ you are going to rent probably has either street tire or dual purpose tires which are going to suck balls in the spots with loose sand. :moocow:

I don't know if the company you are renting from offers a decent insurance plan for damage, but if this is your first ride in the dirt and you are riding with more experienced riders, you are most likely going to have a get off or two during the day if you are doing anything right.;)

Stay out of the trees and watch the deer. Oh yeah...have FUN!

ffejtable
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Cool... I am renting from http://www.cyclerentalnj.com ...

They should have the registration taken care of, working on the insurance right now, and have my endorsement. :)

Jon... I would expect a dual purpose tire on the bike, I will be a bit upset if they are a street tire... I won't be pushing it very hard... If I try to do anything stupid and or crazy maybe I will do it on my friends bike instead. :)

ffejtable
08-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Look ma' no broken bones!

JasonB
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Nice Jeff. Looks like you had a good time.

carl_g
08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Look ma' no broken bones!

Hey cool man! Did you have a good time?

ffejtable
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Was a lot of fun... Riding dirt is pretty scary.. hard to get used to the fact that the bike is going to wobble and slide like crazy, and its not going to toss you into the air... Front tire wasnt very good in the soft sand, but nothing broken, on me or the bike... Definitely something I would do again!

Completely legal if you have a dual-sport too! (registration/insurance/license)