PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone providers

carl_g
05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I have had Verizon for ever..I like the service but I think I want a change. I am considering AT&T and I guess T-Mobile also... What does everyone have and more importantly are you happy with your current cell service?

Ant
05-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I have had Verizon for ever..I like the service but I think I want a change. I am considering AT&T and I guess T-Mobile also... What does everyone have and more importantly are you happy with your current cell service?

Go with T Mobile...worse comes to worse just keep calling cakes until they do something.

Marker54
05-20-2008, 10:14 PM
T-mobile, Gets a ton of bashing from others. But I've had it 9 years now and have never had a problem. BTW, I'm in CNJ.

Cakes206
05-20-2008, 10:46 PM
T-mobile, Gets a ton of bashing from others. But I've had it 9 years now and have never had a problem. BTW, I'm in CNJ.
Damn, you go back into the Omnipoint days...you're a brave man lol.

Brian78
05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
i started out with omnipoint, the pioneers in sim card usage (i think)

carl_g
05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
wow a lot of people here rock t-Mobile..

Marker54
05-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Damn, you go back into the Omnipoint days...you're a brave man lol.

yeah, my plan is pretty much unlimited usage on everything for only $50.99/ month. Same plan with Verizon would cost me close to $90/ month as of last year when I shopped around. Plus, it's a one year contract, so every year they send me a new phone to stay one more year. ...it took a lot of threatening over the years to get (just about) unlimited everything. ;)

njf4i
05-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Well i have been a verizon, att&t (cingular), and t-mobile customer. There all pretty much the same.

I am currently with t-mobile (had them for about a year now) and i am very happy with my service. I use the myfaves plan with a blackberry server plan. The prices are really good and the service has gotten a lot better since i had them 4 years ago.

tommymac
05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
I am with verizon and will stick with them, gotta keep jimmy working here on LI:roflmao:

Tom

ffejtable
05-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I am currently with Vzw. Had Cingular/AT&T for years (I think they were previously Comcast and CellOne)... I was mostly happy with the service, although coverage at work wasnt all that great. After the AT&T/Cingular merger my coverage at home was non existant, and that was the first time I had to really deal with customer service and it was horrible. They kept blaming the phone and trying to lock me into a new contract. Sigh.

Switched to Vzw almost 3 years ago and coverage is much better for me than Cingular ever was. It was good enough to drop my landline, which I would have never considered with Cingular. Pricing/minutes are similar but no rollover hurts on those months I am jobless and making lots of daytime calls.

Had an ex with Tmobile, and coverage was spotty and call quality was horrible. The phone was a cheap Panasonic, so that may have been most of the problem.

Ultimately you need your phone to make calls. Make sure whatever you get works in the 2 places you spend most of your time (work & home).

jcblitz
05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I've had verizon for years and the service was good. I had to switch to AT&T last year when I got my iPhone and the reception is not as good (not sure if it's the actual phone or the carrier). But I get service where you would expect, but in spots where it's questionable, I definitely do not while some other people, verizon people mostly, do. Your best bet is to talk to co-workers from the same area.

carl_g
05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I've had verizon for years and the service was good. I had to switch to AT&T last year when I got my iPhone and the reception is not as good (not sure if it's the actual phone or the carrier). But I get service where you would expect, but in spots where it's questionable, I definitely do not while some other people, verizon people mostly, do. Your best bet is to talk to co-workers from the same area.
Do you like your iphone? That is basically why I am asking. I would like to go to an iphone and in order to do that I need to move to AT&T. I could also just go to a blackberry.. I dunno...

GinoE
05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
omipoint/motorola
verizon/nokia
at&t/nokia, palm
cingular/palm
at&t/palm

satisfied with at&t palm phone w/ multi-freq (works all over the earth)

Mike295
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I alwys think about switcing to another carrier but i kinda feel they are all the same. Been with verizon better then cingular/att, i had that years ago and it was fantastic for droping calls. It was so good i have been known to "fake call brake up" ex girlfriends... hahaha your.. b--- r pp... all .. b..r ception !!! hahahaha

NYCSTRIPES
05-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Just don't get sprint, they suck. I have verizon now and I am quite happy with the service.
Ken

ronin_01r1
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
+1 SPRINT SUCKS, esp their CS. I paid for their phone replacement plan. When my $300+ phone broke, they said they took that one out of their lineup and replaced it with a $90 model. What a ripoff.

I've had T-Mobile for 5+ satisfied years. I have a 3 line family plan with unlimited data for my Blackberry for about $90 a month.

njf4i
05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Do you like your iphone? That is basically why I am asking. I would like to go to an iphone and in order to do that I need to move to AT&T. I could also just go to a blackberry.. I dunno...

Well if you want a blackberry (which in my opinion is so the way to go) all the carriers now have the blackberry 83xx Curve. Also the BB 9000 aka bold is dropping in june for at&t and sept for t-mobile (with the rumored 3g network).

I personally haven't owned a iphone, but i haven't heard a lot of good things. I love my curve especially with the wifi at home/hot spots and edge network through t-mobile.

carl_g
05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Well if you want a blackberry (which in my opinion is so the way to go) all the carriers now have the blackberry 83xx Curve. Also the BB 9000 aka bold is dropping in june for at&t and sept for t-mobile (with the rumored 3g network).

I personally haven't owned a iphone, but i haven't heard a lot of good things. I love my curve especially with the wifi at home/hot spots and edge network through t-mobile. yeah for me the curve is too big.. If I were to get any blackberry it would be the pearl or that new bold one.
What have you heard about the iphones that is bad? I know they cost a lot but I am ok with that.

Sue
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
I have always had Verizon and thankfully have never had any problems with them.

Cakes206
05-21-2008, 03:09 PM
yeah for me the curve is too big.
If you think the curve is to big, don't get the iPhone lol.

carl_g
05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
If you think the curve is to big, don't get the iPhone lol.
I am willing to sacrifice the size for the iphone

njf4i
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I am willing to sacrifice the size for the iphone

The main things that i heard were the problems with the mail functions, the not long battery life, and people that had just stupid problems with them.

But i've only owned the BB curve so i couldn't tell you exactly. But if you think the curve is to big, then don't expect the bold to be any smaller.

Here is a nice video comparing the Iphone vs the new Blackberry Bold:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/05/21/iphone-vs-blackberry-bold/

What you need to do is wait for the rumored Blackberry Touch Screen THUNDER:

http://crackberry.com/files/u3/blackberrythunder.jpg

njf4i
05-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh and one more rumored product for t-mobile. The new blackberry "kickstart" is rumored to hit tmobile by august.

http://crackberry.com/files/u3/kickstartblackberry1.jpg

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-kickstart-glimpse-rims-future

carl_g
05-21-2008, 05:20 PM
The main things that i heard were the problems with the mail functions, the not long battery life, and people that had just stupid problems with them.

But i've only owned the BB curve so i couldn't tell you exactly. But if you think the curve is to big, then don't expect the bold to be any smaller.

Here is a nice video comparing the Iphone vs the new Blackberry Bold:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/05/21/iphone-vs-blackberry-bold/

What you need to do is wait for the rumored Blackberry Touch Screen THUNDER:

http://crackberry.com/files/u3/blackberrythunder.jpg
This is a cool link thanks that blackberry is still a little porky and less screen space then the iphone.

Ant
05-21-2008, 06:37 PM
nerds.

Barbi
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I've started out with AT&T then it turned into BellSouth, then it was Cingular, now it is AT&T again. There is a new (to my area) MetroPCS that is getting rave reviews. Then again, come call it MetroPOS. :lol: Do you guys have it up there?

CORNBREAD
05-28-2008, 04:57 AM
yeah for me the curve is too big.. but I am ok with that.

:take_it::take_it::take_it:

Seriously though at&t

jcblitz
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM

I've had no problems with email and I have 5 different accounts hooked up to it using 3 different protocols. I can get about 3-4 days out of a full charged battery, which is what I would expect.

The problems I have are reception issues, but I don't know if that's just AT&T, where I'm at, or the phone itself. Though I did have it lock up on my 3 times in the 10 months I've owned it. The edge network internet sucks bad, most of the time when I needed it, it didn't work, the page just sat there trying to load. But it works fine when on WiFi.

If I had to choose again, I don't think I would buy it. But I've only come to that conclusion recently, if I would use more of it, like as a planner and put notes on it, I probably would have a different opinion. I think it's a good product, especially if you want a new iPod and phone at the same time, but in terms of a "power user", I just don't use it that much. It had a lot of potential when people first started to jailbreak them, I could remote into my servers and do stuff, but since Apple decided that wasn't cool and squashed that, I've pretty much lost interest in the stock functionality.

SilverDragon
05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm surprised to hear bad things about Sprint. I switched from t-mobile to Sprint, not because t-mo was bad, but because I wanted a phone they didn't have. My internet access with sprint is the best I've ever had. The only place I'm ever low on signal is this Subway (deli) where their radio signal is always staticky! There has to be something going on over there in Edison on Talmadge road!