PDA

View Full Version : anti high side

Big G.
03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Once you panic , and use that stupid rear brake till it locks ,,you better keep it locked until you stop .....because once you release it ....when the bike is still moving during the skid ...The bike will lurch forward and high side ,,,the bike has a effect like a rubber band ....streach a rubber band then slowly ease it back ...now stretch it and release it in a snap [ in a snap is the key word here ] and it flys foreward with energy,,,,,same thing when you release your foot brake in a snap during a hard stop... I should say skid. ..A stoppie is different because your not skidding the back tire..and the front brake is never wrong and not a panic move ....I hope this helps one person when that day comes this summer...

opinion914
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
true, most highsides occur under acceleration though where the rear breaks loose, you get offf the throttle in a panic and the tire once again grips, except at this point, its' not pointing the same direction that you're moving and weeeeeeeee.

p.s. pay no attention to that rear brake, it causes more trouble than it's worth.

carl_g
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM
p.s. pay no attention to that rear brake, it causes more trouble than it's worth.
+1

RCM78
03-14-2008, 11:45 AM
no usie no rear brakey. rear brakey bad!!!

Kennedy
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
If you took a proper motorcycle instruction course they would teach you to keep the rear brake locked (if you use it) until you come to a complete stop.

I use the rear brake all the time and never have a problem.

High_Revs_17
03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Like anything else in life, if you don't know how to use it properly then quit playing with it.

CBRBob
03-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Not using the rear brake is fine on the track and bad on the street. Never using the rear brake on the street is a bad choice. On the track when you are at 90%+ braking traction, not using the rear(or barely using it) is fine. On the street when most stops would be at much less use of traction, you are giving up a lot of braking force by not using it. Ues the right proportion of brakes for the situation.
FYI, you can lock the rear at speed and release it but you BETTER have the wheels in line or off you go LOL.

Marker54
03-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I use that shit only in straight line, upright stopping, while commuting...very easy with it. If I'm hitting the back roads, I try to forget it's there.

NGB
03-14-2008, 08:19 PM
There's a back brake on sportbikes?

CBRBob
03-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes and it can be very useful if you use it when the situation dictates. If you don't you are not using the bike to it's full potential, even at a moderate pace. Don't overuse it, don't ignore it.

Big G.
03-14-2008, 09:52 PM
just use the rear brake ..when your sitting at a red light to light the tail light for aproaching cars ,,, or break it off and canibize the pads for the front ,,,,it could save your life ,,,,,if it cant be done with the front ,it cant be done anyway:ride: look for a escape hole and go for it like a man ..

High_Revs_17
03-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Damn Bob, sometimes you sound like a darn coach...

NGB
03-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Yes and it can be very useful if you use it when the situation dictates. If you don't you are not using the bike to it's full potential, even at a moderate pace. Don't overuse it, don't ignore it.YES SIR!

CBRBob
03-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Only the ignorant ignore the rear brake LOL

So I was reading up on why so many MotoGP bikes have steel rear discs and not carbon. They are using that brake, just not enough to get it hot enough for the carbon to heat up enough to work properly. So even at that level, the rear brake is being used.

If you outright ignore it, one time when something unexpected happens you might make an error and go to use it but have zero clue on how the bike will react. It's just another tool that needs to be learned how to be used. Of course it's cool locking up the rear after a long straight with Cakes behind you............:doh:

Big G.
03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
If you took a proper motorcycle instruction course they would teach you to keep the rear brake locked (if you use it) until you come to a complete stop.

Their is the differance ,,,,,You use it correctly while riding ,me to ,, now there is useing it it in a panic or lock up,,,,,this is the point of the post....So useing the brake is fine ..Having the brake bitch slap you is what we dont see much until it happens ,,,,,this is how to control it,,Wait it out

CBRBob
03-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Their is the differance ,,,,,You use it correctly while riding ,me to ,, now there is useing it it in a panic or lock up,,,,,this is the point of the post..

It seems your point is dont ever use it. Besides there are times when the front brake is the worst thing to do like on grass.....

Big G.
03-15-2008, 10:18 AM
It seems your point is dont ever use it. Besides there are times when the front brake is the worst thing to do like on grass.....
No thats not my point ,,,Sorry I misled you

CBRBob
03-15-2008, 01:17 PM
No problemo! You didn't mislead me, just wanted to make sure everyone knows the score.

Kennedy
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Their is the differance ,,,,,You use it correctly while riding ,me to ,, now there is useing it it in a panic or lock up,,,,,this is the point of the post....So useing the brake is fine ..Having the brake bitch slap you is what we dont see much until it happens ,,,,,this is how to control it,,Wait it out

Well if you use it correctly while riding in theory during a panic situation you should also use it correctly. :)

Marker54
03-15-2008, 07:00 PM
No problemo! You didn't mislead me, just wanted to make sure everyone knows the score.

Yeah...Bob 1000 the rest of us O.

:doh: Bobby don't hate me cause I'm beautiful! Big NASCAR race tomorrow, 2:00 Sharp. I'll let you have the recliner this time.

AkrapovicR6
03-15-2008, 10:33 PM

+1 :nod2:

southjersey636
03-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Why I dont even use my rear brake ever even when stopping normal, the front is superior and yes i know the whole thing about how the rear brake does work to help shave some feet off your stoping distance but its too easy to get hurt trying to use it in a panic situation.

Big G.
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I am new to this site ,,,,,The 1st thing i noticed is people have knowledge about riding and can joke around with each other ....I not like this on some other sites ...anyway Iam big G. in N.C.

CBRBob
03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Why I dont even use my rear brake ever even when stopping normal, the front is superior and yes i know the whole thing about how the rear brake does work to help shave some feet off your stoping distance but its too easy to get hurt trying to use it in a panic situation.

So learn to use it correctly so you won't panic...........:moocow:

IrocRob
03-16-2008, 11:16 AM
I am new to this site ,,,,,The 1st thing i noticed is people have knowledge about riding and can joke around with each other ....I not like this on some other sites ...anyway Iam big G. in N.C.

You'll find the sarcasm gets layed down deep here.
Don't take anything too seriously, it's all in good fun...:doh:

JoeyHonda
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM

I look at it this way.... the rear brake is considered 10% of your stopping power. In an emergency situation that 10% could equate to 4-6 feet (or even inches) that can come between you and hitting something very hard. :doh: Why would you not use it?

-jh

Big G.
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I look at it this way.... the rear brake is considered 10% of your stopping power. In an emergency situation that 10% could equate to 4-6 feet (or even inches) that can come between you and hitting something very hard. :doh: Why would you not use it?

-jh

use it ,,

Big G.
03-17-2008, 10:33 AM
So learn to use it correctly so you won't panic...........:moocow:

..Avoid panic..

Big G.
03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
You can be a expert with the brakes ,,,,,and that old lady wont know it when she pulls out on you.. as she looks you dead in the eye.

FDNYDANO18
03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
:banghead:

NGB
03-17-2008, 05:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :banghead:

Kennedy
03-17-2008, 06:06 PM
http://dogtoe.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

CBRBob
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
:banghead:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/85710-74932/garysinise.jpg

Kennedy
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
http://photos6.flickr.com/6071754_14b54a27cb_m.jpg

High_Revs_17
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Scan
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute

Overall your eyes work much better than your brakes, I can say that idea saved my ass on the street for many years.

You can be a expert with the brakes ,,,,,and that old lady wont know it when she pulls out on you.. as she looks you dead in the eye.

CBRBob
03-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Scan
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute

FYI, the new curriculuum is now
Search
Evaluate
Execute

which came from the ERC