PDA

View Full Version : Track Only Bike and oil/Fluid change intervals...

Bster13
09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I did an oil/filter, brake and coolant change with Syn. on my SV at the beginning of the year and have done 3.5 trackdays on it (last one got rained out 1/2 way through.) burning through about a tank of gas each trackday. Is there some generally accepted practices for changing out fluids on your track bike?

I run my SV in 3rd gear most of Pocono East and run it hard, WOT when is possible, but not to where I feel I am abusing it. Closest I come to abusing it would be on the back straight where I run in 3rd gear almost to red line then shift 4th and run that almost all the way up the rev range (I say almost because I have no tach.) as well.

I wouldn't say this is out of the normal operating parameters of the bike so does this type of riding really warrant changing my fluids more often that what is recommended in the service manual? I would say I brake harder than on the street though, but a run through Deal's Gap I am revving/braking very hard as well. I don't mind taking care of my bike in the slightest, but don't like throwing $ away either.

Thanks,

Bryce

Cakes206
09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I change the sv650's oil every 4 track days...5 max if the 4th day is the first of a two day weekend. For coolant I run water w/water wetter but throw in antifreez at the end of the season because I have a storage unit but its not climate controled...then switch back to water round the end of March. Brake fluid in my bike I haven't touched since I bout it from the previous owner in late '03. It's still the same color as the day I got it and I NEVER experienced ANY fade...stops on a dime.

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-02-2005, 02:08 AM
every 4 or 5 days I change oil/filter, brake fluid, and tires. coolant and suspension fluid get done once a year

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-02-2005, 02:08 AM
and I also replace my muffler bearings and blinker fluid every 8 to 10 days