PDA

View Full Version : Return Spring for Aftermarket Rearsets

BurnCycle
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
This trick may work on a number of bikes. It’s not new but I find some people are still surprised by the simplicity of the idea. If you’re running aftermarket rearsets chances are that they did not included provisions for the brake switch which also acts as the return spring. A return spring is not absolutely necessary but will provide a positive feel to the brake lever. I know a number of riders don’t find it really important, but you might want to try it.

Placing a spring between the lever arm and master cylinder is simple and very effective.

http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/26Sep04/rearset5.jpg

CBRBob
09-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Simple, but just make sure it dosent tear the dust seal. Another thing is that it is so close to the pivot point it has to be a hard spring to get the feel of having one there. Just can't have a soft spring there. Cool!

DougZ
09-07-2005, 09:04 PM
I have seen that mod before....but where do you get the spring from???? Hardware store I assume.

BurnCycle
09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Hardware store is the best bet. This one came from the Pair valve actuator!

Like Bob said, got to be careful of the rubber boot (dust seal), no matter what spring you get it will have to be tweaked a bit. I was able to open this one so it sat at the base of the master cylinder and not bind against the boot when compressed.

Cakes206
09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Whats a rear brake?

CBRBob
09-10-2005, 10:32 PM
...........it's that thing you use when on the street or when you want to scare the crap out of someone behind you on the track :)

High_Revs_17
09-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Whats a rear brake?

I think the Hayden bros. can answer that one for ya...