PDA

View Full Version : TTT with TPM on 8/27

Vin
08-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Where do I begin?

I met up with Joe (Cakes) to take the ride out to PIR. Weather was great going all the way out there UNTIL...

Until Joe pulled up next to me on SV and pointed at the sky. Black storm clouds were moving in and we just looked at each other and shook our heads. Figures!

Pull into PIR and the rain starts coming down. Joe introduced me to a few of the TPM staff -- Glenn, Linda, and others. All are very nice folks.

I met up with Gina and Evan (who are from a different board), Song, Doug, and Jen at various points in the day. I even got to be super squiderific riding around with no helmet to the bathroom and stuff.

Now for the good stuff:

It stopped raining about 30 minutes before our session, and the sun came out. The White, Red, and Blue riders basically dried the track off for us. One guy in blue had a BRAND NEW MV AGUSTA F4 and was tearing shit up. There were two Brutales our there too. I had my camera, but the batteries died. :(

TTT itself was great. The control riders gave us a briefing on what we'd be doing. We were ordered to stay in line, no passing, and were told to follow the control rider's line exactly as follows. Linda ushered out the riders onto the track and our first few laps were taken very slowly. I put some space between myself and the guy in front so I could open up a little bit in the corners.

At first, the pace was very slow but I guess that was intended to get us familiar with the track, turn entrance, apex and exit markers. After three laps, I began feeling "brave" and would push lower and faster in each corner. (Obviously after I put a gap between myself and the GS500 in front of me...)

After about 5 laps, we were told to pit in and we were chatting about how we felt out there. We went on a second go-round where the pace was picked up a bit (I hit 80 or so on the straight -- I know, it's not much, but for a TTT session, I didn't expect to go past 50) and pretty much hit every corner at a good speed without touching the brakes at all.

I think the TTT is a GREAT tool for those folks who are teetering on whether or not to go to a track day. It's a lot of fun, got me accustomed to how track days are run, and really gave me a feel about how the atmosphere is at a track day. People you don't know will help you with a problem on your bike (my pillion seat was stuck and two guys helped me "unstuck" it; Doug even put the seats back together when I had to sign in) -- coaches will offer friendly advice (one was asking me what my tire pressures were, and told me what they should be and why).

After playing on the track a bit, Jen and myself chatted with Evan and Gina, and then decided to hit the slabby ride home. Whatta long ride that is, especially fully geared up.

I cannot wait for 9/15... and am prepared to do a second day after that -- just don't know which one to do. :D

Cakes206
08-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Excellent write up Vin. When I first saw those clouds I was like "Fuckin Pocono weather :nono: " I'm really glad you enjoyed it...TTT is really an excellent idea as the first time out on a track can be very intimidating...awesome...keep up the great work.

Was good to see some the other SBA members, Doug, Song, Evan(estyles)...good to meet Gina and Evan from CF as well

Wish I coulda stayed...the ride back to work sucked...rain till I got back into Jersey :jerkit:

Oh shit, I think I just saw a listing for a garage sale at Vinny's house in the Sunday paper... :lol: :lol:

benellis
08-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Glad you were able to make it out to the track! It is the best thing I've done this summer. I want to get a dedicated track bike and head out at least one more time this season. Anyways, great to hear you had a good time. You won't have any regrets joining TPM :wave2:

Qetesh
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Vinny, you looked great out there during TTT! Really comfortable and in to it ;) I know you're gonna be awesome! Beaverun 9/24 & 9/25 :boogie:

DougZ
08-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Glad both Song and you had a good time on the track. the TTT is kinda like crack for the small school child....LOL..gives you just a taste to make you wanna sign up for a track day. LOL

No problem helping you out with the bike...always helpful to figure stuff like that out.

Look forward to seeing you guys out there again.

lateapex
08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Glad you had fun doing TTT, like others said it's a great intro to the track. It usually just adds fuel to the desire to ride on the track and as I can see we did just that.

It's always fun for us coaches to do this for you, it reminds us what we were like when we first started doing track days.