PDA

View Full Version : Internet Service Providers

Kennedy
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I will be moving to Hudson County NJ very soon. I have been looking into an Internet Service Provider and was wondering which ones some people liked and didn't like.

So far I have been looking into

Verizon FIOS(Which I have read nightmare stories on customer service and billing)

Comcast

Netzero

Earthlink

I've also been considering buying a wireless plan from verizon for internet as well. Not quite sure yet.

I don't have any real experience with this stuff so who do you guys use and have the best luck with?

jcblitz
06-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I have FIOS and recommend it 100%. Can you link me to some of the issues people are having? I've never had any issues with them beyond the router being a piece of crap and they offered to send me another one as long as I send the original one back. It turned out I didn't need to use their router, it was just a free thing they offer so I used mine instead.

Kennedy
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I have FIOS and recommend it 100%. Can you link me to some of the issues people are having? I've never had any issues with them beyond the router being a piece of crap and they offered to send me another one as long as I send the original one back. It turned out I didn't need to use their router, it was just a free thing they offer so I used mine instead.

Sure its been a couple of cases but nothing that is really pushing me the other way. It is my top choice at the moment to be honest. Which connection do you currently have and is it as fast as everyone says?

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q108-our-verizon-fios-customer-service-nightmare/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/330/RipOff0330370.htm

Thats just two but they seem like single cases.

John712
06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Jersey City, Bayonne, Hoboken, Seacaucus.?

Marker54
06-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Is IO a choice for you?
I started using it when I moved in September, and have no problems at all. Cable internet that flies, HD is beautiful (42" Plasma), DVR is the best, and though I don't use it all that often...the phone works when I pick it up. $110/ month.

CBRBob
06-05-2008, 09:11 AM
No probs here with FIOS.

RCM78
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I cant wait for FIOS!!!!!

I dont have any problems with IO but I've seen FIOS and the HD picture quality is better...

tommymac
06-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I cant wait for FIOS!!!!!

I dont have any problems with IO but I've seen FIOS and the HD picture quality is better...

Tell jimmy to get on that for you:roflmao:

Tom

Kennedy
06-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Jersey City, Bayonne, Hoboken, Seacaucus.?

Yep.

IO? I don't think it is avaliable in the area I'm going to be moving to.

I don't really need cable I won't have the time for it but fast internet is a must.

JimRBlue
06-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I've had comcast in the past when i lived out east and never had any issues with them. Decent speeds and no down time.

Kennedy
06-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I've had comcast in the past when i lived out east and never had any issues with them. Decent speeds and no down time.

Top Choice right now is between FIOS and Comcast. Leaning towards FIOS

Or maybe something like this from verizon

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=planFirst&action=viewPlanList&sortOption=priceSort&typeId=5&subTypeId=13&catId=409

Sue
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM

Yea, but now we (Jim & I) are patiently waiting for Fios to become available for the house to change over to them. :D

Marker54
06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Side note: my guitar teacher had Fios for 1 week and had it all switched back to cable...excessive fees, horrible customer service, unnoticable changes.

May just be an isolated case.:huh:

Kennedy
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Side note: my guitar teacher had Fios for 1 week and had it all switched back to cable...excessive fees, horrible customer service, unnoticable changes.

May just be an isolated case.:huh:

That is exactly some the stuff I have been reading about Pete. Maybe its just a few isolated cases here and there. :huh:

jcblitz
06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Sure its been a couple of cases but nothing that is really pushing me the other way. It is my top choice at the moment to be honest. Which connection do you currently have and is it as fast as everyone says?

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q108-our-verizon-fios-customer-service-nightmare/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/330/RipOff0330370.htm

Thats just two but they seem like single cases.

I have the 15 Mbps/2 Mbps and it's as fast as it says. It looks like the prices went up, I'm paying 44.95. I only have my internet through them, I'm using vonage for phone and DirectTV for TV.

Kennedy
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I have the 15 Mbps/2 Mbps and it's as fast as it says. It looks like the prices went up, I'm paying 44.95. I only have my internet through them, I'm using vonage for phone and DirectTV for TV.

Cool I'll probably use FIOS. I'm not really sure how fast is fast I'm just used to what I have do you have anything to compare it to? I probably don't need the 30/5 whatever it is that must be crazy.

jcblitz
06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Cool I'll probably use FIOS. I'm not really sure how fast is fast I'm just used to what I have do you have anything to compare it to? I probably don't need the 30/5 whatever it is that must be crazy.

The 15m download is insanely fast. But for normal web browsing, you won't notice a difference between a 3m cable modem and a 15m FIOS. I only notice a difference when I download large files, like over 50megs. When I signed up there was only a $5 difference between the two lowest plans, which were 15m and 3m at the time. So for $5 more a month I got 5x the speed. It was a no brainer. But the 5m plan they're offering now would be plenty considering it's a $10 difference. You can always upgrade at any time, so I would give the 5m plan a try first, it should be plenty fast.

Kennedy
06-05-2008, 10:22 PM
The 15m download is insanely fast. But for normal web browsing, you won't notice a difference between a 3m cable modem and a 15m FIOS. I only notice a difference when I download large files, like over 50megs. When I signed up there was only a $5 difference between the two lowest plans, which were 15m and 3m at the time. So for $5 more a month I got 5x the speed. It was a no brainer. But the 5m plan they're offering now would be plenty considering it's a $10 difference. You can always upgrade at any time, so I would give the 5m plan a try first, it should be plenty fast.

Thanks Blitz you have given me a piece of mind. I think I will be going with FIOS once I move in... How long did installation and what not take?

jcblitz
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Blitz you have given me a piece of mind. I think I will be going with FIOS once I move in... How long did installation and what not take?

It took a few hours of actual installation, mostly running wires from outside in. The guy did a good job (unlike the DirectTV fuck ups) and ran all the wires discreetly, mounted the battery backup and router nicely. Walked me through a setup process thing to sign up for an account and verify everything was working.

Kennedy
06-06-2008, 09:41 AM
It took a few hours of actual installation, mostly running wires from outside in. The guy did a good job (unlike the DirectTV fuck ups) and ran all the wires discreetly, mounted the battery backup and router nicely. Walked me through a setup process thing to sign up for an account and verify everything was working.

Did they run wires through the walls if you didn't have cable jacks already?

jcblitz
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Did they run wires through the walls if you didn't have cable jacks already?

I don't know, I didn't get cable service, only the internet. The guy ran a line to my laundry room and installed a surface mounted CAT-5 jack for me that came off their proprietary system so I could hook into it. That jack connects to my wireless router, which also lives in the laundry room. That's all that I needed to have done.

jcblitz
06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
O, and I just had my first "problem" with FIOS. It's nothing major and it took a little arm twisting but I got what I wanted. Apparently my bill just went up to $53.08 from $44.95, and it should have actually gone up to $60.99 because I'm out of contract and technically on a month/month basis. So I called to see if I could get it moved back down to $44.95 because I have a few other competitors I can use that are in the low 40's for a similar service (they're between 5m - 12m which is still plenty fast) and that's a decent savings.

So the first woman said there was nothing she could do and if I wanted to talk to her supervisor, she'd transfer me. So I said ok and off I went. While on hold I did some quick math and came up with logic, and it worked. I'm back at my old price. So CBR Bob, if you hit the same thing, try this:

I used to pay $44.95
Now they want $53.08 ($8.13 difference, which includes taxes)
But I "should' be paying $60.99 ($16.04 difference)

If I leave, you get $0. Or if you want to think about it this way, -$539.40 because I will sign up with a competitor (I need internet service).

But if I stay with you at $44.95 (and I will stay), you get $539.40.

So for a $60 credit a year, you'll get $539.40. So $60 gets you $539.40.

She agreed it made sense to give me that $60. If I wanted to stay exactly the same, I should have asked for $97.56 to cover the taxes, but I'll support this fine country, the United States of America and pay my fair share.

Kennedy
06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
See nothing a little math can't solve. I'll still be paying the new price though :(

Thanks for the help!

jcblitz
07-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I just had to call FIOS support twice today to release my IP address so I could swap routers (I physically broke mine :( ), both times spoke to someone (and someone local) in under 3 minutes. Their support is still the best out of any major company I've had to deal with.

Kennedy
07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah I have FIOS it rocks!