PDA

View Full Version : How much body hang is enough or too much

High_Revs_17
09-19-2005, 08:58 PM
I can recall at times entering turns on the street at speeds anywhere in the range of 50-90mph where the degree looked sharp enough to use more body hang than bike lean. But when that happened the bike wasn't leaned over enough and in standing more upright it wanted to shoot wide, so I'd quickly correct mid turn using less body hang and more bike lean and the bike would feel great thru the apex and exit.

I don't know if this is just because of my style of bike not being a true sportbike or if that's just the characteristics regarding the physics of taking a turn. For that reason upon entering a turn I'd always use bodyhang in case it quickly turned into a decreasing radius but if that wasn't the case I'd make adjustments to compensate for the degree of the turn.

Is this normal behavior for everyone, or is there an exact science to this situation?

Yeah-yeah I know, should'a-would'a-could'a done a track day. :)

RCM78
09-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Sounds like you need to intiate the turn faster.

The faster you can flick the bike into the turn(by using countersteering) The faster you should be able to take the turn with less lean angle at a given body position.

The theory is you spend less time(and space) actually leaning the bike and more time turning...

CBRBob
09-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Why are you hanging off on the street? Sounds squidly. Move around on the bike but not lots of hang. If you do move around, don't be afraid to lean. If your riding that fast, see us at the track!

Brian78
09-19-2005, 11:23 PM
too much body hang is when ur draggin knee, elbow, shoulder and ass all at the same time :LOL:

Kennedy
09-20-2005, 08:13 AM
too much body hang is when ur draggin knee, elbow, shoulder and ass all at the same time :LOL:

I guess I hang way to much LOL :LOL: :LOL:

Or in the last session of the day...not enough, doh.

Kennedy
09-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Why are you hanging off on the street? Sounds squidly. Move around on the bike but not lots of hang. If you do move around, don't be afraid to lean. If your riding that fast, see us at the track!

I see you draggin elbows pulling out of stewarts ya squid ;)

Kennedy
09-20-2005, 08:33 AM
I wish I could find the picture of Haga he looks like a god damn spider hanging on to the bike....its in one of my books maybe I can find it later.

Cakes206
09-20-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm never haging off on the street...I use the ass crack method(where you're sitting on either edge of the seat) at the very most...even during tripple digits up High Point...take a look at the body position pic posted in the track forum...that should give you somewhat an idea.