PDA

View Full Version : Holy squirting oil, batman...

causef0rconcern
09-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Tonight was one of those nights that you get back home and give a big old sign of relief and give thanks for making it back. 4 friends and I were out cruising when would up on 22E. So we figured screw it, we'll stop by Hooters in Union. I'd never been to that bike night before. So we pull in, putz around, and while I'm standing there next to my bike, I can't help but notice the left side of my rear tire shining brilliantly. Sure enough, its completely soaked with the fresh oil I put in my motor last week. I am absolutely amazed I didn't wipe. Just a few hours before, I was hitting my favorite backroads at full speed...

It started a few weeks ago when I noticed little drops of oil here and there. Nothing serious, my bike did turn over 30k miles very recently. I replaced the gasket on the right side clutch cover thinking that would solve things (it had a few drops under it so I figured that was it). No such luck. Turns out the oil is coming from where my shift linkage goes into the crankcase on the left. I'm not a freakin' mechanic, by far, but that looks to me like a relatively serious leak to fix. I have no idea how the hell the inner workings of that go together. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I'm poor, so shops are out of the question. I will figure this out eventually. And I don't want to lose any of this valuable weather before it gets real damn cold!! Pic coming tommorow afternoon....

tommymac
09-14-2007, 08:37 AM
There should be some sort of seal around that shaft that comes outof the case. My tl had some issues with the countershaft and clutch pushrod seals leaking (seems they are prone to that) I would check the manual to see how much of a project it is to replace the seal.

Tom

Cakes206
09-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Yup, theres a seal there like tommy said. Eventually they can go bad.

CBRBob
09-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Yup, theres a seal there like tommy said. Eventually they can go bad.

:jerkit: :rock: :poke: :slap:

causef0rconcern
09-15-2007, 10:21 AM
To get to that seal I'm thinking I have to go in through the right side. Am I going to have to take out my clutch and gears and everything to get to it? Or is there a way to get to it without all that mumbo jumbo?

John712
09-15-2007, 10:10 PM
any way of getting your bike to Clark..?and are you able to leave it for a day or 2 - 3..?

tommymac
09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
To get to that seal I'm thinking I have to go in through the right side. Am I going to have to take out my clutch and gears and everything to get to it? Or is there a way to get to it without all that mumbo jumbo?

Check the manual first, it may not be that big of a hassle.

Tom

RCM78
09-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Get the srevice manual. Replacing that seal isnt that hard at all.

causef0rconcern
10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
So it wasn't the seal. Popped a new one in, easy as pie, fired her up, took her around the block, and came back seeping out again. Closer inspection yielded amazing results. A cracked shifter shaft DOH. So I ordered up a new one, and began the process of replacing it. Drained the oil, popped off the clutch cover, and began to wrestle the damned thing out. Sure enough...it didn't want to come out. Because it was shaped like this:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/causef0rconcern/shaft.jpg
Yes indeed. A bent shaft is a bad shaft as we know. As a few of you know, the bike was layed down on the left side last year. My guess is that the shaft was somehow bent during that little fall, and slowly developed a fissure at the bend(which happened at the weak point: the groove where the gasket sits) that only started leaking oil recently. The old shaft was also hollow which contributed to this problem. Oil went in on the internal side of it, then out of the crack outside of the trans. We noticed that the new OEM replacement was a solid shaft. I guess Suzuki noticed. So yeah. If you have some oil problems, think outside the bun. It might not be as obvious as a seal.

NGB
10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear you figured out the problem,now get her together and lets ride!

causef0rconcern
10-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Been riding. Breaking in the 2CT I just put on the front. Freakin' awesome tire by the way.

V2Rider
02-25-2008, 08:44 PM
My last oil spill was this weekend. A chunk of debri on the first filter spilled oil everywhere. I changed the oil, and filter, only to have it happen again. Getting expensive now.:banghead: So finally, 2 more quarts of Amsoil and an Amsoil filter, I wiped the mating surface off, greased up the o ring on the filter, and snugged it on. All is well. Boy was I PISSED! I was starting think "something is seriously wrong with my baby, and its going to cost alot"

CBRBob
02-26-2008, 12:22 PM
http://blog.microbrainx.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/new-year-image.jpg