PDA

View Full Version : Send Sampson to Race Daytona Rally & Party 9/17/05

Onedwn5up
08-06-2005, 01:37 AM
BAD WEATHER UPDATE - SUNDAY ONLY RIDE -NO DONATION REQUIRED
Saturday isn't looking too good so that puts a dampener on things unfortuantely. No one wants to be caught out in bad weather. However, Sunday is still looking pretty nice so I am going to modify things since, regardless, I want to go for a ride. It's been 6 days since I was on the bike and I am getting a bit antsy.

PLEASE REPLY TO THE POST IF YOU ARE ABLE TO MAKE IT!

First thing, No donation required. Just come out and ride.
My business keeps drunk drivers from killing people and I am just way too busy to be able to take off the required week to go to Daytona in the coming month. I recently laid off two people and the additional work just prevents it. Stinks but there is always March, and reality is, I will be in more of a points contention next year than this one anyway since I moved race classes half way through the season. Plus, without being able to put everything else in place for Saturday evening it doesn't make sense.

The idea is just to go out and have a good ride and we are still going to do Saturday's original route plan so the ride will be good and we're still going to stop for some kick ass barbeque.

WHERE & WHEN TO MEET

I am going to make things simple. We will meet at the Dunkin Donuts on Rt. 23 North/Jackson Ave at 10am for a 10:30am departure.

The Dunkin Donuts is located at the intersection of Rt. 23 North and Jackson Ave.

The physical address for mapquesters is:
Dunkin' Donuts at 560 ROUTE 23, PEQUANNOCK, NJ 07440

Kawasaki/Yamaha Sport Center is also in the same parking lot and is easily viewable from the highway. It is also immediately after the Pompton Honda-Suzuki Dealership and is direclty across from the Saturn Dealership on the southbound side of 23. There is plenty of room for trailers in the lot if that is your intention on how you plan on getting the bike there.

For anyone coming from the GS Parkway/Rt. 3/Rt 46/Rt 80 go towards Wayne and take rt 23 North to the 5th traffic light. Dunkin Donuts is on the right at the 5th light, immediately after Pompton Honda-Suzuki.

For anyone coming from Rt. 287 North or South, exit on to Rt 23 South at exit 52 A (from south) or 52 B (from north). Take the jug handle at the 4th traffic light, immediately after the Saturn dealer across and into the parking lot.

Rt. 4 or 17 take either the GS Parkway to Rt 80 or go North to 287 and follow the directions above.

SUNDAY

10:00am -meet at Dunkin Donuts in Pequannock on Rt. 23 North/Jackson Ave Dunkin' Donuts is located at: 560 ROUTE 23, PEQUANNOCK, NJ 07440, USA

10:00-10:30am Tech Assistance and Safety Inspection (for those who would like free assistance)

10:30am Departure from Dunkin Donuts

THE ROUTE

Saturday is going to start with a ride up rt 23 north into West Milford to a road that I call the miniature version of deals gap -Clinton Road-. Newly repaved, Clinton road is probably near 75+ curves in only a few short miles.

At the end of this road we will cruise around the shore of GreenWood Lake via East Shore Road, which again, is newly repaved. This will bring us into the Village of Greenwood Lake where we will take a brief gas stop and top-off. After that we will then head through Sterling Forest until we arrive at Rt 106. Rt 106 is a very tight and twisty road that is sure to thrill those that have never been on it. It gets my blood pumping every time. Rt. 106 ends in Harriman State Park where we will take a short stint around the Lake Tiorati circle, which is a 5 mile loop, again, full of twists and turns and fresh pavement. After this we will make our way towards Perkins Memorial Drive for our first scheduled stop of the day. Perkins Memorial Drive is newly repaved and offers a, dare I say, breathtaking view of the Hudson river from the highest point in the region. This road also happens to be newly repaved.

After this stop we will make our way across Bear Mountain Bridge ($1 toll or EZ Pass) and hang a left towards the village of Cold Spring. We are going to short-cut around the village of Cold Spring since we don't want to clue in the local fuzz just exactly what we are up to since we are about to make a turn onto the famed Rt. 301. Rt. 301 is known as one of the top roads in the northeast and it runs for about 18 miles through some amazing scenery with some really great sections of turns and sweepers.

After Rt. 301 we should be ready for some food. So we are going to stop at the best BBQ place I have ever found. "Holy Smoke" in Mahopac, NY. This place has the absolute most ridiculous pulled pork sandwhich I have ever had in my life. In fact, I routinely starve myself just to make sure I can eat the whole thing when I get there. You will not be dissapointed.

After feasting on insane BBQ, we will continue to make our way around the Route 6 loop, taking it easy for our food to digest. We will come to another pass that brings up along the hudson in a great set of connected turns bringing us back to the Bear Mountain Bridge.

We'll cross the bridge (no toll) and take rt 106 back the opposite direction. We will then hang a left turn on Rt 9 and take that into the Town of Tuxedo where we'll stop at "Take a Break" for a breather and an ice cream cone.

After that it's further down 9 where we will then turn off and cut through Ringwood State Park. From there we will start making out way back towards Wayne. But depending on the mood and time, we just may have to head back through Greenwood Lake instead to hang out on the deck at Emerald Point Marina to enjoy a cold one.

If anyone has any questions at all, please drop me an email or just give me a call. I'm looking forward to just meeting, riding with and showing all of you my favorite area roads and having a good time.

And remember, if you can make this, please reply!
Cheers,
Eric Sampson
973-704-1555
eric@teamsampsonracing.com

Take it to the Track!
Northeast CCS #973
'03 RC-51 , '05 600RR
www.teamsampsonracing.com

Gear Dog
08-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Man looks like you got a great weekend planned. I'm going to g\keep this date on my calander to see if I can come help support the cause.

Onedwn5up
09-17-2005, 10:07 AM
check above for the update