PDA

View Full Version : 929 electrical problem

orion
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
hi all...im having a problem with failing stators. back in fall '07 my bike wasnt charging the battery. i replaced the battery first and when i found that wasnt the problem, i consulted the service manual and i ran the diagnostics that they reccomended, which led me to the stator. i replaced the stator with an aftermarket brand (ElectroSport Industries) and that made it through till about september and the same symptoms came back. i checked the stator and its cooked again. i do have some LEDs on the bike (dont worry im not a total squid) but they are off most of the time and i dont think LEDs draw enough juice to kill my electrical system like this. but could i be wrong? i did drop the bike on the left side before the first stator went and the motor took a nice hit on the stator, which im told can kill it. but this one didnt take any hits, in fact it didn't even make it for a full year. was buying an aftermarket brand a mistake? should i ditch the LEDs? and could it be something else causing these things to fail, possibly a bad reg/rectifier? any input? i dont really feel like dishing out $400 for a factory replacement, but if i keep coughing up $135 and all the work involved for cheap aftermarket replacements then its obviously worth the $400.

IrocRob
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I've used Electrosport before without problems, but I've heard that other
people have had less luck with them.

Check the regulator/rectifier, and if you don't already have the
factory service manual, get it.

NYCSTRIPES
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I had a 1993 CBR 900rr that also had lots of electrical problems. The Regulator/Rectifier was the culprit as Rob suggested. Have it checked out and also look for any exposed wiring causing a dead short in your harness.

RCM78
02-20-2009, 12:35 AM
3rd for the reg/rec...

buckle up
02-20-2009, 03:39 AM
like they said check the reg /rec and also look at the connectors if the are melted or burnt or corosion on them and ur led's dont draw nearly enough power to burn out ur stator:ride: