PDA

View Full Version : Im no knee dragger

BurnCycle
09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
But I still like my track shots.

I’ve only done a few track days (6) since I started to enjoy that side of the sport (riding for some 15 years though). I still run the beginner class with TPM and enjoy it, though I think I’ll grab a CR next time to be evaluated for a move up.

Occasionally I drag a knee through a turn but it’s an oddity to say the least. I did an onboard video at Summit Point back in ’03 and laugh because the CR in front of me makes me look good. When he’s touching down I’m still about a mile off the ground. It use to frustrate me but then I started to realize that it didn’t matter as long as my riding position was good and I was having fun. I also started to realize that the TLS has an unusually high seat and very wide gas tank that doesn’t help… The unusually large beer gut also doesn’t help things.

But alas, I still can’t help but feed the megalomaniac in me.

In ‘03
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/Track2/SPTrack1LR.jpg

In ‘04
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/Track5/Bern2.jpg

In ‘05
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/Track6/BernFinger1.JPG

Oh, that video can be seen here (http://www.mariposaderojo.com/mpg/FollowMe.wmv). It is 11.8meg in size so a right click / save as would be best.

Lee
09-06-2005, 01:25 PM
If you want to learn.. Let me know and I'll teach you in the pits with my XR50 then we can hit the track and get it done.

BurnCycle
09-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Lee, It may be 10/17 before I'm back at the track but I'll definitely look you up. Thanks for the offer.

Vin
09-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Lee, It may be 10/17 before I'm back at the track but I'll definitely look you up. Thanks for the offer.

Summit Main? I'll be there. I'd like to meet you and say 'hi'.

Lee
09-06-2005, 02:15 PM
beaver and summit main i will be at this month

Kennedy
09-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Forget the 50...try it on a pocket bike :)

motopix
09-08-2005, 08:49 AM
You'll be draggin' knees before you know it Bern. I touched down at Summit JC earlier this year. Last time we were at Main I was dragging it enough that I started lifting it a bit and just using it as a feeler.

Bump to red and come play.

Lee
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Forget the 50...try it on a pocket bike :)

believe it or not, pocket bikes are too small and you won't get the right feel, and body position..

RtypeNYC
09-14-2005, 02:26 PM
But I still like my track shots.
SWEET shots! :)

however, speed has NOTHING to do with touching your knee down. like you said, the goal is body position, transfer of weight and center of gravity. same deal with chicken strips and scraping pegs. the more you get the center of gravity off the bike, the faster the bike goes through the turns without having to lean over so far.

it's all fun and games to scrape stuff, but riders can scrape and be slow and "not scrape" and be fast.

Onedwn5up
09-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Knee draggin does not equal speed but at the same time it helps to get that center of gravity lower to the point you can carry more cornerspeed. Plus it makes for some really great photos!

One of my close friends in the blue group hardly ever touches his knee down and he goes faster than most. For some, it's just a matter of wanting to do it or know that they can do it.

It's usually a matter or just a few pointers and technique and ew can have you getting that knee down in no time. Just talk to any of us coaches out there and we're always glad to help!

Kennedy
09-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Knee draggin does not equal speed but at the same time it helps to get that center of gravity lower to the point you can carry more cornerspeed. Plus it makes for some really great photos!

One of my close friends in the blue group hardly ever touches his knee down and he goes faster than most. For some, it's just a matter of wanting to do it or know that they can do it.

It's usually a matter or just a few pointers and technique and ew can have you getting that knee down in no time. Just talk to any of us coaches out there and we're always glad to help!

You going to be at 10/17? I could use some pointers!!!!!1

Kennedy
09-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Sorry double postt!

Onedwn5up
09-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I can't make it there on that date since I will have someone coming into town for business related stuff otherwise I would more than likely be there and would also be glad to help you out.

I'll be at Beverun this Saturday and Shenandoah on Sunday. Then prob 10/8-9 at Pocono.

Were you at Pocono last weekend?

You going to be at 10/17? I could use some pointers!!!!!1

Kennedy
09-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I can't make it there on that date since I will have someone coming into town for business related stuff otherwise I would more than likely be there and would also be glad to help you out.

I'll be at Beverun this Saturday and Shenandoah on Sunday. Then prob 10/8-9 at Pocono.

Were you at Pocono last weekend?

No I wasn't there last weeked But was trying to get Pocono East for the 8th but I went to sign up today and it was full :(