PDA

View Full Version : Race Plastic Repair?

Smokes35
08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
hey---

quick question... looking to refinish my body work after the little incident i had... i know alot of people use bondo, but that stuff dries so hard and ridgid... the fiberglass body on this stuff is quite flexible, and i dont want it to just crack next time theres any pressure on the area... plus the flexibility allows for better crash survival of other hard parts...

do they make any other products out there that will better suit my situation??

Thanks in advance...

Cakes206
08-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Not sure...but did a qwik search...I'm sure you could find something at Home Depot too...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=flex+fiberglass+repair+kits&btnG=Google+Search

carl_g
08-30-2005, 07:37 AM
yeah dont use bondo.. it doesn't flex and will crack after a little while.
Home depot sells fiberglass kits the come with fiber weave and the glue. once it is patched and dried you can sand it down and repaint. Also, if you have a crack going it is good to drill a hole like 2 inches down from the visible end of the crack and fill that. This will prvent the crack from getting any bigger.

CBRBob
08-30-2005, 08:10 AM
You want a long strand fiberglass repair kit that comes with a fiberglass matting cloth. Available from any auto parts store.

Smokes35
08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Thank you very much guys.

Lee
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
hey look at this !!
I've been keeping it in my book marks, since my bike is HALF Stock sh!t and half Race..
http://www.urethanesupply.com/howtorepair.html

I have weldded the plastice stuff together and it works, but I want to try that Uni-Weld FiberFlex

Lee

skid vicious
09-02-2005, 11:18 AM
did someone mention home depot???
yes, they have the fiberglass repair kit with the mesh. they also have a plastic welder epoxy glue. i'm not sure what type of repair you are doing, but i fully endorse the epoxy glue for it's strength in bonding 2 pieces of plastic together. if you're looking to get a fairly decent finish, it might be an idea to use the epoxy for it's strength and the fiberglass for finish.

ezpunkx
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
fiberglass is pretty easy to work with, u just gotta get the hang of it. practice on some things first.