PDA

View Full Version : Quit or be fired?

jcblitz
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
I overheard this company that sits behind my desk talking about a situation if you're offered either to "quit or be fired", which would they take.

Thinking about it, if it was something that was beyond my control that caused this offer, I'd take fired. It would be something you could explain to a future employer that wasn’t your fault and here’s why…and you could collect unemployment.

But if it was all my fault because I fucked up or incompetent, I'd quit. You don't get unemployment, but you also don't get branded with "you got fired for fucking up".

Does that make any sense to anyone else? I've never been fired from a job so I don’t know how that works, but I've quit a bunch for various reasons. Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Vin
08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Makes sense to me. I actually can't quit a job because I'm the sole provider for my family, so it would be irresponsible for me to do something like that. I'd have to get "fired" or "laid off" so that I could collect unemployment/severance.

I'd probably have to sit tight and deal if I did fuck something up, and face the consequences because of my financial situation. I've never been fired or laid off either -- I don't know what it's like and I'm sure it's very unpleasant.

neebelung
08-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd opt for quitting. Collecting unemployment isn't of huge concern to me, but having the stigma of being ASKED to leave a job would bother me.

soda7o
08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I'd opt for quitting. Collecting unemployment isn't of huge concern to me, but having the stigma of being ASKED to leave a job would bother me.

wait to get fired....never quit

Cakes206
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
But if it was all my fault because I fucked up or incompetent, I'd quit. You don't get unemployment

You still can collect, just need to wait a little longer before you can start as opposed to being fired.

njf4i
08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I would take being fired over quiting any day. Personally i wouldn't want to walk out on there terms. i would make them force me out and than go right to the unemployment line.

Cakes206
08-24-2005, 05:06 PM
I would take being fired over quiting any day. Personally i wouldn't want to walk out on there terms. i would make them force me out and than go right to the unemployment line.

If ya get fired you have no choice but to leave on their terms...quit, and you'll be leaving on YOUR terms...especially if someone is in a dead end job that has no room for growth...i.e. telecom world...the best way for a high pay increas is to jump from job to job...

ronin_01r1
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
i'd quit for sure and i wouldn't help in any way with the transition for the next guy.

Tonupboy
08-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Never quit dude, unless you got something waiting on the sidelines....I would rather get fired for something like downsizing. If you get fired for incompetence - well then, that's your problem.

sassichick
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
I have always quit... never been fired. just seems like quiting sounds better if they call your previous employer.

benellis
08-25-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm very sensitive, I probably couldn't take getting fired. :cries:

Pirate
08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
i have quit jobs before ever getting fired.... that way i have no harsh feelings towards the previous employer...being that they are usually bussineses i like to frequent even when not working.

neebelung
08-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Never quit dude, unless you got something waiting on the sidelines....

Well that's a given (to me, anyway). I'd never quit one job without another one lined up....

...I would rather get fired for something like downsizing. If you get fired for incompetence - well then, that's your problem.

Ahh, but that's different. Getting fired for downsizing isn't really getting fired... it's getting laid off (which isn't going to leave a black mark on your 'record').

Smokes35
08-31-2005, 09:37 AM
I vote for neither...

do the best you can to replace your current job with whatever you can before either happens--- damned if you do damned if u dont so to speak

U quit? They'll question your dedication to your work
U Get fired? They'll think u suck at life.

so-- dodge both bullets....