PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Trail Braking

jmiller427
03-14-2009, 05:04 PM
This is from wikipedia, so it has to be true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking)

"Reverse Trail Braking: A variation of trail braking can actually assist a motorcycle rider in turning his machine quicker in closely linked ess curves or chicanes. In this use the rider applies some front brake as the steering change is being done. Because a motorcycle tends to "stand up" from the front brake application it more rapidly and efficiently brings the machine over to the opposite side, when used in conjunction with standard counter steering inputs. This is an advanced riding technique which is only applicable to track riding and racing."

Has anyone tried this? Me find interesting... First, I'm looking for a faster way to be able to flip from a good right lean to left. It's been bothering me. Plus I find myself entering the first turn slower so that I can make the transition, when I know I could take it much faster.

I've never done trail braking (on purpose), but I'm thinking a quick tug on the brake whenI first start the transition might be helpful.

Thoughts?:taz:

IrocRob
03-14-2009, 05:33 PM
If you have never practiced "trail braking" than don't even think about
"transition braking" - It'll be a fast way to the ground.

Work on your core strength, upper body strength and your input technique.
By that I mean USE BOTH ARMS to turn the bike.
Do not just "push the inside bar" to initiate your turn.

Another point is to get your ass off the seat before you try to get the bike
to change direction, in quick transitions it helps to be set for the second turn
before you are out of the first.

JimRBlue
03-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Another point is to get your ass off the seat ......

I saw you do that....... once..

jmiller427
03-14-2009, 06:38 PM
If you have never practiced "trail braking" than don't even think about
"transition braking" - It'll be a fast way to the ground.

Work on your core strength, upper body strength and your input technique.
By that I mean USE BOTH ARMS to turn the bike.
Do not just "push the inside bar" to initiate your turn.

Another point is to get your ass off the seat before you try to get the bike
to change direction, in quick transitions it helps to be set for the second turn
before you are out of the first.

Yeah I've been working out more focusing on core hoping that helps.
I do a good job of setting up for the turn before hand. I don't have a problem switching cheeks, it's just the bike doesn't follow me as fast as I want.
But I don't think I use both arms. Maybe that's something to focus on next month.

Cakes206
03-14-2009, 07:37 PM
it's just the bike doesn't follow me as fast as I want.

Suspension set up for your weight?

Jake
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I like to practice reverse crashing.

CBRBob
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Wackopedia

jmiller427
03-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Suspension set up for your weight?

Actually it's not.

RCM78
03-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Actually it's not.

It would be better if it was...

Jimmy
03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Actually it's not.

Washington Cycle Works!

Ant
03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
i don't get it though. If you get on the brakes, you're slowing down. Why would you do that?

jmiller427
03-15-2009, 06:44 PM
i don't get it though. If you get on the brakes, you're slowing down. Why would you do that?

I guess the thought process looks like this:

Summit Main - I treat T6 and T7 more like 1 decreasing radius turn and feel like I can get on the gas out of 7 much harder than I am. But my 8 and 9 give me a little problem.

So If I was able to be harder coming out of 7 and then flick 8 faster, I think I can get better speed out of 9. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here, but I know I want to be set up for a faster exit out of 9.

I will set the suspension up for my weight. Never heard of Washington Cycle's, I usually go to MRP. But I'm sure someone at the track can help me with the set up if I ask nicely.

Anyone going to NJMP on Sat Aril 11th?

Cakes206
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Never heard of Washington Cycle's,
Refresh the page till you see the Washington Cycle Works banner at the top of the site. Ron and Papa John will set your bike up perfect. Tell em the guys at sportbikeaddicts sent ya. What area you live in?

jmiller427
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm in Crofton, MD - about 10 minutes West of Annapolis.
25 mins from DC

John712
03-15-2009, 08:02 PM
www.washingtoncycleworks.com

road trip :D

John712
03-15-2009, 08:02 PM
NJMP with what Org?

Cakes206
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm in Crofton, MD - about 10 minutes West of Annapolis.
25 mins from DC
Ahh yea, hes got a few customers from the DC area. Have service, will travel :ride:

jmiller427
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm riding with NESBA.

So I finally get a track bike and I need to take a road trip to set it up?

JimRBlue
03-15-2009, 09:06 PM
It would be worth the trip. Most everyone here can vouch for Ron and Papa John.

Its not that hard.. But the experience the bring to the table is quite the time saver. If you want to give it a whirl..

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/motorcycle_suspension/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_suspension_settings/index.html

John712
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
yup, im there the 10th and 11th :D

RCM78
03-16-2009, 07:25 AM
I like WCW as much as anybody. In fact my bike is up there right now. But you could go to speedwerks. MRP has a shady rep.

carl_g
03-16-2009, 07:58 AM
I like WCW as much as anybody. In fact my bike is up there right now. But you could go to speedwerks. MRP has a shady rep.
Yeah Speedwerks is a lot closer to you.

jmiller427
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Speedwerks might work well - can go over the bridge Friday and then take the Cape May - Lewes ferry up to NJMP.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but can you elaborate on the MRP's rep?
PM if it's better, but they are close to me and I've been there a few times.

RCM78
03-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Speedwerks might work well - can go over the bridge Friday and then take the Cape May - Lewes ferry up to NJMP.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but can you elaborate on the MRP's rep?
PM if it's better, but they are close to me and I've been there a few times.

I know several racers that had motors built by them and they didnt last long. I mean they blew within a week. One motor had to be rebuilt three times before it stayed together. AFAIK MRP stood behind their work but why deal with the hassle. I think whoever is doing the motorwork is learning as he goes along.