PDA

View Full Version : 07 GSXR 600 Scotts Damper Install

Cakes206
09-29-2007, 11:36 PM
This is a fairly easy installation but I was bored so here ya go.

Pic1 - Steering stem head nut(36mm) and washer.
Pic2 - Remove steering stem head nut and washer.
Pic3 - Replace with new steering stem head nut provided by Scotts.
Pic4&5 - Insert the 8 allen set screws into the damper mount. Bring them in just far enough so they are flush with the inner edge. Be sure to use a drop of Blue LocTite on each screw, provided by Scotts.
Pic6 - Slide the damper mount onto the steering stem head nut with the flat edge against the triple clamp. Tighten the eight screws all around securing the damper mount onto the steering stem head nut.
Pic7 - Remove OEM tank bolt, mount the Frame Bracket using the bolt provided by Scotts. Insert Tower Pin into the top of the Frame Bracket.
Pic8 - Slide the Damper onto the damper mount, the Link Arm gets placed onto the tower pin, using the two bolts provided secure damper onto damper mount.

Done. Approximate time: 10-15 minutes.

John712
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Good thing directions come with the Damper, but we all know most directions are sometimes half assed backwards. Good write up Joe!

HondaGalToo
09-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Looks good! Did you remove the stock damper? Did you find headshake with the stock one? Just curious, as I haven't experienced any headshake on mine. The 929 was another story, that thing waggled all over the place, damper mandatory!

RCM78
09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Joe, can you take a better shot of the scotts steering head nut. You cant see the recess that the screws are suposed to fit into. If thats not done the damper will loosen up. Happened to me after I installed Bowlers damper.

High_Revs_17
09-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Did you remove the stock damper? Did you find headshake with the stock one?

There was a write up about the stockers lacking the proper thickness and volume of oil but after they were taken apart and refilled with more heavier oil they worked very well, but I'm still not sure if they have the same abilities regarding adjustments as the aftermarkets.

Anyway, nice documentation Joe.

HondaGalToo
09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Oh, definitely the stock one doesn't have the same damping properties as an aftermarket. Yeah, no adjustment on the stocker, either. The stock one is basically junk compared to a Scotts, etc. I was just wondering about headshake, as I haven't gotten any...yet! LOL.
I may upgrade mine at some point. Ohlins makes one that bolts on in place of the stock unit. :drool:

carl_g
09-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh, definitely the stock one doesn't have the same damping properties as an aftermarket. Yeah, no adjustment on the stocker, either. The stock one is basically junk compared to a Scotts, etc. I was just wondering about headshake, as I haven't gotten any...yet! LOL.
I may upgrade mine at some point. Ohlins makes one that bolts on in place of the stock unit. :drool:
FYI Ohlins & scotts are the same company now.

HondaGalToo
09-30-2007, 08:12 PM

:nod2: Yup, that I know! Good products!

nyskg
10-01-2007, 12:04 PM

I guess Ohlins went with the solution "if you can't compete with them - buy them"

Cakes206
10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Looks good! Did you remove the stock damper? Did you find headshake with the stock one? Just curious, as I haven't experienced any headshake on mine. The 929 was another story, that thing waggled all over the place, damper mandatory!
Yup, stock damper gets removed. I was getting a tad bit of head shake thru T-8 at Beaver, I'm thinking its more of the track getting bumpy that area but hopefully with the Scotts it'll help it a bit, we shall see.

Like RCM78 said, on the stem nut there is a groove that goes the whole way around...the 8 set screws fit into the groove to clamp onto the stem nut.