PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Connection Help

Ant
12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok, I know there are a lot of computer guys here so maybe you can help.

Lately, my work laptop won't connect to my wireless unless I take the security off. My roommate did all the key input and stuff like that. It seems like the only way it works is if the security is off. Any ideas? :moocow:

John712
12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
This may sound stupid to some, but I had the same problem, but I called the Comcast Tech line, and they said my Modem might be bad. Comcast came here NOT on there promised date I have you know, they came 2 days after the appointment date, gave me a new modem and everything worked prefect again.

Cakes206
12-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Are you trying to use vpn via your wireless router? Or just use regular internet w/o vpn?

Ant
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, I doubt it's the modem because all the other computers work. Just my work one doesn't.

Cakes...no VPN, that doesn't work either but that's another story. I'm just trying to connect to the internet.

Cakes206
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Ok, does it work if you try to use a LAN port from the router, not using the wifi?

Ant
12-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Ok, does it work if you try to use a LAN port from the router, not using the wifi?

:wtf: Do you mean if you plug in the wire? If so, then yes, it works like that.

Cakes206
12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
:wtf: Do you mean if you plug in the wire? If so, then yes, it works like that.
Ok. Now, are you using a wireless card you plug in or is it built into the laptop?

Ant
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Ok. Now, are you using a wireless card you plug in or is it built into the laptop?

built in

Cakes206
12-27-2007, 11:41 PM
built in
Stupid question, but is it enabled(turned on) on the laptop?

GinoE
12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
you mentioned 'the other computers work' - are they wireless too?

on the wireless router, is the mac address of the laptop nic allowed access?

sounds like a router security setting does not match up since the laptop wire connection works.

Ant
12-29-2007, 10:35 AM
you mentioned 'the other computers work' - are they wireless too?

on the wireless router, is the mac address of the laptop nic allowed access?

sounds like a router security setting does not match up since the laptop wire connection works.

Yeah, other wireless computers work. grr

JimRBlue
12-29-2007, 11:50 AM
sounds like you have worked your way to a flaky card in the laptop. Another easy thing is to try a different channel on the router and turn off broadcasting the ssid

Cakes206
12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
sounds like you have worked your way to a flaky card in the laptop. Another easy thing is to try a different channel on the router and turn off broadcasting the ssid
His head just might explode after reading this...he actually slapped his laptop :lol:

nnjhawk02
12-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Good topic

Want to go wireless route - what is the setup I need & what is the good stuff to buy & from where?

Thanks

Happy New Year

JimRBlue
12-29-2007, 01:13 PM
i use a netgear wireless router. Pretty pleased with it. Good range and covers all speeds.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wpn824v2.asp

SAXON117
12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I have a Net Gear wireless and I ran into the same problem, the laptop worked for a few days and now it has to be plugged into the LAN port to work. Dafuk? Good info on this thread going try a few of the ideas. Keep the info comin!

JimRBlue
12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Other obvious causes are cordless phones (2.4 Ghz) especially and if there are many routers or wireless networks close by changing channels is almost a must. Most people change very little from the defaults. Just enough to get them going from out of the box.

Ant
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
What is this changing of the channel deal?

ffejtable
01-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Lots of good advice, but the key in Ants original post is that it works when he turns the security off on the router, and doesnt when he turns it on. That means either you arent putting in the rght key, you are configuring the key incorrectly, or there is something wrong with whatever drivers handle this on the laptop.

I would triple check how and where you are setting up the security settings on the laptop. Many 802.11 cards have their own management utility, which you may be using to set this up. You should also be able to tell Windows to let it handle managing your wireless card.

Are you using WEP or WPA?

ffejtable
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
What is this changing of the channel deal?

Changing the channel is changing the frequency used to communicate. Again, if not of the other devices are having a problem, and your laptop can communicate when security is turned off, its very unlikely that the frequency is the problem.

When troubleshooting I would try to be as close to the wireless access point as possible tho to get the best signal.

Ant
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Lots of good advice, but the key in Ants original post is that it works when he turns the security off on the router, and doesnt when he turns it on. That means either you arent putting in the rght key, you are configuring the key incorrectly, or there is something wrong with whatever drivers handle this on the laptop.

I would triple check how and where you are setting up the security settings on the laptop. Many 802.11 cards have their own management utility, which you may be using to set this up. You should also be able to tell Windows to let it handle managing your wireless card.

Ok, well, I have no idea what that means. My roommate has been doing stuff where you are connected to the router through the internet and it has a bunch of numbers on the screen which I'm assuming are the keys. I think we tried 2 different keys and neither works.

soda7o
01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
ANt i had the same problem ... nothign worked.. is your lapt op a dell ? cause this only hapend on my dell lap top..

jcblitz
01-03-2008, 01:51 PM

I had a problem with the same symptoms but it wasn't that. It was because I changed my WEP to WPA on the router and for some reason after X amount of days of working fine, my laptop refused to recognize it as WPA and kept trying to use WEP no mater what I told it. I ended up having to reset my router and change its SSID. So far I haven't hit that issue again.

Ant
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I had a problem with the same symptoms but it wasn't that. It was because I changed my WEP to WPA on the router and for some reason after X amount of days of working fine, my laptop refused to recognize it as WPA and kept trying to use WEP no mater what I told it. I ended up having to reset my router and change its SSID. So far I haven't hit that issue again.

Ok, I will try this!

Cakes206
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Ok, I will try this!
Better get a safety net :roflmao:

jcblitz
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok, I will try this!

Well I did a bunch of other trouble shooting before I just said "fuck it" and did that. When you say "won't connect", what do you mean? The laptop won't connect to the router? It connects to the router but you cannot connect to any web pages? If it doesn't connect to the router, what happens? Can it see the router? If you click the router from the network selection list, does it prompt you for a key? Just it just time out? Does it give you an error? Why do birds suddenly appear?

Ant
01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
ANt i had the same problem ... nothign worked.. is your lapt op a dell ? cause this only hapend on my dell lap top..

It's an HP so no.

lateapex
01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Also check the router configuration for the number of allowed wireless connections. If your hitting the limit it will not let you connect.

I have mine set to 1 just to restrict unwanted access, along with changing the key often.

carl_g
01-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Ant just kick it this time :LOL: