PDA

View Full Version : My next project

SPRHK
04-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Here it is, a 1986 Yamaha SRX600. Due to a really bad re-paint by a guy I know, it is out to get new paint.And I am doing a few mods as well.
Here are the before pics. TAKE NOTE: The bike is just mocked up here,hence the spacing between tank and frame.
The scheme?? 02-03 Yamaha R1 blue.....with a vintage Yamaha racing stripe over fender,tank,tail section. In the one pic is a crude mock of the stripe.
Bike is being painted by JZRacecolor. I will post up finish pics when I get it back.

jcblitz
04-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I looks pretty cool to me. How much did you pick that up for?

SPRHK
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I actually owned this bike for 10-12 years now. My dad bought it new in 88 and I traded him one of my bikes for this one. I was in the process of redoing the whole bike to give back to him, when he passed away. I havent messed with it since. He would have hated the idea of it just sitting there, so out it comes, to be redone and ridden.

High_Revs_17
04-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Nice cafe in the works, good luck with it.

IrocRob
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Looks good! - Are you going to run the stripe all the way
across the tank, or stop it at the gas cap?
How about running it across the front fender as well?

Where is JZRaceColor located? I haven't heard their name before....

SPRHK
04-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Looks good! - Are you going to run the stripe all the way
across the tank, or stop it at the gas cap?
How about running it across the front fender as well?

Where is JZRaceColor located? I haven't heard their name before....

The stripe will be on the fender,all the way down the tank,and across the tail. The stripe is gonna be Gun metal/ brushed aluminum instead of black/ white. This will tie in the color of the frame and side covers.. JZRacecolors is out by Emmaus PA.

NGB
04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
After she's all done make sure ya don't let anyone ride on a road trip.:whistle: :beat:

SPRHK
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Especially my BRO-IN- LAW!!!!!! :ohmygod: :doh: :nod2:

SPRHK
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Update::::
I got paint work back and did a quick mock up. The scheme changed slightly. The blue is lighter than R1 Blue and the stripe has a little deviation from an actual Yamaha racing stripe. What do you think? I will post more pics after I resize them.

GIX750
03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
looks good, but you're stil gay.

SPRHK
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
more pics

Respect_My_Authorita
03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
oh man. great paint job.

John712
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
damn dude. that looks great!

who did the paint? JZ.?

SPRHK
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
yeah, fukker shines like a new penny!

DSH
03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
whoa looks great man

SAXON117
03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
hurry up and get her together! So we can go carving on the singles:ride:

SPRHK
03-26-2009, 09:07 AM
In the past 2 days, I ordered Woodcraft clip ons, Works Performance Suspension, and fork / dust seals for it. Slowly...............:waiting:

SPRHK
04-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Ok, so today I did a little work to her. I stripped her down, upgraded the stem brgs to tapered roller brgs, new fork seaks, dust seals, clip ons, and got the airbox out for modification and the rearend apart and ready for my new suspension arriving monday!

JimRBlue
04-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Looking real nice!! Great work!

SPRHK
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Works Performance shocks and my new battery showed up today, my new grips, mirrors and tires should be here tomorrow. Still debating on the stainless brake lines though.....blue or clear??? What is your opinion? I am not looking for a "pimped out " look, I am looking for a clean, classic look.

SAXON117
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
CLEAR! and your shop is a mess!

SPRHK
04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, itis either clean it up or work on the bike..... You keep yelling at me to finish the bike soo. I will be posting more pics tonight. I have to modify the airbox, mount the new shocks (nicey nice!!) and rerun the electrical. New sneaks coming tomorrow. Fukkers started to dryrot from sitting!

SAXON117
04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Well, itis either clean it up or work on the bike..... You keep yelling at me to finish the bike soo. I will be posting more pics tonight. I have to modify the airbox, mount the new shocks (nicey nice!!) and rerun the electrical. New sneaks coming tomorrow. Fukkers started to dryrot from sitting!

well it has been sitting for a spell. its looking real good!

SPRHK
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks Bro....

JimRBlue
04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Clear!

SPRHK
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Clear!

Well, clear it is I guess, My wife, brother, brother in law and my parnter at work , and Jim all aggree on clear. Not one blue vote.

NGB
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
i dont see anything protecting that fender yet! looking good!

SPRHK
04-08-2009, 07:10 AM
So, it is time for an update. I got my new tires in yesterday and I mounted &balanced the rear one last night. I installed the battery and did a bunch of clean up on the rear wheel and swing arm area. I mounted the new rear shocks. I like them alot. Hopefully they will be adequate for my fat ass. Grips and mirros came in, but I have to have the bars on my clip ons machined out to fit the bar ends. GIX750 said his dad will take care of it for me. Progress has been a little slow, but we are still plugging along. Oh yeah, and the Galfer 2 line kit for the front brakes should arrive any day now. Pics will follow soon. I will probably post them up tonight.

SAXON117
04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
PIX?:arrr:

SPRHK
04-08-2009, 09:21 PM
PIX?:arrr:

Ok fine.... here are some pics from this evening. They arent the best, but they show progress up till last night

For those of you who do not know, please take into consideration that this machine is 23 years old. I am not repainting everything, but detailing the shit out of it, doing some upgrades,Vintage- with some modern flare, but not too much.

SPRHK
04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
And a few more....

SPRHK
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
even though the grips are nice, I dont think they go with the plan..... Off to WCW tomorrow to pick up another set and my galfer SS brake lines.

Respect_My_Authorita
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
coming along nice chris.

NGB
04-08-2009, 11:04 PM
must agree with ya on the grips

SAXON117
04-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Those AVON's look pretty nice, and the grips....... you got to change them out

SPRHK
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
i know, i know..... I am getting the other grips today on my way home from work. Here is the mirror of choice. This isn't my bike , just as pic of the mirrors. Tonight, I have toi pull off the bars so Damians dad can mill out the ends so they can fit. I hope to hae the rear end rapped up tonight, except for chopping the tail and the new directional brackets, if I am lucky, I will accomplish on Saturday.

SPRHK
04-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Alrighty then, here we are, 1 week into working on this project and this is where we stand. Thanks to Damian's (GIX750) dad, he machined out the end of my clip ons so I can use my new mirrors. I got my new grips, getting rid of set #1 for the ones installed now, which were what I wanted but couldnt find in the right length to start with. So bars, mirrors and grips installed last night, along with the carbs and my new front tire. Today, I made up and painted new directional brackets, made up a license plate bracket, which by the way, is alot more complicated than it looks, and chopped the ass off the rear fender. I also removed, stripped, and repainted the muffler bracket. Here's a couple of pics to bring us up to date. Oh, and my Galfer brake lines still didnt arrive yet. Hopefully Tuesday, so I can install the front brake system. I ordered the new air filters today.

SPRHK
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah, and thanks to my bro-in law BOB (NGB) for helping out the other night detailing

SAXON117
04-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Looking good man!:nod2:

JimRBlue
04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Looking quite nice!

NGB
04-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah, and thanks to my bro-in law BOB (NGB) for helping out the other night detailinganytime man,just as excited as you are to see that baby on the road.I got a bust week working 2 doubles,mon and thurs but i'll see what nite i can come up and maybe finish her up

GIX750
04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
anytime man,just as excited as you are to see that baby on the road.I got a bust week working 2 doubles,mon and thurs but i'll see what nite i can come up and maybe finish her up

Ya anytime except when you owe me a detail for 2 YEARS!! jerkoff

SAXON117
04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Ya anytime except when you owe me a detail for 2 YEARS!! jerkoff

Why are you always so angery?:lol:

GIX750
04-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Why are you always so angery?:lol:

I think it has somethin to do with bein short. Like pent up rage or somethin.

SPRHK
04-13-2009, 10:10 PM
here's a few pics of tonites achievements. I finished up the tail, and fitted the tank. I still need to install fuel lines and air filters, but i just couldnt resist seeing it together.....

SPRHK
04-16-2009, 03:04 PM
No pics yet, got to get parts to finish. Fucking brake lines still arent here yet. I probably wont have it done till next week now.:(

Just a quick rundown of what I have got into her:

Woodcraft clip ons
Driven grips
Yamaha fork seals / dust seals/ misc gaskets and seals
All Balls tapered Stem brgs.
Galfer ss Brake lines
EBC HH pads
AVON tyres
RK chain
Sunstar Sprockets
Works Performance shocks
Progressive suspension fork springs (for now)
Dynajet Jet kit Stage 3
Uni air filters and crankcase breather
Supertrapp Exhaust
Paint work done by JZRacecolor / House of Colors Paint
Lots of SS replacenet hardware
custom handmade brackets
more shit I am sure, will add as I remember

JZ!
04-16-2009, 08:22 PM
sweet!

;)

SPRHK
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey John, welcome aboard!! Your work looks great dont it?

SPRHK
04-17-2009, 09:49 PM
WOOO HOOO!!! I finally got my brake lines, rear brake light pressure switch,and a couple of lenses I want to switch out. Too bad I have a set of fork seals, a carb cleaning, and a valve adjustment to do to customers bikes tomorrow. Oh well, there is always Sunday & Monday.

High_Revs_17
04-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Everything looks great and that paint really pops, nice idea with the center stripe on the tank too. After all that work I'd be hesitant to even put it on the road, looks too good, but there's nothing like throwing your leg over something you modified to fit your style, nearly a one-off in a sense. :ride:

BTW, I'm sure you've measured their comfort level, but hows the lean angle with those clip-ons? I tried their fit on my bike at the time, but they were far too forward and low so I opted for bars with the same angle and a bit of lift.

And will you be keeping the stock wheels?

(I haven't read the entire thread so I might've missed that info.)

If I have the time I'd love to sink my teeth into a restoration project on one of these, kinda like the old boxy MotoGP style.

Yamaha FZR400

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/Yamaha%20FZR400RR%20SP%2092%20%201.jpg

SPRHK
04-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Everything looks great and that paint really pops, nice idea with the center stripe on the tank too. After all that work I'd be hesitant to even put it on the road, looks too good, but there's nothing like throwing your leg over something you modified to fit your style, nearly a one-off in a sense. :ride:

BTW, I'm sure you've measured their comfort level, but hows the lean angle with those clip-ons? I tried their fit on my bike at the time, but they were far too forward and low so I opted for bars with the same angle and a bit of lift.

And will you be keeping the stock wheels?

(I haven't read the entire thread so I might've missed that info.)

If I have the time I'd love to sink my teeth into a restoration project on one of these, kinda like the old boxy MotoGP style.

Yamaha FZR400

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/Yamaha%20FZR400RR%20SP%2092%20%201.jpg

Thanks, I think it is coming along nicely. I hope to have it on the road this coming week. I am a little weary of riding it on the street, but what is the sense doing this if you cant ride it & enjoy it.Right? As for the clip ons, They are perfect. The lean angle is the same as the stock clip ons, but the stock ones were a fixed position set. The angle back would give me a cramp in my muscle around my thumb after about 15 minutes. The woodcraft ones are pushed out about 2 inches at the end of the bar, aleviating the twist outwards of the wrist.
Classic yamaha ther in the pic, just a little smal for a guy my size. Go for it. You dont have another bike yet do you?

NGB
04-18-2009, 09:42 PM
sweet!

;)Hey John,got say you did a beautiful job on Chris's body work,i've been up to Chris's shop a few times since he got the body work back,pics dont do any justice!!!I might have a project for ya come end of season,hopefully i'll see ya at a trackday event this year.Once again nice work man.Oh yeah welcome aboard.

High_Revs_17
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Not yet, 4 years, 6 knee surgeries, and another full year of physical therapy later, I'm recently just able to bend my knee to 110 degrees which is still shy of getting bent back far enough to rest comfortably on a rearset, I've ridden bikes with forward and mid controls before but of course that's not what I really want.

It seems I've been changing my mind weekly on what I'd like to have, a new sportbike with all the latest technology and performance features, or a later restoration project with some performance upgrades, in the end I still have plenty of time to figure it out so as of now it's just a waiting game.

You dont have another bike yet do you?

SPRHK
04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Not yet, 4 years, 6 knee surgeries, and another full year of physical therapy later, I'm recently just able to bend my knee to 110 degrees which is still shy of getting bent back far enough to rest comfortably on a rearset, I've ridden bikes with forward and mid controls before but of course that's not what I really want.

It seems I've been changing my mind weekly on what I'd like to have, a new sportbike with all the latest technology and performance features, or a later restoration project with some performance upgrades, in the end I still have plenty of time to figure it out so as of now it's just a waiting game.

It is funny you said that. I have been saving for a new bike. My Superhawk is 11 yrs old and still runs great, but want to add to the stable. After this project, I dont know if I still want the Duc 1098 / 848 or like what you said, do another project bike.

SPRHK
04-20-2009, 12:54 PM

We went down to Washington's Crossing yesterday. They had rally for all the old Nortons, Triumphs, and anything else old and obscure. It was pretty neat. I just wish I was done with this project, so I could have taken her there.

High_Revs_17
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
I hear ya, I'm still really bummed I cuz I wanted to retire my bike and add it to my future collection, not send it to the scrap yard with a bent uniframe, but oh well

That Superhawks still a great machine indeed, Honda did their homework as usual with that one. The 848 seems to be a winner with it's small chassis and wet clutch, or pick up a 916 that needs a bit of work, I can stare at that thing all day. If you're building a collection try and change it up so you have one of each style to pick from depending on your mood and type of riding you feel like doing that day, from a casual modest displacement cruiser to big bore sport.

I stopped by there when I was on two wheels and to me that's heaven, some really nice old bikes beautifully restored, and others run hard with modest flat paint, roll a Thruxton or Commando in front of me and I'll smile till my face hurts.

It is funny you said that. I have been saving for a new bike. My Superhawk is 11 yrs old and still runs great, but want to add to the stable. After this project, I dont know if I still want the Duc 1098 / 848 or like what you said, do another project bike.

We went down to Washington's Crossing yesterday. They had rally for all the old Nortons, Triumphs, and anything else old and obscure. It was pretty neat. I just wish I was done with this project, so I could have taken her there.

Brian78
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
you should take a trip down to Barber Motorsports Park and check out the museum.. you would enjoy it immensely.

I hear ya, I'm still really bummed I cuz I wanted to retire my bike and add it to my future collection, not send it to the scrap yard with a bent uniframe, but oh well

That Superhawks still a great machine indeed, Honda did their homework as usual with that one. The 848 seems to be a winner with it's small chassis and wet clutch, or pick up a 916 that needs a bit of work, I can stare at that thing all day. If you're building a collection try and change it up so you have one of each style to pick from depending on your mood and type of riding you feel like doing that day, from a casual modest displacement cruiser to big bore sport.

I stopped by there when I was on two wheels and to me that's heaven, some really nice old bikes beautifully restored, and others run hard with modest flat paint, roll a Thruxton or Commando in front of me and I'll smile till my face hurts.

liquiddevil2000
04-21-2009, 08:15 AM
dam i wish i wouldve done something like that for my pops before he passed away but i got into bikes after he died.. :(

SPRHK
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Ok, we are now 99.5 % done!!! i still have minor tweaks & adjustmnts and I tok her out on the road for the first time in over 10 yrs! here are the almost final results. I still need to finish detail it, but hey what r u gonna do?Tell me what you think. Be sure to check out the before pics in the first post if you havent seen them yet.

SPRHK
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
And some more..........

yb929rr
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM
looks great!!!

SPRHK
04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
thx

SPRHK
04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Alrighty then. I took her out tonight for her first leg stretching. What a FUCKING BLAST!!!!! It has been an hr &1/2 and I am still grinning! There has to be something said about a bike you do not need to go over 75 to have the time of your life! I still have a tweak or two, which I knew I would , especially since she hasnt been on the road in over 10 yrs. It was incredible. I am sooo fucking stoked. I plan on taking her out to the Chatterbox on the 14th, weather permitting. It's time to show off all the fruits of my labor.:ride::ride::thumbup::jam2::wrench: