PDA

View Full Version : track tire ?HELP?

breeze
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
so im buying new tires for my bike and im a little lost..:arrr: ..... i have an 08 gsxr 750... i never had a "track only" bike before.. my tire of choice on the streets was the pilot powers.(i just have a lot of confidence on those tires) on perellis, on the street i wasnt to happy... the metzler m3 just suck.. and the qualifers were good i just think the pilots felt better.... tires are going to be an issue this year for me cause i got a whole bunch of track time planned..... on the track so far i rode the bridge stone t015r. basically what is the stock tire.....i can get sets of those for 220 which is super cheap but is it worth it to save a few pennies... in my mind no but i dont know how much tires are going to play a role cause i heard you go threw them like toilet paper........i have no clue what to buy mayb the pilot power ct2,s i can get those for 310 do u guys have any advise.... what tires do you guys run and why?? just looking for advise i plan to get rims with rain tires for the rain so lets assume dry track thanks

Cakes206
01-30-2009, 01:09 PM
What group are in you in again?

For rains, imo Bstones hands down. Remember to run a narrower tire, 165 rear for Bstones.

ronaldo9
01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Many of us run the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro. Little bit more grip then the DCIII but not super expensive either. They are about 309/set. My advice is to stick with a pilot power 2ct or qualifier whatever you like and you'll know when you need to step it up to a better tire trust me. They'll either be melting after a day or you'll be sliding them in turns. Tell you the truth I was using DCIII's up to Advanced group with no problems and stepped it up for more insurance. I'm still slow though but w/e.

JimRBlue
01-30-2009, 02:01 PM
DCIII's are fine for the whitey..

lateapex
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro are my choice. Word is the Bridgestones are pretty good too.

RQuinn
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
DC3's lasted me 11 track days (1 was a rain day) in red/blue group this year without warmers and would have lasted longer if they didnt cold tear at njmp oct 20th when i saw you last...

pillaka
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
When it comes to tires, its shouldn't matter what other people like. ride on what makes you feel comfortable. You can't go wrong with anything from pirelli/bridgestone/michelin/dunlop.

Sounds like you like pilot powers, the pilot power 2ct's are just pilot powers with a dual compound tread, a harder rubber in the center and softer on the sides rather than a uniform rubber throughout the tire.

As for rain tires, my opinion is they really aren't necessary for trackdays. You can ride fine in the rain on street/track and d.o.t.s in the rain

breeze
01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
ok thanks for the input.............. right now im in the red group......... and 11 track days on one pair...thats alot......

ffejtable
01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
I think I got 10 days on my rear until I got onto Lightning and it tore the hell out of it... I run mid pack red on most tracks to give you an idea of how slow I am. I'll probbaly get another 10 days on the front tire. :)

breeze
01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
so quick question?????????? why are so guys getting like 8 to 10 track days out of a set and others like 2... i figure PACE and TACK TEMP. has a key role but the one guy is in blue group mid pack id say and he got 10 ??? it just doesnt figure right but i now that their being honest??? i dont know......

Kennedy
01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
It also depends on riding style/track/temp etc...some people who are hard on the throttle and not smooth go through rear tires like water...

pillaka
01-31-2009, 02:05 PM
so quick question?????????? why are so guys getting like 8 to 10 track days out of a set and others like 2... i figure PACE and TACK TEMP. has a key role but the one guy is in blue group mid pack id say and he got 10 ??? it just doesnt figure right but i now that their being honest??? i dont know......

There are a ton of variables that dictate when people replace tires.

Yes the faster you go, the faster you will burn through tires. It sucks.

Also a street/track compound tire is a harder rubber than at DOT tire, so they will last longer. The rider also plays a part, a smoother rider not pushing the tires hard is going to get more life out of it. I can easily see someone getting 10 days out of a street/track compound tire. Thing about those tires is as long as they have rubber on them they are going to grip pretty much that same, not so much for DOT tires which have optimal grip then fade toward the end of their lifecycle.

When it comes to replacing them, that comes down to the rider.
Over the years I see lots and lots of people get a set of lets say pirelli DOT supercorsas. Run 2 - 3 trackdays, as soon as they feel a rear "slide", the buy a new rear or even a whole new set and throw that on the bike. So now you have someone saying they get 2 - 3 days out of a set.

In the meantime you can have another guy run the same tires and the same 2 - 3 trackdays, feel a rear "slide", look at the rear tire and see he has 50 - 60% rubber left and keep riding on it and get another trackday or two. He's running the same pace and gets 4 - 5 out of a set.

To each their own, your money you can do what you want! Personally though I don't mind the people that look at a supercorsa with 50% tread left and then decide to throw it out, free takeoffs are awesome!

breeze
01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
ok ok thanks for the input makes more sence now..

FDNYDANO18
02-01-2009, 12:26 AM
I usually get about 2-3 days on a rear and about 5-6 on a front( Pirelli SC Pro)... when they start to slide around on the last day or 2 ...I just slow down a little and enjoy trying to learn sliding with control.

khr
04-14-2009, 07:17 PM
A bit late to the party, but i really like the bridgestone BT002RS. i'm a mid-pack red group and got 8 days out of mine last season.

ronin_01r1
04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
how well your suspension is set has a big influence on tires

Mack
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Personally I'm running high red group times and I'm running DCIII's good grip and perdictable. Although I am going back to "Race Tires" because I'm a hard on the throttle person and I have already gotten the DCIII's slipping at jennings (and i got warmers cheap)...plus the ape has a lot of torque....ride what tire you like till it's moving a lot on you then try something different.