PDA

View Full Version : Passport Question

CORNBREAD
05-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Guys i'm taking a weeks vacation in July to either Vegas or San Fransisco.
Question is do i need a passport? Currently i do not have one and I was born in another country. (France).

Thanks,

Lucian:doh:

Cakes206
05-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Whats your status now? US citizen? Work visa?

CORNBREAD
05-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Hey Cakes206.

I was born in France. I came here in 1976 @ the ripe old age of 1.

I have dual citizenship. I became a U.S citizen in 1993.

Never had a passport because I'm afraid to fly but now my fiancee wants to see Vegas or Frisco so I have to obey.

Cakes206
05-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Cool deal, you're a citizen and traveling within the country, you'll be fine. Picture ID like a DL is fine. Going forward its good to have a passport though, you'll need it if you want to take a cruise or a drive into Canada.

CORNBREAD
05-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Cool deal, you're a citizen and traveling within the country, you'll be fine. Picture ID like a DL is fine. Going forward its good to have a passport though, you'll need it if you want to take a cruise or a drive into Canada.

Greatly appreciated Cakes206.

I will surely purchase a passport sometime this year.

Again, thanks for the quick and helpful response.:ride:

-Lucian-

CBRBob
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Just so yoall know, the passport paperwork usually requires that you surrender your (birth certificate etc.) until you get the passport back. So realise you won't have that paperwork for a period of time.

jcblitz
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Just so yoall know, the passport paperwork usually requires that you surrender your (birth certificate etc.) until you get the passport back. So realise you won't have that paperwork for a period of time.

Not only that, it comes back in two different envelopes. That was a scary 5 minutes getting my passport back without any of the documents I sent in.

It only took about 2 weeks to get my password renewed. But I'm also a tax paying, flag waving, truck drivin`, don't tread on me American citizen. I have no idea how long it would take them to process an application with snail grease on it and wrapped in a white flag. :peep:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Cakes206
05-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Not only that, it comes back in two different envelopes. That was a scary 5 minutes getting my passport back without any of the documents I sent in.
Really, all my stuff was in one envelope.

jcblitz
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Really, all my stuff was in one envelope.

I received my new passport in one envelope and a few days later received my old passport and the other documents together. Mine was expidited and done via mail by sending in my old passport.

Not that this is necessarily reliable, but http://www.wikihow.com/Renew-a-U.S.-Passport-With-Form-Ds-82

22. Passport renewal processing time is four to six weeks. You will (should) receive your new and old passports in separate envelopes. If you provide an email address on your application, the passport agency will contact you through email if there are any issues with your renewal application.

FDNYDANO18
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Flying from NJ to anywhere in the continental US will not require any passport from anyone.... This is a "domestic" flight.