PDA

View Full Version : 02 F4i.. wont start

soda7o
09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
ok i come here for all my tech questions cause some of you know what you are doing .. :moocow:
anyway a buddy of my went down yesterday in the city after hitting what seems to resemble a ski jump on an exit of the FDR by the brooklyn bridge. the bike sustained minimal cosmetic damaged ( a few scrapes and cracks but nothing that cant be fixed with a few zip ties) the only thing is his Frame slider is bend, and it looks like it is bend where it attaches to the engine... it looks liek oil is sl leaking form somwhere inside the frame (not from the case covers cause they are all intact)
we have not had a chance to tear apart the bike yet but it is not kicking over... battery is charged but i do not hear the starter trying to kick over or the enging attmepting to kick over either... :arrr:
what could it be?
could the frame slider crack the engine or make a whole in it?
could it have seized the engine?
can it be the starter?

carl_g
09-20-2007, 03:13 PM
check to make sure the kill switch is set to on.
make sure it is in neutral.
Check the kickstand override switch.
There is a tip over sensor in the front fairing between the headlights. Make sure it is still mounted and facing the correct way.
Check the main wire harness up by the headlights and make sure that is all connected.

soda7o
09-20-2007, 03:28 PM
WILL DO THANKS

njf4i
09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey soda was this spok?

buckle up
09-21-2007, 12:49 AM
how long was it on its side?? cuz you probably got oil in the cylinders and its hydro locked:nod2:

BoRkA
09-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Soda, that oil you are describing is probably oil that came out from the top of the engine due to the bike laying on its side for a prolonger period of time > 1 minute. so most likely it is not a leak.

If the fuel pump is priming but the starter is not cranking the block over then most likely there is oil in the cylenders, pull the plugs and get that oil out some how.

soda7o
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
how long was it on its side?? cuz you probably got oil in the cylinders and its hydro locked:nod2:

njF4i - yes spok's bike
buckle up and Borka - yes the bike was on its side but according to SPOk not more than a minute
yest when i took of the tank there was oil in the airfilter and look sliek it got inside.
how do i get the oil out of there...
what to do if it is hydro locked....

on a side note

BUckle up any good news for me?

BoRkA
09-21-2007, 11:34 AM
how do i get the oil out of there...
what to do if it is hydro locked....

My friend had a similar situation, if you have oil in the air intake box then the oil leaked into the cylenders and then into the airbox. u need to remove air box, clean it. then pull out the plugs and use a "Shpritz" or any other sucking device to suck the oil out of the cylenders. it is a pita process.

Most likely it is just hydrolocked due to the oil not letting the cylender move, once you get the oil out, its should fire up. be warned it will be very smokey for a few minutes.

also clean the plugs if they have oil on them.

soda7o
09-21-2007, 11:36 AM
My friend had a similar situation, if you have oil in the air intake box then the oil leaked into the cylenders and then into the airbox. u need to remove air box, clean it. then pull out the plugs and use a "Shpritz" or any other sucking device to suck the oil out of the cylenders. it is a pita process.

ill give spok a twistie straw and have him start sucking the oil out...
his bikes have been in my agarge for more repairs than my bike..

Spockalypse
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
ill give spok a twistie straw and have him start sucking the oil out...
his bikes have been in my agarge for more repairs than my bike..

I'm averaging 1 bike every 2 months...

4 bikes in a year+ but lsot a bike before last winter... this is not looking good for my future in this sport... :D

Soda, and the rest of you, thanks a whole bunch for the help. Soda, I told you, I may owe you my second born (a few more bikes and it'll be first born).

I downloaded the service manual and found the schematics on the bank angle sensor. let me get my twistie straw...

SAXON117
09-21-2007, 02:48 PM
so did ya get rid of that cherry ZX6?:lol:

soda7o
09-21-2007, 02:54 PM
so did ya get rid of that cherry ZX6?:lol:

oh yeahs he did and for an amazing price too (there is a sucker born every minute)

to allyou haters.. chew on that