PDA

View Full Version : Moto GP Vs. Road America

Marker54
06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Moto GP Vs. Road America

Does anybody know the differences between the two circuits.

Trying to broaden my racings horizons...

IrocRob
06-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Moto GP Vs. Road America
Does anybody know the differences between the two circuits.
Trying to broaden my racings horizons...
Ummmm......What?

"motoGP" is a racing class - prototype bikes only, which have nothing to do with production machines....not a race track.

"Road America" is a race track.....You know, like Dover, Darlington, and Charlotte, except it also has RIGHT TURNS!

:ride: :lol: :doh: :P :ohmygod:

Perhaps you would like to rephrase the question?

ffejtable
06-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Hey, at least you are asking the question. :)

I am guessing you saw the races on TV or at least the listings... Like rob said, MotoGP is a class of racing, and is regarded to have the best riders. It is an international circuit.

The Road America races that were on yesterday were AMA Superbike (1000cc) races. Unless the Supersport (600cc) races were on much earlier, those werent on TV for some reason. The 1000cc class sucks to watch, its basically ALWAYS Mladin and Spies in first and second.

MotoGP = prototype "one-of a-kind" bikes. AMA is modifed production bikes.

Marker54
06-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Perhaps you would like to rephrase the question?

I guess I do, I was watching Wind Tunnel last night and when It came to wrapping up all the racing of the weekend, back to back came Moto GP & "Road America." Not sure whether it was the class of bike, or different rules etc. Was just wondering.

So...How many different pro sportbike racing series' are there? Names? And differences between them?

IrocRob
06-09-2008, 09:11 AM
There really are too many to list, but the "Big Three" as far as roadracing goes:

1: FIM Grand Prix which includes 125cc and 250cc two stroke bikes,
as well as 800cc four stroke "motoGP" bikes. www.motogp.com
These are strictly racing bikes, nothing to do with street machines.

2: World Superbike which is a class of bikes based on production bikes
but with extensive modifications allowed. Also has multiple classes
such as World SuperSport, SuperStock 1000 and SuperStock 600
Each class has it's own set of rules regarding allowable modifications.
World Superbike also is a "Spec Tire" series, everyone has access
to the same tires. http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/index.php

3: AMA PRO Racing - Also has multiple classes like World Superbike, and was
recently purchased by the Daytona Motorsports Group, so the rules at the
moment are all up in the air. www.amaproracing.com

opinion914
06-11-2008, 07:38 AM
WSBK being the most entertaining.

fire83tug
06-11-2008, 07:53 AM
The 1000cc class sucks to watch, its basically ALWAYS Mladin and Spies in first and second.

Yup. Although last week Jamie Hacking was acually able to stay with them on the Kawi for a while. Looked like he was even going to make a race of it for a few laps. There is hope. Most of the TV coverage is for the race for places 4-7 since the top 2 are always Suzuki.

SAXON117
06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
WSBK being the most entertaining.

+1 great year for WSBK!

CBRBob
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
We wanted change in the AMA format because they bungled so many races with extremely poor judgement and half-assed, inconsistent rule enforcement. Unfortunately it was purchased by DMG which will try and make it more nascar like. Read, everything is the same with a different paint job. The idea being able to bring more $ into the races, more spectators, tv coverage(through sponsorship) etc, which sounds well and all. Unfortunately most of the AMA paddock is pissed and contemplating abandoning the DMG owned AMA series. Many of the top riders want to go to WSBK and some major teams are looking at not competing next year. I guess that is what DMG wants, if most leave, there will only be one team left, hence all the bikes will be the same........?

SAXON117
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM
We wanted change in the AMA format because they bungled so many races with extremely poor judgement and half-assed, inconsistent rule enforcement. Unfortunately it was purchased by DMG which will try and make it more nascar like. Read, everything is the same with a different paint job. The idea being able to bring more $ into the races, more spectators, tv coverage(through sponsorship) etc, which sounds well and all. Unfortunately most of the AMA paddock is pissed and contemplating abandoning the DMG owned AMA series. Many of the top riders want to go to WSBK and some major teams are looking at not competing next year. I guess that is what DMG wants, if most leave, there will only be one team left, hence all the bikes will be the same........?

sad but true:(