PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report -- TPM Pocono East (9/15)

Vin
09-17-2005, 12:07 AM
I wanted to write this up earlier, but I still haven't received the two hi-res shots I ordered. I had planned on posting them with this write-up. Oh well, here it goes:

Ok, where do I begin?

After worrying about the weather leading up to my 9/15 ART BASIC class with TPM, and dealing with torrential and blinding downpours on the way up to the track with Jimmy (jimmy) and Ray (razor222), the weather turned out to be absolutely perfect. There were very few riders present at the rider's meeting -- maybe 30 or 40? (Guys correct me if I'm wrong.) My BASIC class had 7 students, including myself. A very small group allowed us to run our own sessions. I met John (not on this site -- from CF) and Carl (ism409) for the first time, as well as met up with Ant (Ant) again. Good group of guys!

After doing a warm-up lap with Bill Sink and the other coach in BASIC (his name eludes me, I feel badly about it. He rode an R6...), we were brought back into the classroom to discuss lines and other various topics. On our second session out there, the pace was hopped up a bit, and I started pushing the envelope a little more -- riding above what I have on the street.

I found I was getting a little too sloppy and a little too greedy with the throttle by the third and fourth sessions. At one point I took the bus stop a little too hot and botched the apex, catching myself almost on the grass on the left side during exit. Another time, I was told by a coach that I was in first gear too much, which caused my rear to break loose after coming out of an exit. This was a bit of a downer and frustration started to set in. I'm sure the guys saw it on my face.

After the coach told me to stick to second gear, the going got a lot better. I had a pretty good fourth session, nailing what I thought was almost every apex and entrance. I started getting more and more confident in each turn, turning the heat on with every lap. I got a bit too hot and wide on the double apex and found myself offroading for about a second. Smooth move, but at least I was able to laugh and learn from it, and apply it on the following lap. On the next lap, I made my move -- turned after the entrance cone, hovered over the grass on the corner, arc'ed out into the turn and hovered again over the exit corner. BAM. Nailed that one. The coach said that when you hit a line, you'll know it. That was it, and it felt GOOD.

Each subsequent lesson continued to be a learning experience. There were times when I would think I was doing well until a coach buzzed past and got in front of me to show me something, whether it be the line or the fact he/she wanted me to turn in late. During what was maybe the 7th or 8th session, I had a coach (Mike) run up in front of me a few laps in. He turned around, pointed at me and gave me a thumbs-up. NICE. :)

The last three sessions of the day, I was able to run with the white group. TPM had previously given BASIC it's own sessions. This was certainly an eye-opening experience. I was getting passed left and right, particularly on the back straight because I wasn't carrying enough speed coming out of the turn. As the laps progressed, I started to concentrate on speed while keeping and minding my lines and body position.

It finally paid off after I made a few passes, avoided someone clipping the hay bales, and finally, on my very last lap, had a coach pull me aside.

He asked if it were my first track day, noting the blue X on my Icon helmet. Said yes, and he said "Put her there (handshake), that's some really good riding you're doing. I need to tell Sink that he's doing a great job with the new guys." I believe the coaches name was Keith, and noted that I appeared to be in complete control of my bike at all times, and my turns, body position, and speed was good. This really made my day -- quite possibly my year. I'm a doubter, and to hear something like that come from someone who teaches people on their own dime at a track is amazing and humbling at the same time. I still smile when I think about that conversation.

After pulling into pit with quite possibly the stupidest grin on my face ever, I decided to call it a day for myself and shut it down. I didn't want to push my luck after that conversation.

What I learned:
1) First gear on a bike that makes 70+lbs of torque is not a good gear for riding around the track at speed.
2) I can *almost* got WOT coming out of T4, but I didn't do it. This is what's causing me to lose some time.
3) I am gun-shy on the back straight. I'm still trying to get used to going balls-out.
4) I can't every recall target fixating on the street, but I can remember three instances where it almost bit me on 9/15.
5) I "need" new brake pads. Like Jimmy. And Tommy. And probably several others who went through tech. :laughing
6) Pocono has it's own weather.
7) Rented back protectors stink like... god, they just stink. :(
8) Relax and have fun with it. Too tense or being self-critical (like I am) can ruin a day.

Thanks for reading this. Hope it made sense.

http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/sept15/ARTBASIC/images/5C7B2893.jpg
http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/sept15/ARTBASIC/images/5C7B3990.jpg
http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/sept15/ARTBASIC/images/5C7B4052.jpg
http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/sept15/ARTBASIC/images/5C7B4055.jpg
http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/sept15/ARTBASIC/images/5C7B4106.jpg

Ant
09-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Nice write up Vincenzo. Your pics look great! Don't worry about all the things you did "wrong" or would like to do differently. It will come with time and practice. I think you will like Summit a little more as it flows better and will allow you to WOT with less scariness. Good Job on your first day! :)

Cakes206
09-17-2005, 08:54 AM
6) Pocono has it's own weather.

Ain't that the truth :jerkit:

8) Relax and have fun with it. Too tense or being self-critical (like I am) can ruin a day.

Someone else I know is just the same ;)

But excellent write up Vin...I'm glad you had a great time...the whole TPM organization is great...can't wait for 10/17! :banmac:

DougZ
09-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Cool beans.

Vin
09-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Got my hi-res!

I got the "Angry Eyes" like someone at the track said. :lol:

Islandmon
09-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Nice Job there Vin...Thanks for the report...I can't wait to try out a track day myself in a couple years.

Congrats on the riding skills out there ;)

CBRBob
09-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Glad you had a good time, it was goot to meet you!

Vin
09-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Glad you had a good time, it was goot to meet you!

Same here, Bob! :nod2:

soda7o
09-19-2005, 11:19 AM
cool beans vin.. youlook good in the pics.. one day ill make it out there to the track too..

but cool write up thanks

Vin
09-19-2005, 01:05 PM
cool beans vin.. youlook good in the pics.. one day ill make it out there to the track too..

but cool write up thanks

Thanks Kon.