PDA

View Full Version : Question for the more expienced and older

Kennedy
09-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Well heres my question for all of you who have been through or are going through College right now.....first some Background information....

I am currently a full time student at Raritan Valley Community College. I am taking 4 classes or 13 credits......World Civ 101 English 101, Some gay math, and Intro to Psychology......This first week has been pretty good enough work to keep me busy but not enough to keep me from panicing.....Now my question ...... Who thinks it is a good Idea to have a part time job while being a full time student in school.... I know if I do this I will be working tuesday thursdays and fridays....thats alot of time that counld be used for studying and other things like wriitng papers and homework which I get a ton off, mostly tons of reading.

For all those who have been through college what would you suggest to someone in my position, I have quite a bit saved up, almost 2k but I dont think thats enough but I do not want to sacrifice my education either. I know when winter rolls around I will be bored as hell and not be able to ride so if I don't have a job Ill be getting kicked in the ass....what do you guys think?

UPDATE***** 9/21- I hate my life. Thank you.

MPtotheFZ
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily! :lol:

Vin
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I think it's a good idea, Kennedy. Even if it's not going to help with school bills and stuff, it's important to have cash in your pocket.

You will find time to study -- from what I've read about you and your general disposition, you've got a great attitude and mindset. If you can't juggle the two, do not sacrifice school for work. When you're done with school, work can and will be found.

I didn't finish college, although I wish I did. Then again, I was a dad at 20. Finishing your schooling should be one of your top priorities right now. :)

Kennedy
09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
I definatly agree with your points Vinny I would love to have the money to be able to freely spend it , which I definatly do not do...Im a stingie bastard lol....but it does help to know that I do have money saved up for a rainy day like...track day, crash...another track day + crash lol ........

Figure I will only be going to Community college for two years or so, so I may as well work and save up for when I move out and take a step up to living on my own

But like you said I think that my future is really in my own hands now...they said that in highschool but CC is a second chance and I dont want to miss this up

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I think you should spend your time banging as many chicks as humanly possible!

Vin
09-12-2005, 07:35 PM
I think you should spend your time banging as many chicks as humanly possible!

I agree with this. But as the father of a daughter, I would murder you if I were one of those girl's dads. Just letting you know.

Kennedy
09-12-2005, 07:40 PM
LMAO......I will try and bang as many chicks as I can while not pissing off those girls fathers

DougZ
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
As some one who worked all through college, I would do it if you can juggle school work and job, with out letting one affect the other. I personally needed to work to pay for my own stuff, like car, insurance, and college fees themselves.

If working becomes a problem for you to maintain the kind of GPA you want to have, then maybe don't work. If nothing else, it will give you good life experience. Working for someone or a company will give you an idea into what the "real world" is really like, for when you get your degree..an edge you will have over you fellow students who didn't work through school.

Plus, if you listen to Omar, its takes money to bang chicks...alcohol aint free ;)

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
dude, if your smooth you can get the chicks to pay for stuff for you!

Kennedy
09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
As some one who worked all through college, I would do it if you can juggle school work and job, with out letting one affect the other. I personally needed to work to pay for my own stuff, like car, insurance, and college fees themselves.

If working becomes a problem for you to maintain the kind of GPA you want to have, then maybe don't work. If nothing else, it will give you good life experience. Working for someone or a company will give you an idea into what the "real world" is really like, for when you get your degree..an edge you will have over you fellow students who didn't work through school.

Plus, if you listen to Omar, its takes money to bang chicks...alcohol aint free ;)

Well like you guys suggested I am going to try it out.....this has been an ongoing job since march and I have obtained many responisbilities....I work for 5Swytchback's father as an apprentice to custom and architectual millworking....He has taught me the basics to running your own business....I would take care of all the transactions and orders and shipments and I even got time to work in the shop during the actual making of the mill work....believe me I have had my share of work over this summer...the last couple of weeks before school were 60+ hours a week....those were some nice pay checks....

Considering I have had this expierence I have already considered myself to have an edge over most students who I am going to school with. Most kids I know have only had a part time job as a pizza delivery guy or a waiteress.... I have worked 6 am till 5 go home eat and then come back to work till 11 at night....I know what it takes to work in a business and with that I plan on using it to my advantage when the time comes for me to leave school for good and get a permanent job.

Unlike most kids my age I pay for all of my expenses....my bike, fixing my bike, track days, insurance registration, gas, clothes, I am pretty much very independent from my parents. If I needed money they would be more than happy to give it to me, but they told me if I wanted to something I needed to earn it and thats exactly what I'm doing.

PS....they were kind enough to pay for my community college :jerkit: :lol:

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
but on a serious note, see if they have any type of co-op or internships available through your school for your line of study. In the long run that would probably prove to be most beneficial, even if pay is less now.

DougZ
09-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Well like you guys suggested I am going to try it out.....this has been an ongoing job since march and I have obtained many responisbilities....I work for 5Swytchback's father as an apprentice to custom and architectual millworking....He has taught me the basics to running your own business....I would take care of all the transactions and orders and shipments and I even got time to work in the shop during the actual making of the mill work....believe me I have had my share of work over this summer...the last couple of weeks before school were 60+ hours a week....those were some nice pay checks....

Considering I have had this expierence I have already considered myself to have an edge over most students who I am going to school with. Most kids I know have only had a part time job as a pizza delivery guy or a waiteress.... I have worked 6 am till 5 go home eat and then come back to work till 11 at night....I know what it takes to work in a business and with that I plan on using it to my advantage when the time comes for me to leave school for good and get a permanent job.

Unlike most kids my age I pay for all of my expenses....my bike, fixing my bike, track days, insurance registration, gas, clothes, I am pretty much very independent from my parents. If I needed money they would be more than happy to give it to me, but they told me if I wanted to something I needed to earn it and thats exactly what I'm doing.

PS....they were kind enough to pay for my community college :jerkit: :lol:

Like the others said, sound slike you have your head on straight, and I think you'll do fine. Good luck and do well.

And remember, when a chick says no, it means no..but if she says do her harder, it means pull her hair and give her rug burn on her tata's. :)...while doing her harder.

jcblitz
09-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I worked part time while in college, except for freshman year because I couldn't have a car there. Soph = The Gap at the mall, Jr = Walmart, Sr = The arcade at the mall. As long as your job understand's you're a student and offers very flexable hours and won't treat you like a dog, you'll be fine. I quit walmart because they would have me working 30 hrs a week when I only requested 15 - 20 and was taking 18 credits. It was also a good way to keep out of trouble, idle hands are the tool of the devil.

Kennedy
09-12-2005, 08:29 PM
It'll do more then keep my hands idle...I'll be like your sig....fuck lol

Taz
09-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Like everyone else said. I would go to school and work part time. Just make sure you get a job understand that school comes first. For the two years I was in college I worked three days a week at a pharmacy. It gives you a head start when your ready to work full time. Good luck with school.

SilverDragon
09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Just a quick addition... Though it may not even be necessary. You seem so serious about saving money for a rainy day. It's good to have that money, and since your time will be occupied with school work, and actual paying work... I recommend your saved money should be spent on a well deserved and planned out SPRING BREAK!

All work and no play turns Kennedy into an angry old man!

Then again, you have bike, so I gather you get some release from "all work"!

Vin
09-12-2005, 10:49 PM
All work and no play turns Kennedy into an angry old man!

Like Vinny.

soda7o
09-13-2005, 11:47 AM
speaking from personal experience....

as dumb as i look and as stupid as i act i was actually a smart kid...(sorta)

anyway i got excepted to many colleges but i knew i wanted to stay in the city cause that is the job market for my industry. i ended up going to PAce University because they gave me the biggest schollarship (unlike NYU and many other nice schools - fucking cheap ass mother fuckers)

thruough out my colleg carrer i did not take less than 18 credits a semester.
my fresh year i worked 3 jobs (waldbaums produce, valet parking on the weeknds, and law office for my cuz on sunday mornings) - this was needed to pay for my biils and the rest of the collge that the schollar ship didnt cover.

2nd year of college i did TD water house complience while workign valet on the weekdn and takeing 18 credits. eahc semester.

3rd i did water house full itme while taking 18 credits the first half and than i got a job at DLJ which is now CSFB working full time in my indusrty (computer geek)
senior year i took 21 credits each semester and had to take class in NYC campus as well as weschester campus and worked full itme for CSFB.
workign and going to schol suked big time but had to do it... but dont get me wrong i also partied liek a champ and had lost of female friends and i made sure to fuck liek a jack rabbit. it was har and i ost lots of sleep but it taught me responsibility and time management. tiem maangemtn = who the fuck needs sleep... :lol:
and trust me it all paid off.. having a job especialy in your industry will look 10X bettr on your resume and will aid you in getting you first real job. hey it helped me out bigtime after 9/11 and all of my freinds that were not workign and had emty resumens well i had to drag them in right behind me...

in conclusing get a fucking JOB... !

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Yoru drunkx all the teim

soda7o
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
dont be jealus beach

Kawibabe
09-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Get the PT job, you can do it and easily take the amount of classes you're in. I work full-time and only take 6 credit hours at a time currently. That's because my job/money to live is my priority though. I'm just finishing up my 4-year degree.

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Today was first day of classes then work...im exhausted

benellis
09-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Today was first day of classes then work...im exhausted

Hang in there. For 2 and a half years I worked part-time through college. I had to get up a 3 am to work at 4, then have classes. I worked at a grocery store, then I switched jobs to work on heavy equipment. I stayed focused on my goals, and today, I got my dream job :jerkit: working on racecars, and I make pretty good money, enough to play around with track days and the such, I also get to bang a few chicks here and there every once and a while, although it is getting harder and harder all the time for some odd reason( I still live at home). As long as you stay focused, you can do it.

soda7o
09-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Hang in there. For 2 and a half years I worked part-time through college. I had to get up a 3 am to work at 4, then have classes. I worked at a grocery store, then I switched jobs to work on heavy equipment. I stayed focused on my goals, and today, I got my dream job :jerkit: working on racecars, and I make pretty good money, enough to play around with track days and the such, I also get to bang a few chicks here and there every once and a while, although it is getting harder and harder all the time for some odd reason( I still live at home). As long as you stay focused, you can do it.

living at home does suck.. but you have to have good friends thatwill wake up at 5 am and leave their apt for you.. :lol:

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 08:46 PM
living at home does suck.. but you have to have good friends thatwill wake up at 5 am and leave their apt for you.. :lol:

Something to look forward to lol

soda7o
09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Something to look forward to lol

yes when your friends live on park avenue... and your ass pays 3 mortgages and is forced to live at home :(

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 08:49 PM
:LOL: Dude defensive driving class won't keep you going all your life LOL!

soda7o
09-13-2005, 08:50 PM
:LOL: Dude defensive driving class won't keep you going all your life LOL!

what you mean.. i aint the one doing it i just know people... and trust me i aint making a dime on it..

i odnt nickle anddime anymore.. i am just helping you out..

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
I know, i was pulling your leg, third leg........ ;)

soda7o
09-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I know, i was pulling your leg, third leg........ ;)
trustme i dont take offense that easily.. besides when you are making 7 figures liek me youll understand.. :lol:

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Thats a million....gimme money bitch!

soda7o
09-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Thats a million....gimme money bitch!
actually its $43,876.56 count em 7 figures beach!!
:LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Kennedy
09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
actually its $43,876.56 count em 7 figures beach!!
:LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL FUCK....I counted......1,000,000.....seven figures :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ffejtable
09-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Like Kawi, I am working full time and going to school part time.. But thats because I am an old fart, with a mortgage, etc, so my bills and feeding myself come first. Right now I tell myself I wish I finished school earlier, but only because I dont want to be dealing with it now. However, if I did that, I wouldnt be where I am now, and I must say I like where I am.

The economy today is nothing like it was 10 years ago, though. And every year, a higher percentage of high school kids are going to college and getting their degree.

As pretty much everybody said, school comes first and then work. If at all possible, working in the field you want to be in after you graduate will be a great help, even if the pay is less than what you are doing now. The experience in your field will be priceless. You may also realize the field is not what you actually want to be in. Things arent always as you perceive them. You may just find out its not what you thought it was, and you can change your major before its too late.

How much work + school you can handle at once depends on the individual, you will have to experiment and figure out what works for you.

I dont know you too well, but from what I am reading, I am sure you will be fine.

Vin
09-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Like Kawi, I am working full time and going to school part time.. But thats because I am an old fart, with a mortgage, etc, so my bills and feeding myself come first. Right now I tell myself I wish I finished school earlier, but only because I dont want to be dealing with it now. However, if I did that, I wouldnt be where I am now, and I must say I like where I am.

Exactly!!! I'm with you there, Jeff.

Kawibabe
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey, so because I have my own house w/ mortgage I'm an old fart? LMAO!!!

soda7o
09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey, so because I have my own house w/ mortgage I'm an old fart? LMAO!!!

technically ........
YES.

and in that case i am a fossil...

mark1478
09-14-2005, 01:53 PM
looking for a weekend job? I can maybe get you a front door gig at my club....60 a night. You just have to be a muthaeffa. Place gets packed and you have to look for reasons not to let certain people in. Ive been at raritan for like 5 years now because i tried to work full time and go to school..its the worst man. You end up dropping classes, missing classes, etc. Try to find a weekend job, maybe you can finish in a reasonable time unlike me. Now that i got a gig as a bartender, im going to take 15-18 credits a semester at kean or rutgers to finish off asap. If i can take it all back now, i would just go to school full time, and finish just like everyone else..on time. but thats my .02 cents.

soda7o
09-14-2005, 02:36 PM
. If i can take it all back now, i would just go to school full time, and finish just like everyone else..on time. .
read my reply above.. if there is a will there is a way...

Rev
09-14-2005, 02:40 PM
honestly i would get the part time job....you need to eat and buy clothes and beer too...

Ant
09-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I agree with this. But as the father of a daughter, I would murder you if I were one of those girl's dads. Just letting you know.

Kind of funny how having a daughter changes your perspective.... :lol:

Vin
09-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Kind of funny how having a daughter changes your perspective.... :lol:

No shit. ;) :LOL:

soda7o
09-14-2005, 03:15 PM
i bet if youahd ason youwoudl be telinghim otherwise

Vin
09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
i bet if youahd ason youwoudl be telinghim otherwise

Yup. It's a double standard.

orion
09-14-2005, 11:00 PM
well my friend. it all depends on the job you take. when i was about 20 i started taking classes at devry in north brunswick. i was taking anywhere from 13 to 19 credits a semester. and i was also working full time nights at MONOC (in eatontown) driving an ambulance. this meant some nights i would just wear my uniform to class and after class i would head straight in to work. on a slow night i could get homework done and catch a nap. now i work nights at a hospital and its far too busy to pull a stunt like that so i cut down on the credits because i dont have the benefit of sleeping at work. but the moral of the story is if you are a commuter student, you should be able to hold down a job, even if just for a few hours a week. like everyone else said, having cash in your pocket is helpful. im no voice of experience or anything, but i would say it helps you with a sense of responsibility.

Kennedy
09-15-2005, 08:07 AM
well my friend. it all depends on the job you take. when i was about 20 i started taking classes at devry in north brunswick. i was taking anywhere from 13 to 19 credits a semester. and i was also working full time nights at MONOC (in eatontown) driving an ambulance. this meant some nights i would just wear my uniform to class and after class i would head straight in to work. on a slow night i could get homework done and catch a nap. now i work nights at a hospital and its far too busy to pull a stunt like that so i cut down on the credits because i dont have the benefit of sleeping at work. but the moral of the story is if you are a commuter student, you should be able to hold down a job, even if just for a few hours a week. like everyone else said, having cash in your pocket is helpful. im no voice of experience or anything, but i would say it helps you with a sense of responsibility.

Thanks Orion, I don't have the liberty of being EMT and finish up HW and what not when it is slow, Im working hard in the shop sanding and staining my wood :embarrass .....but for now I am working 3 days a week about 10 hours a week tuesday thursday and fridays (my day off from class :jerkit: )

PitsVtec
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM
When I was working on my Bachelors, I worked about 25-30 hours a week. I took morning classes and got out around 1-2pm. Then went to work at a law firm until about 6-7pm. I had Fridays off so I worked all day. I used the evening and weekends to do homework. Now I'm a full-time paralegal and a full-time grad student. I do homework when I can. You need to do what works for you...this worked for me...