PDA

View Full Version : Breaks squeaking.

xstortion
06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
My rear breaks are squeaking uncontrollably. I took it to Action Yamaha at the end of the year and they replaced the pads and rotors.

Now at any speed my breaks are squeaking and it is really annoying. IS there anything I can do? Should I bring it somewhere else?

:nopity:

SPRHK
06-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Squeaking brakes is usually caused by glaze buildup on the pads. Does it squeak all the time, just when you use them? The glaze is easily removed with fine sand paper. IF you are not using the rear brake and they are squealing, it could be due to your pistons not retracting all the way and keeping friction on the pads /rotor. It is easily fixed by disassembly / cleaning / reassembly of your caliper. Without knowing how and if you use the rear brake , it is just speculation.

xstortion
06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
It only happens during breaking...it used to be at low speeds but now it happens all the time

SPRHK
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Pop your pads out, and scuff them just enough to get the shiny stuff off and reinstall. Your pads are probably glazed. This will fix the problem until they glaze over again. What pads did they repace the others with?

xstortion
06-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Pop that pads off? I don't consider myself a real DIY type of guy. The extent of my work has been to do and oil change.

I made them replace the pads with OEM pads because I felt that the aftermarket pads were the root of the problem.

SPRHK
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
What model yamaha? R-6? It really is super easy. Dont sell yourself short. If you can do an oil change, you can do this.

xstortion
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Nope Gix 750

SPRHK
06-17-2009, 03:43 PM
just as easy. Your talking 15 minutes start to finish with a cup of coffee in your hand and a cig.

breeze
06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
dude pads anyone can do.... take you this super easy

landshark
06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
easier than taking them off is just spread them with a screw driver and slip some sand paper under them and scuff away. Make sure the paper is folded so you do both the rotor and pad at the same time.

xstortion
06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
but wouldn't have these things been done when they installed them?

SPRHK
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
but wouldn't have these things been done when they installed them?

The brakes get glazed from use. Every time you apply the brakes, they get hot, and that heat builds up a glaze on the pads. Some pads more so than others. My VTR1000 has 35K on it and never had the brakes squeak. I use EBC HH pads. Then again, I nevr use the rear brake except to hold the bike still at a light if I need to let go with my hands......

xstortion
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
The brakes get glazed from use. Every time you apply the brakes, they get hot, and that heat builds up a glaze on the pads. Some pads more so than others. My VTR1000 has 35K on it and never had the brakes squeak. I use EBC HH pads. Then again, I nevr use the rear brake except to hold the bike still at a light if I need to let go with my hands......

Really about never using the rear break. I guess I was just taught to break with both breaks when I first started riding. Come to think of it though when my rear breaks went out I had no problems with using the front alone. Hmm

SPRHK
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Rule of thumb.....Rear brakes are for agricultural experiences and no hands at stop lights.