PDA

View Full Version : Improvements Made To NJMP

Cakes206
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Updated: NJ Motorsports Park Making Safety Enhancements Based On Feedback From AMA Pro Riders

Aug 14, 2009, ©Copyright 2009, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

From a press release issued by New Jersey Motorsports Park:

Millville, N.J. (August 14, 2009) - New Jersey Motorsports Park today announced improvements to the 2.25-mile Thunderbolt raceway designed to increase the track's safety features for both professional races and track rentals at the South Jersey facility.

The changes focus on two of the fastest corners of the circuit, Turns 1 and 12. A 5,000 square foot gravel trap is being added to the end of the paved runoff area extending from the right-handed Turn 1. In the track's final turn, plans include moving the barrier to increase the runoff area an additional 30 to 50 feet.

The improvements were put in motion following a productive meeting with AMA Pro Racing riders and officials in late July.

"Since this facility opened a year ago, we've consistently met with participants and sanctioning body representatives to gather input," said Kevin Wittman, General Manager of New Jersey Motorsports Park. "Our meeting in July led to some suggestions that we felt we could implement before our September events, including the AMA Superbike Championships. These adjustments should benefit all of the motorcycles and cars that use Thunderbolt Raceway, not just professional racers."

The gravel trap will include 300 tons of 3/8-inch round pea gravel acquired from locally-based Ricci Brothers Sand Company and delivered by Foundry Services Corporation.

"We continue to be impressed with the great lengths our promoter partners go to in preparation for AMA Pro Road Racing events," said AMA Pro President Roger Edmondson. "As one of the newest permanent road courses in the United States, New Jersey Motorsport Park already features a top-rate racing circuit with an up-to-date safety system. The pending changes will only make it better for premier motorcycle road racing and we appreciate how closely our partners in New Jersey are working with our competitors and AMA Pro in implementing these enhancements. We are looking forward to a great race on Labor Day weekend."

The project will be completed in time for September, which is the facilities busiest month for spectator events. The September calendar includes the AMA Superbike Championships, September 4-6; the ARCA RE/MAX Series, September 11-13; and the Ferrari Challenge, September 18-20.

The AMA Superbike Championship weekend includes the National Guard American Superbike and Daytona SportBike season finales and the AMA Pro SuperSport and SunTrust Moto-GT classes.

For more information on tickets, including the all-inclusive Superbike Club and Sportbike Club ticket packages for the AMA Superbike Championships, visit www.njmp.com or call New Jersey Motorsports Park at (856) 327-7217.

Children 12 and under are admitted free to all events at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Sitting on over 500 acres in Millville, N.J., New Jersey Motorsports Park is conveniently located to Philadelphia, the Jersey Shore, New York and Baltimore, and offers diverse and dynamic motorsports attractions. The facility includes two world-class road courses (Thunderbolt and Lightning), an exclusive motorsports country club known as the Drivers Club, the Breighton Room Restaurant open to the general public, and F1 New Jersey, one of the top karting facilities in America. Opened in July 2008, New Jersey Motorsports Park hosts eight major motorsports events in 2009. The 2009 spectator schedule opened with the Verizon Wireless 250 presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 in May, and also includes the Formula X weekend featuring the Atlantic Championship powered by Mazda and a host of Mazda-powered race series, as well as All Revved Up; the debut of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) Pro Road Race Series, including the American Superbike class and the new Daytona Sportbike program; the return of the ARCA/ReMax Series as the only road course visit on the series schedule; a Ferrari Challenge event and the excitement of two separate Vintage race weekends.

For more information on New Jersey Motorsports Park, F1 New Jersey, Breighton Room, or to purchase tickets, visit www.njmp.com or call 856-327-7217. Children 12 and under are admitted free to every event at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

More, from a press release issued by AMA Pro Racing:

Josh Hayes (No. 4 Yamaha Motor Corp. USA Yamaha R1)

“We were fortunate with Topeka and now here we are with New Jersey being really proactive on rider safety. They are addressing some issues that we had at a test just a month ago. I think it’s fantastic that people are taking us more seriously as far as the riders’ comments and making us feel safe. It can only improve racing and improve the show for everybody. I am excited about it.

“It is going to be a great first event for them and for us too. The track is a little tight so it’s going to be interesting when we get everybody there to see how many new passing zones we find. At the test most of us rode around a little bit by ourselves. Everybody is going to have to be pretty creative and it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Larry Pegram (No. 72 Foremost Insurance/Pegram Racing Ducati 1098R)

“I think it’s encouraging and they were definitely responsive to our comments when we were there. Seeing that they are definitely taking action to change the track shows that they are going to work with us, just like the promoter in Kansas. It seems like it is going to be a good track to race on. It has got some passing areas so I think it will be a really close event. We will have to wait and see what happens.”

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=37714

breeze
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
nice.. for rider saftey, but dont go off now even more than ever .. those gravel traps tear up a bike, but save lives.....

Ant
08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Ur gonna get in trouble from Ulrich.

sonny
08-14-2009, 07:57 PM
thumbs up.

Drew13
08-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I dont feel like reading all of that. Sounds good though...can you give us a summed up version?

John712
08-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Im here now, and you can tell theres a whole bunch of shit going on, i'll try and take pictures tomorrow of T1

FDNYDANO18
09-03-2009, 01:03 PM
2 thumbs up to NJMP for being proactive. Personally I dont care if the bike gets torn up in a highspeed getoff...as long as the rider can walk away.

MarioB
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
2 thumbs up to NJMP for being proactive. Personally I dont care if the bike gets torn up in a highspeed getoff...as long as the rider can walk away.

+1

DIMford
09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
That sounds good. I think I am going to try that NJMP out next month.