PDA

View Full Version : Rearsets

tommymac
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
After a lengthy discussion with cakes I am now going to be looking for new rearsets for the gixxer in hopes of a somewhat less agressive position to help alleviate my knee problems. I am looking at the vortex adjustable rearsets. Best I have seen is 326 I believe from the tpm parts club. Anyone have any other recomendations on other brands and/or where to shop for them?

Tom

CBRBob
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
They are about the best solution if you don't need them as dedicated and strong as a set of Woodcraft's. The adjustability is nice as well as the price. Remember, black wears off, just get them clear/silver anodized.

High_Revs_17
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
All that Cake's time at WCW seems to be paying off. :lol:

tommymac
08-22-2007, 03:20 AM
They are about the best solution if you don't need them as dedicated and strong as a set of Woodcraft's. The adjustability is nice as well as the price. Remember, black wears off, just get them clear/silver anodized.

I was prolly going to just get the silver anyway. I just want something a little less agressive and I think it will help being able to adjust them too.

Tom

carl_g
08-22-2007, 07:51 AM
I found with the adjustable ones, I got it to where it was most comfortable and left it there. Good luck.

Cakes206
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
All that Cake's time at WCW seems to be paying off. :lol:
LOL...At beaver I jumped on Tommy's bike to run to the pisser and though, "Damn these pegs are up high." And I'm no where near Tommy's height, lol. He was pondering getting a whole new bike because of his knees...I told him it was probably the rear sets and start with that...much cheaper fix too.

Kennedy
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
LOL...At beaver I jumped on Tommy's bike to run to the pisser and though, "Damn these pegs are up high." And I'm no where near Tommy's height, lol. He was pondering getting a whole new bike because of his knees...I told him it was probably the rear sets and start with that...much cheaper fix too.

Good eye kid good eye

SAXON117
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Dude I have the vortex rearsets and they are awesome, although I have mine up and back you can def. have them less agressive then stock, also work great as sliders if you down the bike, take it from one who knows:nod2:

VORTEX!

SPL170db
08-22-2007, 06:36 PM
After a lengthy discussion with cakes I am now going to be looking for new rearsets for the gixxer in hopes of a somewhat less agressive position to help alleviate my knee problems. I am looking at the vortex adjustable rearsets. Best I have seen is 326 I believe from the tpm parts club. Anyone have any other recomendations on other brands and/or where to shop for them?

Tom

Most aftermarket rearsets only move the pegs further up and back for better cornering ground clearance. Not sure what that is going to do for alleviating knee pain as it's certainly not a less aggressive position.

What you probably need are rearset relocating plates like these:

http://www.1tail.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={F92B8264-E9D2-413B-BB18-232C75D98F68}

http://www.1tail.com/cartimages/l/44038.JPG

Cakes206
08-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Most aftermarket rearsets only move the pegs further up and back for better cornering ground clearance. Not sure what that is going to do for alleviating knee pain as it's certainly not a less aggressive position.
Yea but however its set up now(I didn't take a look,) they're way up, and way back to where it was even uncomfortable for me(5'4") just in the paddock, I dunno how he does it at 6'3"ish(?). Definitely needs some sort of less aggressive mount.

tommymac
08-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Yea but however its set up now(I didn't take a look,) they're way up, and way back to where it was even uncomfortable for me(5'4") just in the paddock, I dunno how he does it at 6'3"ish(?). Definitely needs some sort of less aggressive mount.

What joe said. I already have rearsets on there, just not sure what brand, although I think theyre woodcrafts. Funny thing is the previous owner was around 6 foot.

I have to see how much my next paycheck is from the PT job to swing getting a set now as opposed to a few weeks from now. I am hoping to get them before I go to beaver but am not sure.

Tom

Cakes206
08-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Hmm...Tom, before you order a new set I would take some measurements, get some #'s for reference point, inform whoever you order from the issue you're having and the measurements, this way you can figure out what to get from there. Or if you go fully adjustable then you can get em to a point to where its not so aggressive.

tommymac
08-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Hmm...Tom, before you order a new set I would take some measurements, get some #'s for reference point, inform whoever you order from the issue you're having and the measurements, this way you can figure out what to get from there. Or if you go fully adjustable then you can get em to a point to where its not so aggressive.

My plan is to go with the adjustables and work it from there seems like its only a 20 or 30 dollar difference. I would be very wary of just buying another fixed set. I know jimmy has the adjustables too so I may see how his bike feels and go from there since they are so similar.

Tom

tommymac
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Also any recommendations on where I can get them for a good price;)

Tom

SPL170db
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, from what you are describing then, it sounds like you probably just want stock rearsets then as they will be mounted lower and more forward than just about any aftermarket rearset you're gonna find.

CBRBob
08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Take measurements from your bike as to where the peg is. Then find someone with the same bike with vortex on them and see if they can be mounted lower b4 you buy.

tommymac
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I am going to try to take a look on jimmys bike and see how they compare. I think he has the harris rearsets but are adjustable so hopefully that will give me a good point to start from then go from there.

Tom

Ant
08-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Just suck it up! Rule 76. lol

FigNewTon
08-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Just suck it up! Rule 76. lol
http://www.pimpyourshirts.com/catalog/76champsbox.jpg

Speaking of rearsets... I have been waiting for my Woodcrafts for a fuggin month:arrr:

Gigantic
09-01-2007, 08:38 AM
OSF Adjustables (http://trackdaymag.com/i?a=95) they're affordable & well made.