PDA

View Full Version : My bike's totalled, what should I do?

High_Revs_17
08-29-2005, 07:03 PM
My bike's worth in excellent condition was $2,400. The inspector sent me a notice stating the bike was totalled and Rider will give me $1,800 for it. My question is should I file the claim and take the cash and risk my auto ins. rates going thru the roof the next term and staying that way for many years? Or should I just keep the bike and either sell it to a junk yard and/ or part it out? As much as I loved it I really don't trust riding it ever again due to the extent of damage done so these seem to be my only options.

Smokes35
08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Your policy wont go thru the roof if u turn the claim in... (im an insurance agent)

maybe a slight increase, but we're not talking more than maybe 15%, depending on the company.... ya gotta also remember, if u get a new bike, the premium would go way up anyway becuase the bike and cost to repair it is significantly increased.

question is... if u can get 1800 out of it...

if u can, its a no brainer-- scrap it for parts...

if u cant come close... just take it on the chin this time.

ronin_01r1
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
i'd take the money. that's why u have insurance, otherwise u might as well have had liability only.

MPtotheFZ
08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Well my old man had his bike totalled way back and he said when he got it back from repair it just didn't ride or feel the same as before. Just food for thought.

Vin
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I know I'm oversimplifying, but:

Take the cash, part the bike, find a new carrier if your rates get jacked.

More importantly, finish your PT and get back into shape.

Smokes35
08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
finding a new carrier isnt as easy as it sounds... they surcharge for claim history-- best bet is to stay put if can -- then once its written, look elsewhere

IrocRob
08-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I'd find out how much a salvage yard would pay first.
Then decide whether to file the claim or sell to salvage yard.
For me, The time and trouble of parting it out wouldn't be worth it.

njf4i
08-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Ron just take the check.

That way you can mail it to me for the "nick gets a apartment with mack" fund.

It works out for both of us. :)

soda7o
08-30-2005, 05:13 PM
stop bitching..
are youreally in the condition to part your bike... ...?
how long will it take you to raise up the money that you can get right away? i sthee really a deamand for parts form your bike?
think about it..
just take the check your insurance willnot go up that much.

xstortion
08-31-2005, 09:38 AM
I agree take the cash

FigNewTon
08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Ask if they would give you the cash and let you keep the bike....if the ins co takes the bike they will part it out for a few bucks as well...since its not a very high value they might not care if they give it to you....its worth a try.....

If not.....Figure your loss both ways and pick the best option.

carl_g
08-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah I wonder.. Is there a big market for parts for that bike. I would just take the cash and run.