PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Wheelie masters!

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Well guys, I want to learn to wheelie my bike, I have an 06 R6 which I've heard they are a little trickier to wheelie. So if there's anyone who has the same bike as me or at least skilled in this area, I'd like some tips on how to start learning as safely as possible.:drink:

sonny
09-06-2007, 01:55 PM
You're a n00b. Dont fret about wheeling.

Learn on a dirtbike. Trying to learn on a freshy new supersport is a good way to trash your bike and yourself.

If you must - look at youtube "how to wheelie".

It can and will get away from you very, very quick.

John712
09-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Send this guy a PM --->> http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&f=45 :D

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Send this guy a PM --->> http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&f=45 :D

It won't let me access that link.

Cakes206
09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Its a link to buckle up's profile...I'm sure he'll chime in at some point.

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
You're a n00b. Dont fret about wheeling.

Learn on a dirtbike. Trying to learn on a freshy new supersport is a good way to trash your bike and yourself.

If you must - look at youtube "how to wheelie".

It can and will get away from you very, very quick.

Trying to learn on a new bike is kind of stressful, hence why I haven't tried to wheelie it yet. I don't really have access to another bike to practice on. I am a noob but i have gotten pretty good on my bike, no chicken strips on my tires. I would like to basically take baby steps into doing wheelies, if possible.

njf4i
09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Well first thing you need to do is keep the down to earth mentality. Never think your good, great, or etc at riding. If you stay humble you'll keep learning.

As for wheelies, i sucked at them and really can't give you any advice. I mean you can always do the 1st gear power up wheelies. But be careful, you can't hit your front brake lever and expect to stop a looping bike.

SPL170db
09-06-2007, 04:48 PM
From a stop:

Clutch in,
rpms up to 12,500,
quickly release clutch.

All day fun

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
From a stop:

Clutch in,
rpms up to 12,500,
quickly release clutch.

All day fun

That works even better if I face uphill.:roflmao:

njracer
09-06-2007, 05:59 PM
From a stop:

Clutch in,
rpms up to 12,500,
quickly release clutch.

All day fun

Hey....that's my advise.....I think I will ban you from gixxer for using it without consulting mew 1st.:moocow:

OH yeah, I got dibs on the soon to be track bike for sale.:ride:

GIX750
09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
are you tryin to do stand up wheelies or sit down's?

Kennedy
09-06-2007, 07:13 PM
If you ever decide to sell your bike with a salvaged title please let me know first thing :)

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
are you tryin to do stand up wheelies or sit down's?

I haven't tried either, that's why I'm asking which ones would be easiest to start. e.g. clutchups, roll on power, stand ups. Basically I would like to know, with my bike what type of wheelie is easier to do as a start.

sonny
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
You're playing with fire buddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 07:30 PM
If you ever decide to sell your bike with a salvaged title please let me know first thing :)

Have some faith guys, I'm asking you guys before I start trying to pop her up so I can try and gain as much knowledge as I can. So I can start practicing wheelies without crashing.

sonny
09-06-2007, 07:57 PM
practicing and wheelies go hand in hand with crashing

it's gonna happen.

AkrapovicR6
09-06-2007, 08:45 PM
practicing and wheelies go hand in hand with crashing

it's gonna happen.
I know that, but it's a risk i'll take. That you tube video was pretty good, I'll try and follow that. And if I wreck my bike i'll just buy another one.

sonny
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I know that, but it's a risk i'll take. That you tube video was pretty good, I'll try and follow that. And if I wreck my bike i'll just buy another one.

Find a stunter and practice w/him, or her. Find someone with a 4stroke dirtbike..

wheelies are fun, just dont be a dumb0

Rev
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I am a noob but i have gotten pretty good on my bike, no chicken strips on my tires.

Just a hint...just because you don't have chicken strips, it doesn't make you good! And I'm sure you have chicken strips!

but if you really want to learn to wheelie, there is a site out there that you actually pay them to learn to wheelie. They let you ride thier specially custom bike made for wheeling with wheelie bars and all...

I forgot what the site is and don't feel like wasting my time to googling it...good luck on your mission :busa: If you really want to know all ron.google.com

Kennedy
09-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Dude if you just started riding keep riding and eventually it will come naturally. THROTTLE CONTROL IS KEY. Start off by doing power wheelies....they are very predictable. First gear power wheelies are probably the easiest because you know where the power comes on and where it doesn't so you wont get bucked off as if you clutched it up.

After you can hold your power wheelies for awhile try shifting into the next gear and hit second. Like I said this is all about throttle control. I've done back when I was into wheelies 1st gear power wheelie shifted to second and even then shifted to third. Once you become comfortable on your bike it comes naturally so if it's a new bike ride it alot FIRST. Then attempt to do wheelies once you know how its going to react.

Hopefully its just a phase because man that bike can do so much more than just wheelie!!! Good luck.....and when you get comfortable and want to try clutch wheelies ask me or someone you know can wheelie.

Kennedy
09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Just a hint...just because you don't have chicken strips, it doesn't make you good! And I'm sure you have chicken strips!

but if you really want to learn to wheelie, there is a site out there that you actually pay them to learn to wheelie. They let you ride thier specially custom bike made for wheeling with wheelie bars and all...

I forgot what the site is and don't feel like wasting my time to googling it...good luck on your mission :busa: If you really want to know all ron.google.com

If it's the site I'm thinking of someone just died on one of their bikes recently trying to learn how to wheelie........:moocow:

AkrapovicR6
09-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Dude if you just started riding keep riding and eventually it will come naturally. THROTTLE CONTROL IS KEY. Start off by doing power wheelies....they are very predictable. First gear power wheelies are probably the easiest because you know where the power comes on and where it doesn't so you want get bucked off as if you clutched it up.

After you can hold your power wheelies for awhile try shifting into the next gear and hit second. Like I said this is all about throttle control. I've done back when I was into wheelies 1st gear power wheelie shifted to second and even then shifted to third. Once you become comfortable on your bike it comes naturally so if it's a new bike ride it alot FIRST. Then attempt to do wheelies once you know how its going to react.

Hopefully its just a phase because man that bike can do so much more than just wheelie!!! Good luck.....and when you get comfortable and want to try clutch wheelies ask me or someone you know can wheelie.

Thanks for a real answer, I've just started looking for an older sportbike to do stunts on, so I don't have to worry about wrecking my new bike. And I don't want to be doing wheelies all the time, I just want to learn to do them so if I want to I can do it.

buckle up
09-08-2007, 03:05 AM
wow you guys really beat up on the poor guy he just wants to wheelie and you guys are like oh i got dibs on ur bike when you crash thats just not right:ohmygod:

some people wanrt to learn how to wheelie just to get over the fear of it and just incase the bike pops up that they can handle it with out spazzing out:ride:

every one has to start some where :nod2:

the cheapest thing for you to do is get on a quad or a dirt bike preferably a quad and learn brake control... brake control is when you clutch up the bike and use the rear brake like a pengilum to keep the bike from going over and from the frontend comming down ..you balance out the bike by feathering the rear brake and the throttle at the same time the more gas you give the more brake preassure you applie...you can learn this on the quad and transfer it to the street bike

its hard for me to type out all the steps but if you ever want to start learning i have a clean title stuntbike that is set up this way you dont have to mess up your nice bike

not sayin you will mess your bike up but there are only 2 types of riders...the ones who have been down....and...the ones who are gonna go down..
i know that is sort of harsh to say but it is very true..

but if you are willing and want to learn and know that it will come with some pain

hit me up i'll be more than glad to help some one out:cheers:

hell i still fall its just a part of the game;)

AkrapovicR6
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Well guys I managed to get some practice in before I parked it for the winter, I've gotten pretty good at the standups, just pushing down on the front forks and as it comes up rolling the throttle on and giving her a good pull. and I feel pretty comfortable hitting the balance point doing it this way. Over winter I'm dropping a tooth on the front sprocket and adding a Power Commander, so it should have a little more pop up ability. Anyhow I made it thru my first season without any accidents, and thanks to those who gave me some positive feedback.:ride: Look here no scratches or cracks.

causef0rconcern
11-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I've been trying to teach myself too dude. They are hard/scary/dangerous and fun as hell when you start to get it. I started over the summer doing first gear roll ons, now I'm working on 2nd gear standup/bounce ups. I've got the idea, its just holding onto it that I need to do. Once I find 12 oclock I usually shit my pants and drop back forward. I have however gotten a few awesome awesome ones that I had to put back down due to upcoming road conditions or a car coming or something. But yeah wheelies are a hoot. I want to be able to just bring it up on command and hold it indefinetly.

AkrapovicR6
11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
I've been trying to teach myself too dude. They are hard/scary/dangerous and fun as hell when you start to get it. I started over the summer doing first gear roll ons, now I'm working on 2nd gear standup/bounce ups. I've got the idea, its just holding onto it that I need to do. Once I find 12 oclock I usually shit my pants and drop back forward. I have however gotten a few awesome awesome ones that I had to put back down due to upcoming road conditions or a car coming or something. But yeah wheelies are a hoot. I want to be able to just bring it up on command and hold it indefinetly.

I hear ya! it took me about a month of screwing around with first gear rollon's before I started feeling more comfortable at 12 o' clock, It's a crazy rush doing stand ups at 130k I can't imagine doing a wheelie at 200k.

sonny
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
for some reason, i dont believe you're doing stand ups.

BOO THIS MAN

BOO.

AkrapovicR6
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
for some reason, i dont believe you're doing stand ups.

BOO THIS MAN

BOO.

Who gives a shit what you believe? Why would anyone just decide to make that up? And FYI I got to learn the standups cuz a good buddy of mine spent some time showing me how to wheelie and that is the way he taught me to do it, it aint Rocket science.

CBRBob
11-01-2007, 07:59 PM
As long as it's not on the street and you don't call your insurance co. when you crash, good for you!

causef0rconcern
11-01-2007, 08:21 PM
First of all, nobody said they were sick nasty at the one wheeled approach to sportbiking, so don't interpret either of our posts as stating we are stuntmaster superstars. Second, the only thing worse than people who go on forums and make up stories regarding their motorcycling abilities are people who accuse everyone but themselves of being that guy making shit up online. Supposedly there are alot of those out there, but don't throw AkR6 and I in the mix. I see no reason to try to discredit anybody.

Kennedy
11-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Look here no scratches or cracks.

How are those fork seals? :roflmao:

Glad to see you made it through the season alright.

AkrapovicR6
11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
First of all, nobody said they were sick nasty at the one wheeled approach to sportbiking, so don't interpret either of our posts as stating we are stuntmaster superstars. Second, the only thing worse than people who go on forums and make up stories regarding their motorcycling abilities are people who accuse everyone but themselves of being that guy making shit up online. Supposedly there are alot of those out there, but don't throw AkR6 and I in the mix. I see no reason to try to discredit anybody.

Exactly! I never said I was a superstar at wheelies Yet, but I just found the standups more comfortable for me, you guys might think that's weird, but I just feel I have more control that way, I don't know if it's cuz I'm a bigger guy or what but I just feel I can control it better, And let's face it what kind of Fuck mook posts up something about doing a wheelie and Lie about it. I'm not in High school, and I am the one that originally made this thread cuz I'm new and wanted some advice from more experienced riders. I have nothing to prove. Lying is for pussies.:ride:

AkrapovicR6
11-02-2007, 12:02 AM

Glad to see you made it through the season alright.

So far so good I didn't start trying the standups till close to the end of the season, so they didn't take too much punishment.

SPL170db
11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I am a noob but i have gotten pretty good on my bike, no chicken strips on my tires.

Is this someone else's bike you took a picture of then :P

http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4572&d=1193953868

AkrapovicR6
11-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Is this someone else's bike you took a picture of then :P

http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4572&d=1193953868

Hahaha I was wondering if any one would catch that, I actually took that pic. in the beginning of the season, my tires are pretty new in that pic. I didn't have any fresh pics. My tires are worn out now so I need new ones for spring. Keep in mind this was my first season of riding, so my lean angles slightly progressed over time, I'm no pro yet.

causef0rconcern
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM

My seals are fine...but I'm pretty sure everything else is shot...

Smokes35
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
So far so good I didn't start trying the standups till close to the end of the season, so they didn't take too much punishment.

Do you work out?

AkrapovicR6
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Do you work out?

Once in a while.

John712
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
i havent picked up the front in a long time lol....

i might just loop the fukkin thing if i started doing them again.

good for you, practice makes perfect..

sonny
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
WOW.

Asshattery galore, why dont your clown asses take a f'in joke.

John712
11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
easy guys, easy...

no need to get hostile..

why dont we all just have a coke and a smile...

Smokes35
11-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Once in a while.

Mostly cardio and aerobics?

nyskg
11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I found myself having most controll and most comfortable doing 2nd or 3rd cluchless standing wheelies.I felt it was easier over the sitting whieelies as you can balance the bike with your body .That was in the days when I was street rideing:ride:

AkrapovicR6
11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Mostly cardio and aerobics?

Yep, that mixed in with some yoga and pilates lol

AkrapovicR6
11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
WOW.

Asshattery galore, why dont your clown asses take a f'in joke.

Fair enough, didn't know if you were joking or just being a prick. No worries.

John712
11-02-2007, 04:00 PM
didn't know if you were joking or just being a prick.

OH NO, he was seriously being a PRICK!

:)

sonny
11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Only to you John, UPS 217.

High_Revs_17
11-02-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd rather be practicing this--->http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/John0217/powerslide12.gif

Cakes206
11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd rather be practicing this
Jake can teach ya.

SPL170db
11-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Pulled one of those on my moutain bike, no sweat.

http://www.wikihow.com/images/3/3f/Bcycldrft.jpg

Of course I can drag a knee on that bad boy too, so............

http://www.borked.us/albums/mofunny/bike_knee_drag.jpg

Ant
11-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I always thought stand ups were easier to control but sit downs were easier on the body. The biggest thing with stand ups is that you can actually see where you are going.

From back in the day:

Rev
11-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Hahaha I was wondering if any one would catch that, I actually took that pic. in the beginning of the season, my tires are pretty new in that pic. I didn't have any fresh pics. My tires are worn out now so I need new ones for spring. Keep in mind this was my first season of riding, so my lean angles slightly progressed over time, I'm no pro yet.

Some learn fast some learn slow....Kennedy learned to knee drag on his 3rd time on the bike....he was donig endo's on his 5th time out...dood is loco... ;)

Kennedy
11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Some learn fast some learn slow....Kennedy learned to knee drag on his 3rd time on the bike....he was donig endo's on his 5th time out...dood is loco... ;)

And then shortly learned how to drag ass:moocow:

SAXON117
11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Really want to know about wheelies? ask this guy. Hopper = Big wheelies!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/saxon117/Mrwheelie.jpg

High_Revs_17
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
That fuggin monster could probably hoist up the front in first gear from a dead stop. :moocow:

Really want to know about wheelies? ask this guy. Hopper = Big wheelies![/IMG]

buckle up
11-19-2007, 01:37 AM
That fuggin monster could probably hoist up the front in first gear from a dead stop. :moocow:i know my gix can
:P

madkaw
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
That fuggin monster could probably hoist up the front in first gear from a dead stop. :moocow:

You mean like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAfhJXd7jJA

or this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2p5DKB2XEE&feature=related

buckle up
11-25-2007, 05:44 AM
You mean like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAfhJXd7jJA

or this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2p5DKB2XEE&feature=related
WTF?? THAT GUY IS A PRO RACER??? BWAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHHA HE NEEED TO COVER THE REAR BRAKE:ohmygod: WHAT A MORON BUT HELL HE IS GETTING PAYED BIG MONEY TO BE AN ASS:doh: :lol:

yetidave
11-25-2007, 05:43 PM
If you really want to learn to wheelie post the question here.

http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

These guys will teach you quick. You'll be riding 100 mph stand ups in no time.

_Jay_
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Sell your bike and get a 1000. It will be much easier to learn on imo.

Kennedy
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Sell your bike and get a 1000. It will be much easier to learn on imo.

That sounds like great advice I would do this ASAP.

_Jay_
02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey I'm only here to impart knowledge. :lol:

AkrapovicR6
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I've got her figured aight now.:ride: