PDA

View Full Version : Shift pattern shuffle

benellis
08-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Just bought a track bike and it has the GP shift pattern on it, I took it around the block, much to the dislike of my neighbors, and noticed that I suck at GP shifting. I flipped the fixture at the transmission end of the shift rod and noticed that the rod in the new position doesn't follow the same type of arc as it did when it was set up for GP. The new position has more of a pronounced "sweep" at the trans side. Is this going to affect the shift quality of the bike, or does it not really matter? Should I ride it and find out?

CBRBob
08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
You basically want the short levers that the shaft mounts to, to be 90deg to the shift shaft. You may have to get a longer or shorter shaft or you may just be able to adjust it or cut a few threads off.

Cakes206
08-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Whats up Ben...what bike you end up getting?!

DougZ
08-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Another addict...congrats Ben.

I wish you luck with your track bike, at least way more luck than I have had with mine. LOL

benellis
08-31-2005, 09:39 AM
You basically want the short levers that the shaft mounts to, to be 90deg to the shift shaft. You may have to get a longer or shorter shaft or you may just be able to adjust it or cut a few threads off.

The way I have it now seems "more correct" than the GP shift pattern mounting was. Now it is 90 degrees to the shift shaft, whereas before, it kind of had a 45 degree mount, and didn't have the travel during shifting.

benellis
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Whats up Ben...what bike you end up getting?!

Got an R6, gonna have to do some work to it, mostly cosmetic, so it doesn't look like a beater. It seems mechanically sound, it isn't F'ed up at all.

soda7o
08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Got an R6, gonna have to do some work to it, mostly cosmetic, so it doesn't look like a beater. It seems mechanically sound, it isn't F'ed up at all.

for an r6 9199 to 2002) i think
if i remeber correctly you can turn the knuckle to get it to be GP shift and/or buy a woodcraft shift rod for 25 bucks and that makes it gpp shift. i had that set up for my bike for ilek a day .. didnt like it for the street. and got rid of it.