PDA

View Full Version : the track bike again...GSXR600 issues

DougZ
08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
So, I got everything buttoned up on the track bike last night, filled the fluids, and went to start it up...nothing. Actually, I first got the FI light blinking, checked the diagnotics for the code, got a "C15" Engine Coolant Temp sensor, and found where I forgot to hook up one of the wire harness connectors.

I hooked the sensor back up and then thought the bike would start. Went to start it again..no codes this time, but it was just turning over, and not firing. Knowing that it only takes two things to make a motor run, fuel and spark, I decided to spray some staring fluid(ether) into the air box and give it a try again. This time it started, but only ran till the starting fluid was used up. So, now I know I have a fuel delivery issue.

The fuel pump I have in there I am 99% sure it works fine. I used it before I did the motor swap, and now after the motor swap, I hear it kicking on and priming itself, so I don't think it is that.

The only only other things it could be is the hose that connects between the tank/fuel pump and the throttle bodies, or the throttle bodies themselves. Both of those items are from the new parts that I got, figuring since they only have 4000 miles on them, the should be working fine.

I finally gave up around 9 pm when it was dark and couldn't see anything anymore. I am gonna first try to swap the hose from the old throttle bodies to the new ones and see if that works, if not, I am gonna put on the old throttle bodies, since I know they worked on the old motor.

If those two things don't work, I don't know what else to try. Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA

Cakes206
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Check the plugs. If they're wet it's not a fuel issue. Check the output power of the battery as well. Also...just an fyi...that starter fluid stuff is no good for the motor...something bout the top of the pistons are made of or something...was talking bout it with Ron from WCW while back and he mentioned something bout it but I can't remember exactly.

DougZ
08-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Check the plugs. If they're wet it's not a fuel issue. Also...just an fyi...that starter fluid stuff is no good for the motor...something bout the top of the pistons are made of or something...was talking bout it with Ron from WCW while back and he mentioned something bout it but I can't remember exactly.

I'll check the plugs tonight. I didn't use the starting fluid for any length of time, but it is useful to tell you if you have a fuel or spark problem. If you use the starting fluid and the motors starts, it usually tells ya its a fuel issue...if it doesn't start with starting fluid, its usually a spark related issue, or lack there of.

I wonder if the thottle bodies I got with the new parts may be the culprit. They did sit around for two years with out being used. I wonder if they gum up like carbs do???

Ant
08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I'll check the plugs tonight. I didn't use the starting fluid for any length of time, but it is useful to tell you if you have a fuel or spark problem. If you use the starting fluid and the motors starts, it usually tells ya its a fuel issue...if it doesn't start with starting fluid, its usually a spark related issue, or lack there of.

I wonder if the thottle bodies I got with the new parts may be the culprit. They did sit around for two years with out being used. I wonder if they gum up like carbs do???

Throttle bodies don't gum up. They don't deliver fuel, they are just air tunnels basically. Fuel lines could be gummed up or injectors clogged. Check the fuel filter too.

carl_g
08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Do you have gas?

DougZ
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Do you have gas?

Yeah, that would be really dumb to run out of gas huh, especially while out on the track. duohp. :)

AfricanBootyScratcher
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
swap out the whole throttle boddy/fuel rail/injector assembly. also check the TPS is set OK.
I was serious, if you have a major problem, you can use my bike on sat, since it will be there anyway, just PLEASE be sure to have it full of gas for me for Sun

DougZ
08-25-2005, 12:43 PM
swap out the whole throttle boddy/fuel rail/injector assembly. also check the TPS is set OK.
I was serious, if you have a major problem, you can use my bike on sat, since it will be there anyway, just PLEASE be sure to have it full of gas for me for Sun

OK, Omar...I really appreciate that. I am hoping to have this thing straigtened out tonight, but I'll have your offer in the back of my mind just in case.

Besides getting the motor going, I have some small issues to work out as well, like getting the clutch adjusted well..doesn't feel like its releasing enough, and when the rear axle is torqued to spec, the rear wheel barely wants to spin.

Thanks again Oms.

RacerGSX
08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Fuek injectors working??? I think not. Never ASSume that because some joe said they work that they work. If you need help give me a call. I am done with my computer class and passed the test Whooo. Anyway give me a call I will be loading the trailer.

Dan

DougZ
08-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Fuek injectors working??? I think not. Never ASSume that because some joe said they work that they work. If you need help give me a call. I am done with my computer class and passed the test Whooo. Anyway give me a call I will be loading the trailer.

Dan

5:30- 6pm..be there or be square. BTW, thanks for the help.