PDA

View Full Version : Reckless

Respect_My_Authorita
02-14-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2008/02/14/hostin.high.speed.chase.cnn

John712
02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I thought they were supposed to end a pursuit at high speeds ..?

JHuff1219
02-14-2008, 08:03 PM
I thought they were supposed to end a pursuit at high speeds ..?

They are which is why this officer is being charged with two counts of manslaughter and the motorcycle rider is not even receiving a ticket. Every police department has policies and procedures regarding high speed pursuits. They all say the same thing, unless bodily injury or death has occured during a hit and run or if the fleeing vehicle is suspected of involvement in a criminal activity resulting in death or serious bodily injury then high speed pursuit is prohibited without supervisor approval. This officer chose to chase this traffic scofflaw without supervisory approval. Actually, the officer didn't even notify the dispatcher of his intent to pursue the motorcyclist. This is a tragedy any way you look at it but I'm sure the media will spin this to negatively impact motorcycling.

BadKitty
02-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Similar case happened near here last summer. The cop in a Tahoe was going one direction responding to a burglary call and passed a motorcyclist at ~100mph the other direction. Whipped around, abandoned his call, and gave chase to the motorcycle, and did not get supervisor's approval. Lost control in a corner and crashed the tahoe and died. The motorcyclist is in jail now for manslaughter and wreckless endangerment. Motorcylist claimed all along he never saw the police car behind him at any point. Huge uproad here cuz the officer had no business trying to get a freakin Tahoe at those speeds to handle those corners esp when he was on hi way to ANOTHER CALL.