PDA

View Full Version : Re-Mapping

Lorenzo
05-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know if you NEED to remap your bike when you get a new exhaust. What I hear is that you can lose hp if you don't remap. Personally, I got a pipe for the sound not performance.

Vin
05-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know if you NEED to remap your bike when you get a new exhaust. What I hear is that you can lose hp if you don't remap. Personally, I got a pipe for the sound not performance.

From what I've read, you'll NEED to remap if you put a full exhaust on. If your bike is FI and you have a slip-on, the CPU should compensate for the pipe.

Lorenzo
05-21-2005, 06:24 PM
From what I've read, you'll NEED to remap if you put a full exhaust on. If your bike is FI and you have a slip-on, the CPU should compensate for the pipe.
oh...show-off LOL

5wytchBh4kk
05-21-2005, 06:51 PM

don't believe that dude. there's no jap bike efi system i ever worked on that compensates for anything. they're not that smart. It would at least need a mas airflow sensor and a wide band o2 sensor to make any kind of realtime duty cycle adjustments.

the honda ecu's , for example, have 3 stock maps in them. when you cycle the system(turn the key on), it takes an air temp and barometric pressure reading then picks the best map to run on until the next time you cycle the key.

the zuk ecu's are programmable though. Factory pro has a programmer for them if you don't want a powercommander.

IMO, if your plugs look good after a hard ride you're runnin fine.

Vin
05-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Ok, that's cool. However, do you think that a remap is necessary even with a slip-on? I don't think air/fuel would be drastically affected with a change like that.

5wytchBh4kk
05-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Ok, that's cool. However, do you think that a remap is necessary even with a slip-on? I don't think air/fuel would be drastically affected with a change like that.

i think its bike dependent. for example, Ron at WCW told me that 03 R6s make the most power with the straightest curve using a graves full system and a stock ecu. . now as far as being balanced by way of air/fuel ratio, thats another story. i mean, if it was running severely lean it wouldn't make optimal power, yknow?

njf4i
05-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Well i knew this would be the best section for Xenos.

Seriously though mapping and PCiii and all that become a tricky situation. Ron at WCW says most of the times the maps hurt the bike over helping them. Also like Xenos says, "There is no way that they took a bike and put every single pipe on them to make a map" which is true.

When we did mine we ran a stock map over a Micron map for my f4i

Jimmy
05-22-2005, 10:20 AM
The stock map on my GSX-R (full Yosh system and Yosh EMS) produced 125.32hp. After the remap it produced 132.86hp. What's the point in upgrading the exhaust if you're not gonna get the most out of it? Unless, like you said...you're just going for the sound ;)

duc748pilot
05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
it isnt really bike dependant. if you are using a aftermarket slipon, fullsystem, end can, whatever.....and or a aftermarker air filter. Your obviously increasing air flow....and keeping the same amount of fuel per injection. Your going to run lean in 99% of cases. Most not noticable enough for someone to be able to physically feel it. in other it will be a hell of a lot more noticable. Its completely up to the owner to have the fuel/air ratio corrected....its IMO not something that must be done. im running a leo vince pipe, wrapped headers and mid pipe, and a bmc race filter....and im running a generic map off of dynojets site. I played around with a few of them and found the one that felt the best. ie: throttle response, power, heat production (my bike runs SUPER hot now) etc etc.

obviously though, like jimmy's bike shows us.....there is a lot of power to be found with the correct mix.

HondaGalToo
05-31-2005, 08:40 AM
From what I understand, a remap isn't absolutely necessary with a slip-on. I had a 2 bros slip-on on my 929. I used it stock, and with a map from dynojet for the 2 bros. Only difference was it smoothed out the throttle response a bit. The 929 has an abrupt on/off feel. For a full system, you'll need to remap. I upgraded to a full system and used a generic map at first. Then I got a custom map and it made a difference. All bikes are different, so even if a map was made for your bike + exhaust, it's still not going to be optimal, as it wasn't made for your particular bike.