PDA

View Full Version : Ok ladies

Twistedneedles
05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey ladies! Im new to the sportbike scene and I had a few questions that i was hoping that soe of you may be able to answer. My husband recently got into bikes and its something that I have wanted to do for quite a while. I am not the type to always be on the back of his though and want one of my own really badly. Being short in stature (5'3) his bike cant be lowered enough for me to learn on (VFR Interceptor) so, I was wondering what bikes would be best for someone like me. I hae gotten mixed reviews on the Katana, CBR 600 RR, and the R1. So if any of you have input for me I would grealty appreciate it! Thanks!

HondaGalToo
05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
For a new rider with little to no experience, none of the above, seriously. And not because of your height or gender, either. I'd give the same advice to any new rider.

First bike choices (assuming you want a sportbike as opposed to a cruiser): Kawasaki Ninja 250 (the new one is really sharp-looking), or the Ninja 500. Suzuki GS500. Suzuki SV650. Get a used bike, as you'll drop it during the learning process. Do NOT even think about starting on a 1000cc. Even the new generation 600s are too much for a new rider, IMHO. If anyone tells you differently, it's because they lack the experience to know any better. You'll always hear stories about how someone started on a 1000 and they're fine, yada, yada. They got lucky.

Take the MSF course, too!

And, welcome!!! :) :ride:

BadKitty
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
My Suzuki SV650 was my first bike and here i am 7 years later still loving it and nowhere NEAR riding beyond my bike's capabilities yet! I HIGHLY recommend the SV for a first bike, but if it's too much, the new Ninja 250's are HOTTTTT! Good luck! And YES...PLEASE take the MSF course!

Barbi
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm 5'9" so I can't help you there, but I know several shawty's that ride. How about a Kawi ZZR or a Honda F4i

njracer
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
SV650......no need to look at anything else.

FWIW, my wife with ZERO riding under her belt started on an SV and IMO was the best bike to start on.

gsxryager024
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I would def go with the hayabusa 1) It seems every one who is getting there first bike gets one, So it must be good! 2) it seems that BC of its weight and stature its not the easiest bike to learn on but it just makes you better when you do get on a lighter bike. 3) your not cool unless you get the fastest bike ever made! Who cares about turning when you can get swing arms the size of an elephants leg to go 200mph in a straight line! In the end its all about looking cool!

HondaGalToo
05-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Here's making sure you get that the above post suggesting a Hayabusa is sarcasm. Get the SV650. I learned on an '82 Yamaha XS650, and the SV is the comparable bike today, only it's better!

CBRBob
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Take the MSF class, IN has a good program!

Shelly
06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Twisted :)

I'm also petite (5'0") and my first bike was a used Kawi 250. It was an '00 and there was no way to lower it so I tippy toed for quite awhile while learning to ride. Although I had taken the MSF before getting my bike and riding it I found it hard to turn. Not sure if the newer ones are easier or if you still have to really throw it into the turns? It did the job though, like they say sometimes the harder it is...the more you learn and easier next time around.

After upgrading and now having a '05 GSX 600 I realize although the 250 was "slower" and harder to manuever it was a great learning bike, whatever way you go...I'd recommend buying used, espec. to learn on; you will most likely drop it at some point, lose your balance...etc. Hope this helps :)

Shel