PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Chain Cleaning Brush

IrocRob
10-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Stumbled across this chain "brush" and thought it was an interesting idea; anyone ever try this thing?

http://www.tirox.ca/index.html

JimRBlue
10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Seems pretty interesting.. I shall await your reviews :P

CBRBob
10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
looks like a waste of $. Just keep it clean by using a good lube and wiping it with the engine off.

lateapex
10-02-2008, 08:17 AM
looks like a waste of $. Just keep it clean by using a good lube and wiping it with the engine off.

I agree with Bob here, especially the engine off part, saves finger tips. I think brushes might damage the o rings or even push dirt past the o rings.

FDNYDANO18
10-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I just use a really soft nylon brush and some white kerosene. Rear wheel off and chain in a low catch plate full of Kerosene and brush lightly... works wonders and no mess. Dry with a soft cloth and apply spray lube.... done.:drink:

IrocRob
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Seems pretty interesting.. I shall await your reviews :P

I'm not going to buy one, just thought it was a decent idea.
I've been using old washcloths for years and I don't think I'll
be changing that anytime soon.

CBRBob
10-02-2008, 10:22 AM
They had the Grunge Brush 10 years ago, a 3 sided adjustable brush, another good/bad idea. Very stiff brushes, very clean chain, very large amount of o-rings stuck in the brush when done. Glad I decided to use it on a chain I was going to replace shortly. Use a good lube on a hot chain and wipe it off after the 1st application to clean it, then reapply.

Trackdaze
10-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Am I missing something?

By the shape of that, the chain would have to pass right through the middle of the can for it to work the way the picture shows.

FDNYDANO18
10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I think you just twist that brush on......

IrocRob
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I think you just twist that brush on......
And that's what makes it an interesting idea.

CBRBob
10-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Then you have to hold the brush, spary the cleaner on and spin the wheel at the same time..... recipie for disaster.

High_Revs_17
10-02-2008, 09:15 PM
W.O.T. in 1st on the rear stand covers the spinning wheel part at least.

Then you have to hold the brush, spary the cleaner on and spin the wheel at the same time..... recipie for disaster.

pillaka
10-03-2008, 12:08 AM
i spray WD40 on my chain then take an old toothbrush and brush it, then I'll wipe it down with a terrycloth towel. Usually let it dry overnight then I lube it up.

Toro_Duke
10-26-2008, 03:58 AM
CBR Bob
Am I missing something?

By the shape of that, the chain would have to pass right through the middle of the can for it to work the way the picture shows.

Use a good lube on a hot chain and wipe it off after the 1st application to clean it, then reapply.

First of all, cbr rob suggsts you relube to clean. bad idea. :doh: Chain lubes have clay binders....after the lubricant is gone, dries up or sacrifices itself, these binders cling to the Triangle of death....where the oring meets the plates. if your brush bristles from the grunge brush were sticking and by passing your orings....dude...thats not a problem with the brush but the o-rings or the amount of thug pressure applied. Bristles noway should be getting past like you said. these orings move and incredible rpm's and must keep the OEM grease inside the pins and rollers.
2) um...yea....don't you own a rear stand? :moocow: of-course you spray the chain first not the other way around ROB! then coil the brush on it and then slowly spin the back tire. I own one of these brushes and frankly, takes me 2 minutes to have a brilliantly spotless chain less deposits,grit, metal & sand particles around my o-ring. I know...I put it under a microscope to see how well it worked. (hey my buddy works in a lab and he wanted to know as did I.)
Old school methods are ancient...step into the new world of good solutions for dirty jobs.
Frankly, I posted this because I was a little miffed that someone said the grunge brush and the tirox brush were a waste of money. Both are good ideas and worth the money. You have to stop shopping at wallyword for your motorcycle stuff :ride: To me the Tirox 360 brush is now a tool in my toolbox and from the review in webikeworld, i think it has solved the cleaning chain issue I have read and searched myself for a better solution then a rag and kero. see the video also http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tirox-motorcycle-chain-cleaner/

Game set and match!!

bondo
10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Here's my chain after 210 miles of NH mud and rocks. No swirly brush needed.

the swirly thing might be good for the backside of the chain since it's hard to reach on the bike...

Why would you need to clean a street bike chain anyway.....
oh yeah. chain lube is sticky and attracts junk. WD40 is loaded with sillycone and makes stuff NOT stick to it.

so +1 on wd40 :)

Toro_Duke
10-26-2008, 10:53 AM
:arrr: And you sent a dirty bike pic because????

yep...wd40 has many uses.....however it does not have silicone !!! and should NOT be used for cleaning a chain...although very good at it....here is what ic will do to your chain. see lower part of this article.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

WD-40 formula. now they could have added some form of silicone during their 40 years of existence but common chemical sense tells me they did not, or didn't need to.
70% low aromatic white spirits ( stoddard solvent ) simular to Kero but not kero.
~20% lubricant base grade ( solvent de-waxed, paraffinic type )
10% of corrosion inhibitor ( some formulations use 2 inhibitors, normally they would only be present at low concentrations, so it's possible that the inhibitor could be something crude like an oil that produces a hard film with synthetic additives ) Parafins most likely
5% of wetting agent ( probably quite low concentration, other the formulation would emulsify some water which could affect theprotective film's durability and performance )
<5% of fragrance.

A street bike chain with or without sticky lube, any kind of lube, will gather fine particles of sand, salt, minerals, glass and metals from the road. So it's best to clean it and your sprockets. roller links and pin links should be cleaned of that grit paste. this grit is the stuff that can wear, cut and loosen o-rings.

holds cup up for FIM photographer

bondo
10-26-2008, 11:46 AM
:arrr: And you sent a dirty bike pic because????

because it's an example of why a few specs of sand on your street bike chain is not going to hurt it.

WD40 has sillycone, not silicone. Sillycone is the name I use for it because it works like silicone. Before a good mud ride, I'll spray the bike down with it so mud doesn't stick as well. Same is true for the chain.

It also is good for the chain after a wet ride (road or dirt) to get rid of the water and protect the metal.... and a rag does the same thing as the swirly brush.

let me get back to waxing my shock spring and lubing my muffler bearings.

Toro_Duke
10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=bondo;91769]because it's an example of why a few specs of sand on your street bike chain is not going to hurt it.

a few specs? :poke: lmao

tommymac
10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
because it's an example of why a few specs of sand on your street bike chain is not going to hurt it.

WD40 has sillycone, not silicone. Sillycone is the name I use for it because it works like silicone. Before a good mud ride, I'll spray the bike down with it so mud doesn't stick as well. Same is true for the chain.

It also is good for the chain after a wet ride (road or dirt) to get rid of the water and protect the metal.... and a rag does the same thing as the swirly brush.

let me get back to waxing my shock spring and lubing my muffler bearings.

Dontr forget to change your blinker fluid too:lol:

Tom

Toro_Duke
10-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Dontr forget to change your blinker fluid too:lol:

Tom

Now that thar's funny....I don't care who you y'ar !!