PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Fender Strat or Tele

jcblitz
08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for either a strat or a telecaster, mexican or japanese. I've only had les pauls before and I'm looking to pick up a low level strat/tele. I know some people play on here so I thought I'd put it out there.

causef0rconcern
08-23-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm actually in the market too. Can't decide what the hell I want though. Good luck man.

jcblitz
08-23-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking of just getting a squire (http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_squier_standard_stratocaster_electric_guitar?f ull_sku=510422%2e326%2e063) from guitar center and beating the piss out of it. I've played one next to a $800 american model and couldn't tell the difference besides the weight. I've never been a fan of the clean sounding fenders, they are too twanging for me, but some of the overdriven blues stuff I've been listening to lately sounds great on them. Not that I'm some awesome guitar player or anything, but I just started playing again after a 6 year break and can't get a close enough sound out of my epi les paul.

EvilSteve
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Depends so much on your amp setup though, that awesome dirty blues sound.

I have an Ibanez Universe, one guitar, so nothing to offer I'm afraid.

causef0rconcern
08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
I've been realizing lately that you really need the total setup for the awesome sound. I've been playing my 1973 Gibson L6-S out of crappy amps, so it sounded crappy. But plug that bad bitch into a Silvertone and forget about it.

I have a Mexican Squire Double Fat Strat that is surprisingly a really nice guitar. I wouldn't go for the baseline Squire Strats, they don't handle so nicely. But move up a notch or two up the Squire and they aren't bad for a $200 guitar.

jcblitz
08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Depends so much on your amp setup though, that awesome dirty blues sound.

I have an Ibanez Universe, one guitar, so nothing to offer I'm afraid.

I traded in my old amp for a Vox AD15VT (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/ad15-30-50-100vt.asp) two days ago. My other amp was 65 watts and way too loud for my apartment. This way I can overdrive it without getting a letter from the landlord...again. It sounds great and the built in models are all nice. I played both a LP and a strat on it in the store before I bought it. They both sounded good, but different.

I like ibanez guitars (especially their semi-hollows) but for some reason I can't play them for shit. Isn't the Universe the 7 string one?

RCM78
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
You cant go wrong with a mexican strat. They are almost as good as the americans. Some people even prefer them. The only difference is the hardware. The bodies and necks are the same as USA guitars.

Id say go for the strat over the tele. They're just more versatile.

I've been playing for 22 years and have had many guitars and amps over the years.

Right now my collection includes 8 guitars:
Peavey Wolfgang ST
50th ann. Fender American series Strat
Kramer Stagemaster
Kramer st600
2 USA Hamer Chaparrals
USA Hamer Diablo
Yammy Acoustic

For amps I have:
5150 2X12 Combo
Fender Blues JR
Soldano Astroverb head

My newest toy is a Line 6 POD XT Live

jcblitz
08-23-2007, 04:00 PM
You cant go wrong with a mexican strat. They are almost as good as the americans. Some people even prefer them. The only difference is the hardware. The bodies and necks are the same as USA guitars.

Id say go for the strat over the tele. They're just more versatile.

I've been playing for 22 years and have had many guitars and amps over the years.

Right now my collection includes 8 guitars:
Peavey Wolfgang ST
50th ann. Fender American series Strat
Kramer Stagemaster
Kramer st600
2 USA Hamer Chaparrals
USA Hamer Diablo
Yammy Acoustic

For amps I have:
5150 2X12 Combo
Fender Blues JR
Soldano Astroverb head

My newest toy is a Line 6 POD XT Live

I bought the line 6 pocket pod a few weeks ago and ended up returning it. 300 effects can't cover up the fact I'm not a good guitar player, so it went back until I'm worthy.

I'm so pissed I stopped playing so long after playing for a few years. I just hit a wall where I wasn't getting any better and lost interest. I'm self taught and basically ran out of ideas on how to improve. This time around I'm going to learn theory though and hopefully that will do the trick. Especially with things like youtube and all these tutorial sites, there is a ton of shit to help.

jcblitz
08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm now the proud owner of a used mexican strat. There is a guitar center 1/2 a mile down the road from my work and I was browsing their used selection online when I spotted an american strat for $399 (http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104432432) which I though was unbelievable so I said "brb" and headed down. I saw it right away and grabbed it. It sounded pretty nice, but it didn't sustain very well, the G had a buzz between the 5th and 7th frets, and it wasn't a standard strat, it had a humbucker and some other switch I've never seen. I also saw a mexican black strat next to it that they didn't have online for $299. I grabbed that bad boy and it was pretty spot on, it sustained much better, the tones were brighter, and no notable buzz. MINE! So now it's sitting in the back of my car begging for me to take a 1/2 day and go home.

Smokes35
08-24-2007, 12:04 PM
i played an ESP Eclipse-II the other day... and almost loaded in my pants...

That's the 2nd coolest guitar ever next to the new Randy Rhoads Jackson RR24... 24 fret, single humbucker harmonics MACHINE....

that is if ur a metal/rock head like me...

I love my brothers PRS tho--- if u got the scratch, PRS ALL THE WAY

EvilSteve
08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I like ibanez guitars (especially their semi-hollows) but for some reason I can't play them for shit. Isn't the Universe the 7 string one?
Yeah, 7 string. It's a bit of a laugh. It's B so just play it like the top B. Once you get used to it, it's actually pretty good. I like the width of the neck too. I've been waiting for Satriani to bring out a 7 string but I guess they're still waiting. He did a whole song on one of his albums called 7 using a 7 string JS model Ibanez but it hasn't been released yet.

If I was going to get another guitar, I'd get a Parker Fly (except that the necks are varnished which I hate because my hand sticks - I'm a sweaty bastard) or a PRS 24 fret fixed bridge. That'd be freaking sweet.

I've had several amps over the years but because I'm a lazy bastard (as well as sweaty it seems), I don't really practice and a little practice amp is all that I really need. I've been thinking about getting something nicer but I'm more interested in spending my money on motorcycles these days. ;)

Brian78
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
cool guitars

causef0rconcern
10-07-2007, 11:41 PM
So I splurged and bought an ESP strat body today. Holy fuckity fucking motherfucking shit IT PLAYS LIKE A GODDAMNED DREAM. kthxbye

Smokes35
10-08-2007, 10:48 AM
So I splurged and bought an ESP strat body today. Holy fuckity fucking motherfucking shit IT PLAYS LIKE A GODDAMNED DREAM. kthxbye

I told u ESPs are the shit... great buy dude

RCM78
10-08-2007, 04:53 PM
My Kramer Stagemaster was made by ESP for Kramer. It's essentially an ESP M1. Which is the model that predated the Mirage.

Most if not all the old kramers from the late 80's were made by ESP. They were assembled in NJ so they can get away with the "American" series on the headstock.

causef0rconcern
10-08-2007, 07:07 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/causef0rconcern/IMG_1242.jpg

It's an early nineties double cutaway/strat body..solid hardwood body (the sustain is amazing). The pickups are Seymour Duncan Hotrails with FULL COIL TAPS <3<3<3. Equating to...extremely warm humbucker tones, super awesome crunch...then flick of a switch and its a beautiful Tele twang or Strat single coil sound. I don't know the material of the neck 'cause I don't know too much about all that stuff, but the action is quite simply put - the most amazing thing in the world. You can smoothly a bend a note to the fucking moon and back without a hint of hesitation(and minutes of sustain). The action is...perfect. ESP licensed Floyd Rose tremolo that stays in tune like you wouldn't believe. I mean, full dive bombs recover to perfect tuning. The finish is one of those must-see-to-believes. Its a puff. I'm so impressed with the quality, fit/finish, and most importantly sound quality coming out of this guitar. ESP just made a believer out of me.

JCblitz - How is that Strat working for you dude?

RCM78
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice guitar. Looks like it has a flame maple top on the body, The body itself is most likely made of Alder. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard.

If you want to increase the warmth and sustain try blocking the floyd and unlocking the nut. This gives the strings a better connection to the body and headstock making the wood resonate more.

Believe it or not the floyd rose system kills alot of sustsain and lower resonant tones in guitars. I should know I have five guitars with Floyds. Three with Original Floyd Rose systems and two with licensed systems.

The difference between an original tremolo and licensed is the material the bridge is made of. Original's are made of hardened steel with brass blocks and hardened steel saddles. Licensed bridges are made of cast steel and cast saddles. Some have brass blocks but the newer ones are also cast steel. All licensed bridges are made by schaller and stamp whatever guitar manufacturer is using it onto the bridge.

The only other company that makes a hardened steel floyd style tremolo is Gotoh. They are used on Ernie ball music man guitars and Peavey Wolfgang guitars.

Smokes35
10-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Ibanez has the coolest replacement for the Floyd Rose in existance.

RCM78
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Ibanez has the coolest replacement for the Floyd Rose in existance.

Ibanez does not make a replacement for the floyd rose. They do make a very good version of it though. You cant remove an orginal floyd rose system and install an Ibanez edge system without drilling and cutting the body.

Original Floyd Rose, Gotoh Floyd Rose, and Ibanex Edge Pro are all equal quality but are slightly different designs.

Smokes35
10-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Ibanez does not make a replacement for the floyd rose. They do make a very good version of it though. You cant remove an orginal floyd rose system and install an Ibanez edge system without drilling and cutting the body.

Original Floyd Rose, Gotoh Floyd Rose, and Ibanex Edge Pro are all equal quality but are slightly different designs.

You know what i meant jerk face... The model that has the adjustment wheel thingy in the back with the quick lock switch thingy... its far more reliable and tunes more more reliably in my limited experience with it...