PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Tire has 1 day on it at Summit Main. Started the day at 30 psi hot.

Is it the suspension or me? :lol:

Mike295
05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
ok thats some weird ass wear. That looks to me like suspension. I dont know shit but it looks to me the ride hight has something to do with it. seems to be spining up when you are upright.

NYCSTRIPES
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Looks to be a rear suspension issue to me as well. I don't know what the weather was like for you on Monday but the pressure also seems a bit low. I run Metzeler Racetecs at 32PSI cold and they were terrific all season except in colder weather where I would drop them to 30PSI cold.

I don't know what happened to this website, but maybe its down for maintenance.
Catalyst Reaction. Great pictures of tire wear and the probable causes.
www.feelthetrack.com

wcrbikemike
05-07-2008, 11:20 AM
As mentioned it is most likley suspension. I have done that to two tires already this season. One at Summit Main and the other at VIR Full. Nedless to say my suspension is off the bike and getting a full overhaul as we speak. You may be sprung to soft and have the rebound set to fast. Were you getting the bike dancing around under you on high speed turns?

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Looks to be a rear suspension issue to me as well. I don't know what the weather was like for you on Monday but the pressure also seems a bit low.

Ken... this was at the end of last season. Just trying to decide if I need to upgrade the suspension. The 30 psi hot is what I hear Pirelli suggests.

Were you getting the bike dancing around under you on high speed turns?

Only thing noticeable was that I was getting a lot of tire spin coming out of turn 9.

Ripp53
05-07-2008, 11:31 AM
use to work for a big tire man. and you never check air presure hot. thats way to low when it's cold. you might have miss heard i could beleave 30 cold.

Cakes206
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
use to work for a big tire man. and you never check air presure hot. thats way to low when it's cold. you might have miss heard i could beleave 30 cold.
Pirelli is saying to set the psi hot now, past 2 years or so(which I still don't get but oh well.)

carl_g
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Nice chicken strips james! :lol:

Ripp53
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Pirelli is saying to set the psi hot now, past 2 years or so(which I still don't get but oh well.)

kind of stupid because yourout on the track then you have to come in and ajust your tire presure then go back out.if they r says 30 out they must be setting it at 23 to 25 psi cold.

Chris
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
The track had fresh pavemant last year,everyones tires looked like that.

RCM78
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
kind of stupid because yourout on the track then you have to come in and ajust your tire presure then go back out.if they r says 30 out they must be setting it at 23 to 25 psi cold.

Not if your using warmers...

RCM78
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Jimmy, It may be suspension but most likely it's your throttle hand.

Looks like your picking the bike up off the corners and wacking the throttle open. Try to crack the throttle open and roll it open throughout the corner.

My tires used to look like that. I refined my throttle application and they now look smooth.

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Looks like your picking the bike up off the corners and wacking the throttle open. Try to crack the throttle open and roll it open throughout the corner.

My tires used to look like that. I refined my throttle application and they now look smooth.

I am spinning the tire so that is probably the case. I've had that problem in the past but thought I cured it. I'll have to make more of an effort to roll on smoother... and earlier!

NYCSTRIPES
05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Jim
Have a look at the pics on this site. Dan found it last year from a vendor at the bike show.
Just a guess but the tire looks like a split between hot tearing and shock spring tearing.
Hopefully this may help sort things out.
http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

carl_g
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Jim
Have a look at the pics on this site. Dan found it last year from a vendor at the bike show.
Just a guess but the tire looks like a split between hot tearing and shock spring tearing.
Hopefully this may help sort things out.
http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

Nice website!
If you look at them closely and compare to Jimmy's tire none of them really match.
Both cold tear and shock spring tear have the tears running vertically on the tire. Jimmy's tire shows it balling up in a horizontal pattern.

NYCSTRIPES
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
thats why I think there is the possibility of two issues going on at the same time. Worth looking into. At the wost case, might be time for a rear shock adjustment and maybe some fresh fluid if the problem persists.

Ken

Ant
05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
i think you need more rebound based on the wavy pattern. But the feathering is normal I think since it was new pavement. I had the same feathering but it was a smooth band not wavy like yours.

pillaka
05-14-2008, 11:50 PM
That happened to me at summit, I first noticed when I was at main in end of march, it it was kinda cold that day which didn't help much. Tires got ripped up pretty good. Then I was at the WERA races back in april, it was 80 outside and sunny, during practice the tire got ripped apart even more in kinda a saw blade pattern similar to your picture. While riding coming out the higher speed turns I was feeling the rear shock compress, then rebound a little too quick which made the bike a little squirrly but also had to put a lot of stress on the tire. I added 3 clicks of high speed compression and took out a click of rebound and threw on a new rear tire for the hell of it. Bike felt tremendously better when I did the HW solo race, and the new tire showed no signs of abnormal wear whatsoever.

lateapex
05-15-2008, 01:54 PM

+1 Your wait for the bike to more upright and are grabbing a hand full of throttle. As Ralph said get in the gas smoother and sooner. The tire will show more even ware. Ralph wore a tire out at Pocono East last time we were there and the tire has no tread at all from the edge to the middle. It was a beautiful sight.

Cakes206
06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
With the blistering heat I opt to run green/green set up, was able to snag a green front from the Pirelli guy before he left the wera event. For shits n giggles I went back to 30/30 cold pressures. Tires felt the same as the 30/30 hot but seem to wear much better...and this is Summit we're talkin about...last time I was there my SC Pros were torn up running 30/30 hot(which is probably around 25 cold.)

NYCSTRIPES
06-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Joe
FWIW, I think those tire pressures are a tad low. I ran the Metzler Racetecs at 32/32 cold for two seasons with all of the grip I expected and very predictable and even wear.
30/30 cold is probably going to be a much better pressure for you to run with than the 25/25 you might have been runing.

ronin_01r1
06-11-2008, 08:50 AM
wow, that is some crazy ass wear!!