PDA

View Full Version : Oil & you

High_Revs_17
08-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Something to ponder...before I was in the hospital around mid May fuel prices for 87 octane were less than $2.00/gal. When I was released in early July they were up over $2.00 and now it's rediculous and getting worse. I guess when I get my cast off and am able to drive again I'll have to sell the car (which is only 5 months old) and get a new bike.

Due to the rise in world fuel comsumption being random 2nd & 3rd world countires that are just starting to enter the "industrial revolution", current prices at $67.00/ barrel are estimated to rise to $75.00 by next summer, we'll be reduced to bicycles by then. All the soccer moms in their towering SUVs won't be smiling at that point. This will have a dramatic effect on the price of everything. Trucking industries which make up a large percentage of our transported goods will either go on strike or imply large surcharges for to make up for their enormous costs for fuel causing a domino effect on the price of the goods they're shipping, including the cost of shipped fuel to service stations (FYI the average gas station owner only makes about .10 cents per gallon, nearly 50% of the total cost per gallon covers government taxes while the rest covers the cost of everything that's involved with the fuel itself ie production, shipping, etc...). D.O.T. costs for highway/ road maintenance will rise. Nearly all forms of public transportation will induce enormous fees. The fishing industry will be effected as well among many others being anything that's fuel dependent.

It just doesn't seem like anyone's getting the big picture here...higher oil prices effect the cost of everything else we depend on in life and unless something is done to reduce the costs everything will be so damn expensive that it will cause an economic melt down due to massive inflation. I think it's time for us to start tapping Alaska a bit more. Wake up Bush, cuz no one's planning on buying hybrids anytime in the near future?! :nuts:

Tonupboy
08-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I was wondering about that...in San Fran, it's $3.65 for premium...and yet nobody is really making a big stink about it. Looks like Bush and his oil company buddies are getting richer by the minute...yes, with the Domino effect, I doubt tapping Alaska is gonna make things cheaper anytime soon...think about it...if I'm an owner of Texaco, would I give a shit if I lower the prices on the pump?? Gas is an essential commodity that you can't just boycott...

...Hyrdogen is looking really attractive at this point...I'm sure technology is there, but again, if I'm a rich Texaco owner, and I have a big clout in the government lobby, would I want something that could mess up my profits??? Hell no...keep it fossil fuel!

njf4i
08-14-2005, 03:02 PM
moved to off topic

ronin_01r1
08-14-2005, 04:02 PM
87 octane? you don't put premium in your car?

i hear you get a pretty good gov't rebate or tax reduction for buying one of those hybrid cars. i dunno, if they improved those designs a bit, i think a lot of people would consider it.

this one dude on the r1 forum posted that he spent $14 for a tank! damn. i remember back in the day filling up my nissan pathfinder for a little over 20 bucks.

Vin
08-14-2005, 04:17 PM
87 octane? you don't put premium in your car?

I put 87 in both my SV and my gas-guzzling Aviator (8-9mpg). The Aviator hurts -- bad.
I wonder how much MetroCard prices will increase due to fuel price increases.

High_Revs_17
08-14-2005, 10:47 PM
moved to off topic

Oh Nicholas my edumucated man......that's all you can contribute to this important discussion? :)

BTW, I thought it was in Off Topic.

benellis
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Even though I do believe something is going to have to give, or bust in the future, I'm left wondering why the race fuel (114 octane leaded) at Wall Township Speedway is still at around $5 a gallon. It's been that price since 99' when I first started working there. I know during our test sessions at Richmond and Atlanta earlier this year, the Sunoco fuel Nextel Cup uses (112 octane leaded) is $4.50 a gallon, the same price as the old Union 76 they ran a couple of seasons ago. Why are their prices much more stable?

Tonupboy
08-15-2005, 01:44 AM
I put 87 in both my SV and my gas-guzzling Aviator (8-9mpg). The Aviator hurts -- bad.
I wonder how much MetroCard prices will increase due to fuel price increases.

Isnt the Aviator Premium Only??? If so, that's gonna screw up your mileage.

Vin
08-15-2005, 05:50 AM
Isnt the Aviator Premium Only??? If so, that's gonna screw up your mileage.

Actually, for some reason I think I get better mileage from 87, but I'll look into it. Hm...

njf4i
08-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Man i don't talk about gas. I just freak out everytime i fill my V8 dakota and it rapes me for $40.

That would be great if i got more than 200 miles per tank. :slap:

** oh and on a side note, you had this in "off topic media" smart guy. :lmao:

Vin
08-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Actually, for some reason I think I get better mileage from 87, but I'll look into it. Hm...

Ok, 13.1mpg on the computer this morning -- that's with the last fill-up being 87.